What is the best grain mill for millet, rice, etc. ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfkain

Reaction score
If you don't biab, but do single temp. infusion, & step infusion, what grain mill have people found to effectively mill gluten free malts?
Thanks

You want a mill that allows for a narrow gap to accommodate the small grains. The monster MM2 works great for myself and many others here. Some also use Corona mills. I don't believe the Barley Crusher will go small enough. Just checking the specs...

You want a mill that allows for a narrow gap to accommodate the small grains. The monster MM2 works great for myself and many others here. Some also use Corona mills. I don't believe the Barley Crusher will go small enough. Just checking the specs...

Have you tried your MM2 with millet? Even on the closest gap, the knurls just not touching, you may still have to run it through a few times, but that's little effort.

I've milled regular rice on my MM2, and couldn't believe how hard that stuff is. I really started to worry about the mill's well being. You should always wear good eye protection with that (goggles), pieces fly everywhere.

Don't mill dried corn kernels on a roller mill, they will ruin the mill for sure. Use a proper corn mill for those, like a Corona or knock off.
I use flaked corn, and mill it finer before mashing for quicker conversion, that works fine. It's still hard stuff though.

I use the MM2 and it's been great with millet. You'll want to purchase a feeler gauge off amazon or an auto store to get consistent gap settings. I run my Millet and buckwheat at .65mm and rice at .90mm and they come out great, with good amounts of flour. You can always run it through twice if you want.

Before purchasing I was on the fence between the Barley Crusher and the MM2, and I'm glad I spent the extra money on MM2, as the Barley Crusher doesn't seem to get small enough gaps.

One strong consideration should be which drill you have to power the mill. My fully charged 18v battery powered drill had no where near the torque needed to run the rollers at these mil gaps. You could probably get away with it if you start at wide roller gaps and run it through the mill a few times making it narrower each run. IMO, just find a used electric drill if you don't have one, its well worth it.

I can't remember who it is, but someone on here has the MM3. I recall they mentioned in a post that they wish they'd gone with the MM2. Not sure why but take it for what it's worth.

I use the MM2 and it's been great with millet. You'll want to purchase a feeler gauge off amazon or an auto store to get consistent gap settings. I run my Millet and buckwheat at .65mm and rice at .90mm and they come out great, with good amounts of flour. You can always run it through twice if you want.

Before purchasing I was on the fence between the Barley Crusher and the MM2, and I'm glad I spent the extra money on MM2, as the Barley Crusher doesn't seem to get small enough gaps.

One strong consideration should be which drill you have to power the mill. My fully charged 18v battery powered drill had no where near the torque needed to run the rollers at these mil gaps. You could probably get away with it if you start at wide roller gaps and run it through the mill a few times making it narrower each run. IMO, just find a used electric drill if you don't have one, its well worth it.

I can't remember who it is, but someone on here has the MM3. I recall they mentioned in a post that they wish they'd gone with the MM2. Not sure why but take it for what it's worth.

+1 to all of this. My MM2 works great. I use a corded drill with ease.

I believe GlutardedChris said the MM3 was unnecessary because the first roller is not adjustable and is used to break down larger grains before they pass to the smaller rollers.

Just to add to this, I have the MM-2 and had trouble getting rice malt to go through, I had to go above 1mm. Based on glutarded-chris's advice, now I run rice and millet together at 0.5mm. It sounds like it wouldn't work because it's really small for rice, but at a ratio of ~10lb millet:~4lb rice it works fine. Just make sure to mix them together well. I also run the mixture through twice.

Latest posts

Back