What gets sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
Am I correct that things that will be boiled for at least five minutes don't need to be sanitized?

For instance, my copper coils used to lower the temperature after the boil: If I put that in at least five minutes before the end of the boil, is there any reason to sanitize it? Likewise, the bit pot in which I boil the brew.

Thanks.

Mark

Correct, i usually put my coil in the last 15min, you need to sanitize anything and everything the comes in contact with you beer after the boil is over and you are bringing the temp down,

In order to play it safe, get a cheap spray bottle and put sanitizer in it. Then spray everything. It definitely won't hurt. If in doubt, spray it.

Correct, i usually put my coil in the last 15min, you need to sanitize anything and everything the comes in contact with you beer after the boil is over and you are bringing the temp down,

+1 on giving the chiller 15 min in the boil to sanitize and +100 on having a spray bottle of Star San on hand.

If it hasn't been freshly boiled, everything that touches my wort or beer at any point after it starts chilling gets the Star San treatment.

One handy item that I bought after reading here about it is a plastic wallpaper glue tray from Lowes. Just a few bucks and it's very handy for dunking smaller items (like spoons, airlocks, thermometers, etc.) in Star San.

Thanks! I particularly liked the suggestion for a spray bottle with sanitizer; very useful!

Mark

Back