What hops play well together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at making a decent sized base wort, and then doing 4 different IPAs using different hops. I want to see which I enjoy, and what some of the main differences are. I have a pretty good assortment, and the main hops for each IPA are:

Amarillo
Simcoe
Columbus
Citra

Some other hops I'd like to use:
Nugget, Magnum, Centennial, Calypso, Galena. I have quite a few others, but only an ounce or two of each.

What my base wort is shaping up as:
(For each four gallon break down)
OG: 1.064 Color: 9.8 SRM
7 lbs 2row
2 lbs Munich
1 lb wheat malt
.5 lb barley flaked
.25 special B

Not looking to make over the top hoppy ales, but something in the middle of the style (around 55 IBUs for each batch). And I've heard too many comments that SMaSH brews are boring, and I'd like to make them enjoyable for myself and friends.

I like the idea of a hop experiment to explore the flavors of the different varieties. In my limited experience your main 4 are all very tasty options.

If you want to use the primary hops in combo with other flavoring hops I think centennial would be a good option as a secondary flavoring hop.

Bitter with your magnum/nugget/galena,
2.5-3 ounces Amarillo/Columbus/Simcoe/Citra,
1-1.5 ounces Centennial,
in some combination of 15-0 minute & dry hop additions.

I will warn you that a quarter pound of Special B is going to add a distinct flavor to your beer. Maybe you already know that and like the taste, in which case go for it. However it may not allow you to get the best picture of what your hop flavors are doing, and is not traditional for a pale ale/ipa.
Besides that your grist looks tasty.

Latest posts

Back