What Do You Do When Something Shows Signs of Greatness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
I have brewed a lot this year, and I mean A LOT! Like, if it wasn't for my wife and 18 year old daughter, I would be WELL over the federal limit.

I have made some stinkers (failed Black Pearl Porter) and some really good stuff (recent Vanilla Cream Ale), but just this weekend had a "tasting party". 5 kegs on tap: Skeeter Pee (party pleazer for sure), Apfelwein (4th batch and getting it fine tuned to Panty Dropper), Dark and Gingery (self recipe), Cherry Hefeweizen, and a Vanilla Cream Ale. I had a bigger than expected turn out (hmmm free all you can drink alcohol, who would've expected that?!?!?!? :mug: )

Since I had busted out all the stops, I popped my "overage" of my Kentucky Rye and House Saison that are still conditioning. The overage (more than what can fit in a 5 gallon secondary), I carb up by adding priming sugar in 1L Swing Tops. The Kentucky Rye wasn't ready, and to be fair, the most recently brewed of the two, but the Saison...well it was demolished instantly (2Ls of it) to raving reviews. It is the deepest ruby red I have seen when held up to the light, tasting notes of the honey, a subtle hop, and just a full body flavor palet that makes you want to talk about what's going on in your mouth (that's what she said :ban: )!

The problem? It has only been fermenting since 10/7/13 and I didn't plan on transferring to a secondary until today where I would let it sit for a week. Given where it is, should I stick to the plan, or just keg it now and celebrate the good fortune of hitting one out of the park?

I can't decide what to do but want to guard against the impatience of inexperience and appeal to the masters.

Will it better after a week in a secondary, or am I in the sweet spot?

I'd be interested in seeing your Saison recipe. I've tried to make a few darker saisons, but wasn't happy with the body profile.

I'd say stick with the plan. Saisons usually respond really well with age, so if it's this good now, it might be even better in a couple weeks!

And if it doesn't get better, you'll have that incredible memory of how good it was fresh for next time, so you can drink it sooner!

I would also love to see that recipe :)

take a sample from the fermenter and taste it sober with a cleansed palette. if you think it's ready, keg it. if you think it would benefit from more time, age it. good time to get a final gravity reading either way.

Back