What instrument should I learn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
learn the guitar. i play a little bit of everything, been playing guitar for over 20 years though, that was my first.

thing is, you can practice drums without a drum set. you can practice in your head even. guitar though, you really need a guitar in hand to practice it. guitar is cheaper, more mobile, and generally more fun, and less energy used. (lazy)

Not sure if I agree with this statement....

Maby you can explain it?

drumming is about timing, about hand eye coordination, and about technique more so than about musical "talent", or "scales", etc.

with a guitar, it's more about scales, chords, memorization certain finger placements, strumming patterns, etc.

if you want to practice a mixolydian scale, you kind of need a guitar in hand to practice it and fully reap the benifits of the practice.

if you want to practice a paradiddle, you can do that with your hands on your knees, or your teeth inside your mouth, or by simply repeating "right left right right, left right left left" over and over in your head. if you want to practice your hand/foot independence, you can sit in your chair at work and bounce your high hat foot in time with the 1, 2, 3, 4, while bouncing your bass drum foot with the 1, 3, 1, 3, and then throw in your snare hand on the 2, 4, 2, 4, and then for fun take your other hand, and play a 1,2,3, 1,2,3, in a 3/4 pattern to try to mess yourself up.

just being a long time musician, and player of both insturments, it's my opinion that because of these reasons, it's MUCH easier to "practice" drums, or learn drums, and get much better on drums, without ever having to touch a single drum.

drumming is about timing, about hand eye coordination, and about technique more so than about musical "talent", or "scales", etc.

with a guitar, it's more about scales, chords, memorization certain finger placements, strumming patterns, etc.

if you want to practice a mixolydian scale, you kind of need a guitar in hand to practice it and fully reap the benifits of the practice.

if you want to practice a paradiddle, you can do that with your hands on your knees, or your teeth inside your mouth, or by simply repeating "right left right right, left right left left" over and over in your head. if you want to practice your hand/foot independence, you can sit in your chair at work and bounce your high hat foot in time with the 1, 2, 3, 4, while bouncing your bass drum foot with the 1, 3, 1, 3, and then throw in your snare hand on the 2, 4, 2, 4, and then for fun take your other hand, and play a 1,2,3, 1,2,3, in a 3/4 pattern to try to mess yourself up.

just being a long time musician, and player of both insturments, it's my opinion that because of these reasons, it's MUCH easier to "practice" drums, or learn drums, and get much better on drums, without ever having to touch a single drum.

Right on, I see what your saying. However you and I both know that's nothing compared to laying down some heavy a$$ beats with a full kit.

Do whatever you have the most fun with.
Just remember that if you take up drums, don’t make a single beat during sound check until the guitar player starts tuning up.

Back