What is happening here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just about half an hour ago, I just ran downstairs armed and ready. Turns out my barrel is doing something interesting. I've had my toasted coconut porter in the barrel for about 3 weeks now. Just today the cork blew off and it started spewing like this... What happened!?

Prior to this beer being in the barrel, I had a belgian tripel in it for a few weeks. Nothing like this happened. Between the two (about 6 months apart), I had a 40/60 mixture of everclear and water in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having not used a barrel, alittle more info. please. Is this used as your primary? With or without an airlock? Or are you using it for storage/conditioning after fermentation is finished? Did you add more fermentables?
Assuming fermentation was complete before transfer, has there been a sudden temperature or atmospheric pressure change? Something that might cause CO2 to outgas. If that's not the case, I'd be worried about infection.

Technically it's a third. I transferred out of the primary into a very well sanitized secondary and added the toasted coconut. Then after a week with the coconut I transferred it into the barrel. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a dramatic pressure change. I don't know how I feel about it being infected.

I doubt it's a change in pressure. Looks like a lot of foam AKA CO2 coming out of there. Excess CO2 means it's warmed since the CO2 was created, thus coming out of solution, or excess CO2 was created due to unexpected fermentation (infection!). I'm guessing it's the latter, given it's a wooden fermentor :)

Are you force carbing in kegs? Time to transfer and chill and drink. If bottling, probably need to wait it out and see where she goes. I'd get a hydro right now and start monitoring weekly.

Well I'm taking it to my friends place on Friday. We're going to keg it and force carb it, then in a few days we're canning it!

I would assume an infection as well.

On a different note, canning huh? lol That is pretty cool for home brew

If its infected, I hope it's at least a good infection. I do love good sour beers. It's still bubbling as of this morning. I put a ghetto airlock on it though. No more foam is pouring out, just CO2.

As for the canning, my friend bought a canning line. The biggest downside is that you can only really buy cans by the pallet, so he's got a lot of them. He's letting me use his equipment and cans for $40. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

If its infected, I hope it's at least a good infection. I do love good sour beers. It's still bubbling as of this morning. I put a ghetto airlock on it though. No more foam is pouring out, just CO2.

As for the canning, my friend bought a canning line. The biggest downside is that you can only really buy cans by the pallet, so he's got a lot of them. He's letting me use his equipment and cans for $40. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Would you mind snapping a bunch of pictures of this canning process? Then, post? I'd love to see what that looks like.

That's a cool friend to have. What will the cans look like? Are they just plain, or did you manage some artwork?

I was just wondering if maybe the Belgian yeast might've gotten into the wood of the barrel & caused this to happen? But I'd definitely like to watch the canning process as well! That's really cool! :rockin:

He must be a serious homebrewer to shell out that money for a canning unit. I'm guessing the cost new was along the price of a mid level car.

Do you guys brew a lot at one time? I couldn't see it being worth the money for a 5 gallon batch running 48 cans through lol

He must be a serious homebrewer to shell out that money for a canning unit. I'm guessing the cost new was along the price of a mid level car.

Do you guys brew a lot at one time? I couldn't see it being worth the money for a 5 gallon batch running 48 cans through lol

Worth the money? Definitely not. Still cool as all hell? You betcha! :mug:

I hope the beer turns out well and that if this was an infection (which was my guess upon reading OP and it appears to be many other's guess as well) that it turns out to end up being a good thing! Keep us updated.

Worth the money? Definitely not. Still cool as all hell? You betcha! :mug:

I hope the beer turns out well and that if this was an infection (which was my guess upon reading OP and it appears to be many other's guess as well) that it turns out to end up being a good thing! Keep us updated.

Oh yeah either way it is still a cool toy to have. I think if I had one I'd be doing 15 or 20 gallon batches at a time. That thing must can a 5 gallon batch in under 2 minutes lol

Latest posts

Back