What is the best way to step up a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Belgian Quad and need about 380 billion cells. I only have a 2L flask. I do have a stirplate as well. I have read a few different write ups and referenced a couple different charts. But the info seems to be conflicting. I will be starting from a new vial of wlp530.

These two pitch rate/starter calculators will be of help. Cold crash between steps so you can pour off the spent wort before adding the new wort for step 2

I would not go higher than a 1.5 liters of starter wort in a 2 liter flask. Even with 1.5 liters in the flask the krausen produced with some yeast strains may still be an over flow.

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Starters can be fermented at room temperature. You will not need to propagate the yeast at the planned fermentation temperature of the beer.

Y'know, you COULD do the whole make one starter, decant, step up the dregs, etc. etc. thing OR you could just make a 2 gallon batch of a patersbier (or however big the calculator says) and use the yeast cake from that. If you're going to make a huge starter, might as well get some good beer out of it.

Y'know, you COULD do the whole make one starter, decant, step up the dregs, etc. etc. thing OR you could just make a 2 gallon batch of a patersbier (or however big the calculator says) and use the yeast cake from that. If you're going to make a huge starter, might as well get some good beer out of it.

Well, I learned a new word today! Will have to look into doing this, especially since I brew 3 gallon batches anyways.

Me too! The patersbier is a great idea. I wish I had the time. Seems I have hard enough time getting time to brew as it is. I guess I need to trust the calculators and give a step up a try. Still amazes me that 2 seperate 1L starters yield approx 33% more yeast cells than a 2L starter alone.

When the step up starter is a greater volume than the previous you will have even more new yeast propagated according to the calculators.

Back