What is a keggel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber8302

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but I have searched this site and haven't found an answer. What is a keggel for? Is it just a larger brew pot or is it for all grain brewing only. I'm asking because I was given an empty keg and I'm wondering if I can do something to it to make a larger brewing pot.

A keggle is a keg that you convert into a brew kettle. You cut a hole in the top and some valves, dip tube, sightglass, thermometer.....whatever you like. They are a 15.5Gal pot when done.

Ask your wife :)

No, wait, that's different. A keggle is a beer keg (usually a 1/2 bbl) with the top removed that is used as a boil kettle.

pfowl beat me to it! None of the extras are really necessary, but dumping 10 gallons of boiling wort without a valve is not recommended. There are a ton of how-to's on this site as well as on the net. I depressurized mine, removed the spear (valve and tube) and used my plasma cutter to cut out the top. You can do it with a dremel or sawsall or angle grinder as well.

image-2935213517.jpg

That is a keggle, I have 3 and use them for all parts of AG brewing. They are nice for making 10 gallon batches.

Ok, so could I make one and use it for extract brewing, using a larger boil and adding less water after the boil? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I am extremely new at this.

planecrazy29 said:
Ask your wife :)

No, wait, that's different. A keggle is a beer keg (usually a 1/2 bbl) with the top removed that is used as a boil kettle.

pfowl beat me to it! None of the extras are really necessary, but dumping 10 gallons of boiling wort without a valve is not recommended. There are a ton of how-to's on this site as well as on the net. I depressurized mine, removed the spear (valve and tube) and used my plasma cutter to cut out the top. You can do it with a dremel or sawsall or angle grinder as well.

Haha! I did a google search and that was what keep coming up! Thanks for the info!

Yep it is just a big pot. Probably overkill for 5 gallon extract brews, but a great cheap option if you are thinking of upgrading.

They are wonderful due to the Stainless Steel they are made of. Search around HBT and check out the incredibly sophisticated setups some users have put together with them. Also, get ready for some harsh language regarding how to obtain a keg legally!

Ok, so could I make one and use it for extract brewing, using a larger boil and adding less water after the boil? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I am extremely new at this.
sure you can.

Keggles are great if you can get the keg cheap, but today big stainless pots are cheaper and more available than they were in the early days.

Latest posts

Back