What is the "best" HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on making a HERMS system here soon, and as I've studied different designs Im finding it difficult to reach a final decision on how I build it. If I want to have a separate vessel strictly for the Hex etc. I want to find a nice balance between effectiveness and simplicity. I know that those two things don't really align with HERMS, but there has to be some kind of middle ground.

Im unsure if I want it automated or not, leaning to the not side. And cost isn't an issue. But I do want to make it myself instead of just purchasing it. Any designs, ideas, or suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance yall!

From a transfer efficiency Standpoint I would actually recommend a rims system myself, and I say that as someone who owns a 15gal stout kettle e-herms system. I'm seriously considering removing my herms coil, buying another pump and a rims assembly, and using that for my mash instead of what I've got. There's too much wort left over in the coil and related tubing for my tastes at the end of the brew day.

Just something to consider if you've got the funds.

From a transfer efficiency Standpoint I would actually recommend a rims system myself, and I say that as someone who owns a 15gal stout kettle e-herms system. I'm seriously considering removing my herms coil, buying another pump and a rims assembly, and using that for my mash instead of what I've got. There's too much wort left over in the coil and related tubing for my tastes at the end of the brew day.

Just something to consider if you've got the funds.

Pump your sparge water through your HERMS coil.

"Best" is a very individualized spec in this case.

The design and build are half the fun! Good thing because it took me 3-4 of planning before ordering a single item or picking up a tool.

Think of and prioritize what is most important to you. Draw out a rough sketch just to see if it makes sense. Now close your eyes and go through a brew-day with this system, turning valves and lifting what needs lifted, etc. What don't you like? Any glaring "oh crap" epiphanies? Tweak and repeat, sometimes throwing away or changing large concepts. You just never know! I ended up modeling every component in SketchUp before the build and discovered even more changes.

If you're like the majority of nerdy-engineer brewers this will be fun, but either way it will use useful in the end. You don't have to go as deep down the wormhole as a lot of us do, but some basic brainstorming and planning are a must.

Pump your sparge water through your HERMS coil.

My HLT is my sparge source, so looping the output back through the herms coil is, while feasible, not ideal.

But this isn't my thread so while I could argue flow points all day long I'll agree with the point that the design is half the fun. Do your studying, figure out what path your water and wort will take every step of hone way, and have at it.

My HLT is my sparge source, so looping the output back through the herms coil is, while feasible, not ideal.

But this isn't my thread so woe I could argue flow points all day long I'll agree with the point that the design is half the fun. Do your studying, figure out what path your water and wort will take every step of hone way, and have at it.

The original poster wanted efficiency and simplicity. I believe pumping my sparge water through my eHerms coils helps with both. I also use my HLT Coil tank for sparge water. Running my sparge water down to my pump, up through the coil, and then into my MLT gets all the good wort out of pump, lines, and coil and as a bonus it cleans the inside of my coil. This is ideal for me and I see no disadvantages. It also reduces heat loss because the water is reintroduced to the heat of the HLT right before it goes to the MLT.

-
Craig

Well it doesn't help answer you questions, I agree with the above, really give the process you want to do some thought.

I originally wanted to end up with a three tier gravity system able to do at least 10 gallons and fit in my garage. I had it all figured out and a few good designs for the stand.

I really ended up with a single tier, two pump, three keggle, direct fired system... and love it.

Don't just think about what you want NOW, if your in it for the long haul then think about what you want a few years from now, ten years from now... I didn't/don't want to be lifting, moving, or climbing anything hot or heavy.

You're on your way, just take your time and enjoy.

I fully understand I need to do more research. I dont plan on pulling any kind of trigger before I am confident. I viewed this post as part of my research, not as a shortcut to an easy answer. I am looking to see if there is any kind of consensus on a whats "good and bad" regarding HERMS.

I know its an ambiguous question, which is why I said I know effectiveness and simplicity dont co-exist most of the time. But if any of you have any suggestions or things that you really think you couldn't live without on your set up let me know. Again, I know its different to each individual, I truly understand, I just wanted to see what different thoughts were out there.

I fully understand I need to do more research. I dont plan on pulling any kind of trigger before I am confident. I viewed this post as part of my research, not as a shortcut to an easy answer. I am looking to see if there is any kind of consensus on a whats "good and bad" regarding HERMS.

I know its an ambiguous question, which is why I said I know effectiveness and simplicity dont co-exist most of the time. But if any of you have any suggestions or things that you really think you couldn't live without on your set up let me know. Again, I know its different to each individual, I truly understand, I just wanted to see what different thoughts were out there.

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to be on HBT. I'm enjoying a quick lunch break and noticed this post so I thought I would put in my 2 cents.

The RIMS system seems to be a little more geared towards the electric setup while the HERMS can be used for gas or electric. Something to be careful of if using a RIMS setup is not to get the heating element too hot where it will scorch the wort. It is a nice compact setup compared to a HERMS system but does require electricity except for the pump. Most HERMS coils have the inlet and outlet coming through the sidewall vertically inline. Depending on your setup, the wort will gravity feed right out of the coil or like others have said, you can sparge through it while cleaning it (hot water) at the same time.

As far as the amount of feet you need, it's really a personal preference and depends on the batch size you brew. If you're doing 5 gallon batches, the 25' coil will do the job but if you're doing 10 or 15gal, you might want to go with a 50' coil. Going with a coil too small for the lager batches will require you to throttle down the flow which will also take longer for the mash volume to cycle. All it takes is a coil and a couple of bulkhead fittings to get started. Your fitting connection from there are up to you and your setup like going with Camlocks, hose barbs, tri-clamps or compression fittings with hard line. I hope this helps a little.

I think Kal's design has become the gold standard for eHERMS systems. There are certainly ways you could customize it for your needs but the basic process he uses is very solid and has been used by I'd easily guess hundreds of other homebrewers, many who bought their system from him and many who built their own, and it works.

I think the debate of RIMS vs HERMS is legit. I don't think one is clearly superior to the other. RIMS makes for a more agile system but has a few extra risks and requires greater caution and control. HERMS is a bit more lumbering but very hard to screw up and completely eliminates the possibility of scorching your mash.

I like the idea of a separate vessel for the hex, but honestly if I were to seriously consider that I'd ask myself why I don't just go with a RIMS system?

Back