What do I fill my bubbler with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The airlock doesn't really matter, but a combination of water and something to kill germs is typical (either starsan or vodka). Something that if the temperature drops and it gets sucked back in won't hurt your yeast (or you).

if you are talking your airlock, I either use sanitizer solution or vodka :D

No rinse sanitizer or cheap vodka if you're OCD.

edit: three posts all at 12:22. must have beat me by seconds :(

That's good because it's the ones that you guys think are easy that trip up us green-horns.

"Been there done that"
"Everything is relative"
"It's easy when you know how"
"It's the journey not the destination"
"KISS: Keep It Somewhat Simple" (My new definition)

And I think that's about all I know. Anything else I'm a noob. :) :mug:

I apparently filled one with gnats this week. Gawd - dammit!

Man that one thing I've had to watch closely when transferring from boil kettle to fermenter and then from fermenter to bottling bucket. Those dang things are tiny are so attracted to sweet liquid.

Are there any techniques that you all have found to keep them away? As of now I usually keep apple cider vinegar all around the house to trap them.

Yep- Fruit flies, also known as vinegar flies. Carry acetobacter that will turn your precious to vinegar. Keep them away! I've found cheap tequila in a shot glass attracts them and they die happy.:)

Back