What is the most you have reluctantly overpaid for a gift?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Drew

Reaction score
For some people, money is no object; for others, it is. The key to this questions is reluctantly. If the purchase didn't bother you, it doesn't belong here. If it did bother you, what was it and how much did you overpay?

There are at least two ways of looking at how much you overpaid for something. The first: the item in question retails for $50, but you paid $100, and second: the item in question retails for $4, but you paid an additional $4 to ship it. In both examples, the purchaser overpaid by 100%, but one purchaser obviously spent much more money. (And if paying $4 to ship a $4 item doesn't seem painful to you, this thread probably doesn't apply to you.)

My wife & I, at one point, used to out-do each other on gifts for Christmas, birthdays, sweetest day, etc. Gold, jewels, etc. I paid $600+ on a warlock guitar for her once, like Lita Ford played. Then a candy purple Mockingbird. Then a 2L Probe 5-speed in arrest me red. That one cost me 12K. She bought me a very nice black on black Strat that I turned into a bastardized frankenstein. I felt guilty spending that much money, versus the usual bills families have with young children. Then trying to have a life too. It always bugs me about the mark ups between the manufacturer & end sale point. And that Probe was a '95 I bought her in 97. I'll never go back to Clark Ford again. They had that place fenced in with a guard shack like a bloody luft stalag! Besides the greedy owners that still screwed me later after I talked them down. And some of those guitars were a bit pricy versus quality. But sometimes, ...just sometimes...ya just know it's the best, possibly only game in town atm. So whatcha gonna do?

My friend decided to get married this past weekend. While they gave us about six weeks notice that it was going to be this weekend, my schedule was tight and I couldnt buy tickets until they actually gave me a day. I bought tickets about two weeks ago. At a $600 premium over what they were when I looked a month prior. Then there was the hotel, parking, etc, etc.

I flat out offered her $500 instead of me going. It would have saved a lot of money, and I figured they could use it more than my presence. Nope. She wanted me there. So, reluctantly, I spent about $1100 on an overnight trip. Some people are more important than money (and some arent worth a dime).

Many years ago I attended a charity silent auction dinner. I decided that I just had to get the hockey stick signed by all of that year's Bruins. So I bid $200. I was basically broke, and had to borrow the money from my mom. My ex husband still has no idea how much I paid for that thing. Probably could've won it for $50.

Two days ago paid $230 for a purse. Hated doing it, have no idea what's so special about it to make it cost so much but bam shopping done in 10 minutes.

Back