What do you drink in winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So in summer I drink a lot of lagers and pale ales. In winter I switch to ESB and porters. IPAs are good year round. I'm just curious if everyone else switches beer styles in winter or not.

On a side note, it's time to start brewing beers for winter, and I'm trying to decide what to make, so feel free to throw in what you're planning to brew for consumption once the snow starts flying.

Only difference of style I drink are new seasonables that come out. Otherwise I think I tend to drink anything, but more browns porters and stouts and maybe bigger maltier style beers in fall. Dang,now I dont have much of any of those right now. A good brown ale sounds really comforting about now.

Only difference of style I drink are new seasonables that come out. Otherwise I think I tend to drink anything, but more browns porters and stouts and maybe bigger maltier style beers in fall. Dang,now I dont have much of any of those right now.

Same here. I pick up a lot of the winter warmers and other seasonals that come out, as well as brown ales, stouts, and darker Belgian ales. Right now I still have a big stock of IPAs from summer that need to be dealt with. Darn. :D

I mostly drink Korbel brandy, mixed with eggnog. And brandy Old-Fashioneds. And Scotch.

As for beer, it's darker stuff - porters, stouts, the like - that are often preferred, but I'll drink anything.

Just kegged up an Oktoberfest, Nut Brown, Irish Red and an IPA. The first three are nice and malty - great for our brisk fall weather. And hey, a good IPA is good all year round!

I tend to drink more brown ales, porters, and malty lagers in the fall. My favorite fall beer though is a nice dunkelweizen. As winter comes it's barleywines, stouts, winter warmers, Trappist ales, etc. Warming and strong.

We don't have winter here. More like an extended fall.

That said, I don't drink too much stout or porter. I'll drink more DIPA than usual, more reds, more strong Belgians, and less in the blond/hefe/Berliner categories. When I do go dark, it's milk stout (my own) or New Belgium 1554 (for commercial beer)...

I love dark winter beers. Boulevard Nutcracker, Anchor Steam Christmas Ale are faves.

This year, I brewed a Dubbel, a Weizenbock, and Irish Red, A Bourbon Barrel Quad, an Imperial Pumpkin, and I have a year old Wee Heavy. I am ready and I am looking forward to winter weather.

Stouts(oatmeal and RIS), scotch ales, barley wines, basically anything dark and malty! Here in MN I need something that warms my blood and goes good with a nice chili or roast.

Winter Warmers are the only style that I will start drinking in Fall/Winter that I don't the rest of the year. However I will double down on my porter, stout, RIS, and barleywines. It really is the most wonderful time of the year!!!

I'm an IPA guy, all year long. I only brew when it's cold out. The only thing that changes in the fall is I start adding a little more crystal, munich, and wheat.

I drink just about anything all year around. I just made a citrus wheat and kegged a strong ale. I always have a pale, ipa, and kolsch on hand.

Back