what is keg jumping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefallnick

Reaction score
I was reading in another thread someone talking about keg jumping, I was wondering if someone could explain what this is and how it works?
Thanks

Haven't seen the thread, but my guess is it's basically transferring from one keg to another. Often times done to filter the beer. All done in a closed system to limit contact to oxygen. Beverage out on one keg to Beverage out on the other.

too funny drat... but that was shark jumping that Fonzi did and you're right Happy Days just wasn't the same after that...thus promoting the phrase "Jump the Shark".

Would it be possible to use this method to transfer beer from a regular sized commercial quarter to small corny kegs? My local brewery doesnt sell the slim kegs...

I've transferred five gallons from a 15 gallon sanke keg to my corny keg (the party people sucked and couldnt finish a full 15 gallon keg of DFH 60 min). Just pumped it directly into the corney main hole, there was a lot of foam, which I was hoping would prevent oxidation. I purged anyway, after filling, just to be safe, and I'm yet yet to taste any signs of oxidation (its been a month).

Haven't seen the thread, but my guess is it's basically transferring from one keg to another. Often times done to filter the beer. All done in a closed system to limit contact to oxygen. Beverage out on one keg to Beverage out on the other.

Yeah, I tried it recently to fill one of my 3 gallon kegs for traveling. You connect two kegs (liquid post to liquid post) and force the beer from one keg to the other. If you keep the lid on and occasionally pull the relief valve, foaming will be kept to a minimum.

oh wow, sweet this is awesome, I was worried that I would have to build a fridge that would fit a regular quarter but now maybe its better to just transfer it to corny kegs. I believe I saw a pic where a guy had a torpedo sixth and then a corny keg next to it, that would fit my needs precisely.

Back