What does Chlorine Residual Combined mean on my water report.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbizle

Reaction score
I've never bothered to filter out chlorine or use campden tablets in my water because I've never noticed it being a problem and neither have judges until recently I noticed a plastic taste to my Belgian IPA. So research lead me to looking at my water report again since I use that for mash ph and mineral adjustment in bru'n water and I see this:

Chlorine Residual Combined NH2Cl
MAX: 4.3
MIN: 2.4
AVG: 3.8

Does combined mean chlorine and chloramines? If so, would I need to carbon filter and use campden tabs?

Also is 3.8 avg high?

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what their interpretation is, but the water company has applied the monochloramine formula in that heading. Chloramines can exist in three forms: monochloramine, dichloramine, and trichloramine (nitrogen trichloride). The prevalent species is dependent upon the molar amount of hypochlorite added. The "combined" value should be the sum of any of these three forms.

In any case, the amount of chloramine in that water is typical for municipal drinking water systems. Yes, that level of chloramines can easily produce chlorophenols in beer brewed with the water. Since the disinfectant is chloramines, I recommend using the campden tablets since its cheap, quick, and effective. Removing chloramines with a carbon filter requires either a very large filter or a very slow flow rate. Most brewers find that a carbon filter is not ideal for removing chloramines for those reasons.

I'm not quite sure what their interpretation is, but the water company has applied the monochloramine formula in that heading. Chloramines can exist in three forms: monochloramine, dichloramine, and trichloramine (nitrogen trichloride). The prevalent species is dependent upon the molar amount of hypochlorite added. The "combined" value should be the sum of any of these three forms.

In any case, the amount of chloramine in that water is typical for municipal drinking water systems. Yes, that level of chloramines can easily produce chlorophenols in beer brewed with the water. Since the disinfectant is chloramines, I recommend using the campden tablets since its cheap, quick, and effective. Removing chloramines with a carbon filter requires either a very large filter or a very slow flow rate. Most brewers find that a carbon filter is not ideal for removing chloramines for those reasons.

Thanks Martin. Since I have a filter already but never used it, I'll be doing both filter and tabs from here on out.

The filter can still be useful for removing off-flavors in the water, so all is not lost. Do understand that some of those off-flavors require that the water move slowly through the filter to achieve removal. For the typical 10" under-sink filters, inserting a plate in the hose with a 1/16" hole in it provides about a 1 gpm flow rate which is desirable.

II see this:

Chlorine Residual Combined NH2Cl
MAX: 4.3
MIN: 2.4
AVG: 3.8

Does combined mean chlorine and chloramines? If so, would I need to carbon filter and use campden tabs?
Those numbers are sums of the equivalent amounts of free chlorine in hypochlorite ion, mono chloramine, dichloramine (of which there will be little) and nitrogen trichloride (of which there will be none).

Also is 3.8 avg high?
Not perhaps leaving the utility's clearwell but at the tap yes, it is high.

Those numbers are sums of the equivalent amounts of free chlorine in hypochlorite ion, mono chloramine, dichloramine (of which there will be little) and nitrogen trichloride (of which there will be none).

Not perhaps leaving the utilities clearwell but at the tap yes, it is high.

Can Chlorine and/or Chloramines contribute to harshness or astringency in the final beer product. I've noticed in all of my score-sheets the judges always say "slight astringency" and I'm not sure where this is coming from since I take care in acidify my sparge water to 5.6, batch sparge under 170F and always vorlauf about a couple gallons. So I'm thinking maybe its the chlorine since I've never bothered to remove it.

No, they contribute a band aid, plastic-like or smokey flavor and aroma.

Judges often can't think of any thing to say and tend to offer up something like 'slight astringency' to fill out the score sheet. Hard to challenge as 'slight' isn't exactly in your face.

No, they contribute a band aid, plastic-like or smokey flavor and aroma.

Judges often can't think of any thing to say and tend to offer up something like 'slight astringency' to fill out the score sheet. Hard to challenge as 'slight' isn't exactly in your face.

Ok good to know, Thanks.

Can Chlorine and/or Chloramines contribute to harshness or astringency in the final beer product. I've noticed in all of my score-sheets the judges always say "slight astringency" and I'm not sure where this is coming from since I take care in acidify my sparge water to 5.6, batch sparge under 170F and always vorlauf about a couple gallons. So I'm thinking maybe its the chlorine since I've never bothered to remove it.

My experience is that you can invite a low astringency into your beers if you fail to stop your final runnings early enough. The general rule of thumb is to stop at 2 brix, but I was still getting a hint of astringency in my beers. That went away when I changed my stopping point to 3 brix. So that rule of thumb may not always be applicable. Give this a consideration.

My experience is that you can invite a low astringency into your beers if you fail to stop your final runnings early enough. The general rule of thumb is to stop at 2 brix, but I was still getting a hint of astringency in my beers. That went away when I changed my stopping point to 3 brix. So that rule of thumb may not always be applicable. Give this a consideration.

Sounds good I will try this on my next brew thanks!

If you want adequate chloramine treatment from a single 10" x 2.5" carbon filter you'll want to be well below 1 gpm.

1 gpm is typically the sec for MAX flow rate for chlorine removal on that size filter. Chloramine requires greater contact time.

Russ

Back