What if a yeast starter DOES NOT increase # of cells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyBlueprints

Reaction score
Very interesting article/interview from HBT this morning, with Neva Parker from White Labs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/science-suds-interview-neva-parker-white-labs.html

The most shocking comments she made was the answer to the last question. This directly contradicts what I have read almost everywhere about yeast starters:

what I always try to guide people towards is the right way to make a starter, or at least understanding that a starter in and of itself is not growing a whole bunch of new yeast. I think that’s just a misconception that people have about starters in general. You know, “I’m just going to take a package of yeast that I buy, throw it into a one- or two-liter starter, and I’m just going to double or triple or quadruple the amount of yeast that I have,” but that’s just not true. There’s not enough food and nutrients there to have that happen.

If the yeast starter is not greatly increasing the cell count to 200 Billion or more, then aren't we going to under pitch a batch if we take some of the starter to make a new starter, and/or "wash" some of the starter batch?

Sounds like them trying to sell more yeast. If that's the case then I have been underpitching for years without any negative results.

Very interesting article/interview from HBT this morning, with Neva Parker from White Labs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/science-suds-interview-neva-parker-white-labs.html

The most shocking comments she made was the answer to the last question. This directly contradicts what I have read almost everywhere about yeast starters:

If the yeast starter is not greatly increasing the cell count to 200 Billion or more, then aren't we going to under pitch a batch if we take some of the starter to make a new starter, and/or "wash" some of the starter batch?

The first line of the quote is the key. "guide people towards is the right way to make a starter,"
The right way of making a starter is not expecting a pack of yeast with 1% viability to grow into 200 billion cells with a one liter starter wort.

Back