What do they mean by "steep?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I'm planning on modifying my Kolsch recipe to make a lemon-lavender version. I've never used lavender before so referred to the BYO chart for using spices. (https://byo.com/images/stories/brewspices.xls) Under the heading "When added to brewing process" they say lavender should "steep." What do they mean? I brew all grain and there is no point of the process called "steep." I mash, sparge, boil, cool and ferment. So... what do they mean by "steep?"

In extract with grains you would steep the grains like making tea when you "let it steep". Put them in the warm water (155F) for a certain period of time to get the flavors to dissolve into the water. You would likely be best suited to put the lavender in a hop bag and toss it in the kettle before you sparge. Let it sit and soak in the hot wort while you sparge. Once you are done collecting and begin to heat, remove the lavender.
Someone else might have a tip on how long to let them steep.

Let it sit in hot water for a period of time like a tea bag. You steep tea leaves to make a drink.

I steep grains when extract brewing at 170 for 20 min.

Thanks guys, but I know what the word "steep" means. :mug:

What I'm trying to understand is what stage of all grain brewing does BYO consider to be steeping? If they recommend I steep the lavender, but not boil it or add it to the secondary, then what are they talking about?

The order of the recipe might provide a clue. Where does the addition of the lavender take place in the recipe. I would have thought that it would be added to the secondary much like dry hopping. If you add it to the primary the action of the yeast will expel the fragrance and aroma. If you add it to the boil you are not steeping it but I wonder if you might add it to the mash (you steep grains in the mash, don't you?)

You would likely be best suited to put the lavender in a hop bag and toss it in the kettle before you sparge. Let it sit and soak in the hot wort while you sparge. Once you are done collecting and begin to heat, remove the lavender.

During/after sparge but before the boil.

Back