What is the strongest partial mash recipe you are aware of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
Trying to get a recipe for the highest alcohol content possible (for partial mash)..everything I look for seems to be All Grain which I am not set up for.

Thanks for any help..

AHS sells every kit in extract, mini, or all-grain. Their barleywines are 8%-9% and they have Belgians in the 10%+ range.

A little Googling or searching the forum will yield some high gravity martial mashes. Like this Belgian Tripel IPA

Is it possible to get up to 15% or higher you think doing partial mash? I have a 10 gallon brew pot and looking to do a 5 gallon batch.

Is it possible to get up to 15% or higher you think doing partial mash? I have a 10 gallon brew pot and looking to do a 5 gallon batch.

Seeing as the bulk of your fermentables usually ends up being extract, yes. Mash what specialty grains you want to include with enough 2-row or 6-row for conversion, add enough extract to hit your target OG, brew as normal, then wait a looooong time for a beer of that strength to mature.

As was mentioned this doesn't really have to do with all grain vs. extract, you can always dump in more extract. Your problem is going to be getting your yeast to do this. You'll need to pick a yeast with a really high alcohol tolerance, pitch a huge starter, etc. I'd focus on researching that part.

AHS has a Samiclaus clone kit...I've had one of the originals and I want to say it was around 11 or 12 percent. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The beer was good if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Actually I just looked it up...it's 14% Abv. I spelled it wrong too. It is spelled "Samichlaus". Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. Looking to make a really strong beer to bottle and age for a long time and crack one here and there with friends as a conversation piece more than anything..this gives me hope.

If you get some distiller's yeast and slowly feed it a bag or two of sugar after the first fermentation finishes up, you could hit 25%, although I don't think it would yield a tasty final product. You could always make an eisbeer out of it if 25% doesn't satisfy you.

Some all-grain brewers might not be able to brew an all-grain recipe above 1.060, to get to higher gravity, they'll add extract.

You can always add sugar too if extract is going to leave too high of a final gravity. If the point of this is to get high abv then sugar is definitely gonna help. If you want to be fancy about it you could use honey but any nice cheap sugar will do. Ferment your normal wort then add 1# of sugar per week until it has enough booze for you.

You can always add sugar too if extract is going to leave too high of a final gravity. If the point of this is to get high abv then sugar is definitely gonna help. If you want to be fancy about it you could use honey but any nice cheap sugar will do. Ferment your normal wort then add 1# of sugar per week until it has enough booze for you.

Adding sugar will dry out the beer and may be inappropriate for some styles styles. Generally, high OG styles have high FGs, taking into account the attenuation rates of yeasts that are commonly used for that style. Additionally, mixing sugar and poor temperature control could exacerbate flaws in your brewing process. You don't want to spend $80 on two cases of beer that have a very cidery taste with a side of hot alcohol.

Personally, I believe that big beers like this require a significant amount of planning and processes that routinely produce beers without off-flavors. If you're going to spend a lot of money on making a beer, you should try to make a great beer, not one that is only technically beer.

If he's just adding sugar, he's not spending much money. It's like 50 cents a pound. My advice was never meant to be taken as something that would make excellent beer, just as something that would raise the abv.

Trying to get a recipe for the highest alcohol content possible (for partial mash)..everything I look for seems to be All Grain which I am not set up for.

Thanks for any help..

This makes me think that he is looking for something that can get him really smashed. If you want the "highest alcohol content possible" then you want to use sugar. If he wants to go all-malt, then yeah ignore the comments about sugar but if you want cheap booze then sugar is the way to go. There are plenty of styles where sugar works great.

Back