What is the ideal min and max L/kg mash ratio for BIAB with infusion mashing (no sparging)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium82

Reaction score
I have been reading about this topic and have also tried to find an answer in the forum, but there seems to be no answer when it comes to infusion mashing.

I am sure a lot of people will say that it is a bit of a random question because I put "ideal" in the title, but I just want to be in the ballpark. I assume we could, say, a light APA (min) or an Imperial IPA (max) could represent the 2 ends of the "ideal" scale.

Thank you guys.

Interested to see what brewers have to say. I’m a “full volume BIAB masher”. I stopped paying attention to volume/weight mash ratios a long time ago. It just seemed to be irrelevant to final results.

If by infusion mash you mean a single infusion mash with a single batch sparge, I think the theoretical "ideal" is to divide your strike water and sparge water so that you get equal run offs...

There's a plot floating around here showing the effects of multiple sparges on efficiency... And if I recall the details correctly, you get diminishing returns on multiple sparges but for a single sparge, 2 equal runnings give you the max efficiency... So that means more water at strike to account absorption...

But the shape of the curves is such that it's not super sensitive to small variations in mash thickeness. Full volume mash with no sparge also works

but there seems to be no answer when it comes to infusion mashing.

All mashes are infusion mashes when you infuse water into the grains to mash.

There are lots of different opinions depending on the mash thickness you are looking for and if you're going to sparge or not. Thicker mashes 1.0-1.25 qts/pound Middle of the road 1.5-1.75 qts/pound to thinner mashes 2.0-3.0 qts/pound.

For my BIAB I mash thin, 2 qts/pound of grain. So for a 20 pound grist I'm mashing in with 10 gallons of water and sparging with 5 gallons to get to my preboil volume of 13.5-14.0 gallons.

Interested to see what brewers have to say. I’m a “full volume BIAB masher”. I stopped paying attention to volume/weight mash ratios a long time ago. It just seemed to be irrelevant to final results.
Right. I guess a recipe maker can deal with all what is relevant then and I shouldnt worry much about this either. That makes sense. :D

All mashes are infusion mashes when you infuse water into the grains to mash.

There are lots of different opinions depending on the mash thickness you are looking for and if you're going to sparge or not. Thicker mashes 1.0-1.25 qts/pound Middle of the road 1.5-1.75 qts/pound to thinner mashes 2.0-3.0 qts/pound.

For my BIAB I mash thin, 2 qts/pound of grain. So for a 20 pound grist I'm mashing in with 10 gallons of water and sparging with 5 gallons to get to my preboil volume of 13.5-14.0 gallons.
I think what makes things confusing is that I dont fully understand these terms. I think I need to use the term "single infusion" mashing. I dont plan on sparging.

I think what makes things confusing is that I dont fully understand these terms. I think I need to use the term "single infusion" mashing. I dont plan on sparging.
If you are doing full volume, no-sparge brewing, then water to weight ratio is irrelevant. You mash with as much water as necessary to get your target pre-boil volume, after accounting for your expected grain absorption. You would take a mash (specifically lauter) efficiency hit if you mashed with less water, and made up for it with dilution in the boil kettle or fermenter.

The answer is different if you are sparging, and different for different sparging options.

Brew on :mug:

I use a full volume mash if I'm only mashing at one temp. If doing a step mash I have to add boiling liquor so I start at 1qt / lb and when done stepping I'm at full volume and no sparge. Pull, drain and squeeze.

If you are doing full volume, no-sparge brewing, then water to weight ratio is irrelevant. You mash with as much water as necessary to get your target pre-boil volume, after accounting for your expected grain absorption. You would take a mash (specifically lauter) efficiency hit if you mashed with less water, and made up for it with dilution in the boil kettle or fermenter.

The answer is different if you are sparging, and different for different sparging options.

Brew on :mug:
I agree with this, and it is exactly what I do.
I BIAB with full volume and no-sparge, I use whatever water I need to in order to hit my pre-boil volume after absorption and losses - whatever the water to weight ratio turns out to be.

Sometimes if I'm brewing a high gravity beer and I can't fit all the grain and required water into my 10-gallon pot, I'll still use the required amount of water but I'll hold back a gallon or so and use that as a sparge in order to hit my pre-boil requirement.

Back