What is this? Looks like an oil slick with lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While I was transferring my Märzen from the Grainfather to a SS Brewbucket. I see an assortment of colors and what appears to be lines throughout. I mixed the batch after taking the picture and all seems fine. The fermentation chamber is now at 52f and it now looks completely normal. Any ideas?

IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg

now that i think about it...WTF is this? extract being poured down the side?

1646606565653.png

which would explain why it went away with stiring?

now that i think about it...WTF is this? extract being poured down the side?

View attachment 761879

which would explain why it went away with stiring?

That's the wort running down the side. I have the CFC hose set against the side of the brew bucket and it trickles down.

I see where you see the reflection of the siding, but that's not the lines that I was referring to, they actually go in the other direction (left to right, not top to bottom)

That's the wort running down the side. I have the CFC hose set against the side of the brew bucket and it trickles down.

I see where you see the reflection of the siding, but that's not the lines that I was referring to, they actually go in the other direction (left to right, not top to bottom)
Ahh, I thought that was too easy. The bubbles sometimes have that same sheen. But I am no help here, sorry

Probably.
Sure, the oil is floating on top, and you could rack from beneath it, but personally I'd call it a lesson learned (for us all), and start a new batch.

I use an oil less air compressor to blow out some of my lines (like the hose from the house bib to the back brew garage as it will freeze and draining and rolling up just to put it back out a week or 2 late is a PIA, and have never seen this issue. I always open the drain and blow out the air chamber to keep it dry and not allow condensation to build up in there. My old Sears compressor isn't around anymore would blow rusty water out when I would drain it, but on that one I never thought of it until I would hear the water sloshing around when carrying it. I would probably just let your batch go at this point and clean the heck out of everything. It might go unnoticed in the final product although I would taste test before sending it into a keg which would be one more thing to deep clean. I'd probably recommend a Dawn dish soap run to get rid of any oils followed by PBW and rinse.

Rather unlikely. There's hardly any hops in a marzen, and what is there is traditionally "light weight" of modest IBU, not a "bomb" strain...

Cheers!

Back