What do I do with this plastic keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So a friend of mine works in a construction warehouse where they have lots of metals and building materials. Anyway there has been a pallet of plastic kegs that has been sitting around for 2-3 years. They're brand new, and my friend's boss instructed him to destroy them.

So he took a few of them home to use for miscellaneous things (he's going to cut the top off and store recyclables in it), and gave me one in case I could use it for something.

It looks like this:
keg-50liter.png

It has Sanke type hookups. My friend doesn't know if it's safe for beverages, or what pressure it is rated for. Or even where it came from.

What do I do with this thing? I couldn't find any plastic or pressure ratings on it. Do people use kegs for things other than beverages that could make filling this thing with beer a concern?

I don't have any Sanke connectors as I use all ball lock kegs, so I'd have to buy some hardware before usage. Should I sell it? Is it worth anything? Or should I fill it? Thanks HBT

You could store grain. Smell the inside. If there are no odors, it is probably OK to use once it has been washed and sanitized. See if there is a number anywhere to indicate the grade of palstic.

from what i have read the only down side to these for a home brewer is that the spear is not designed to be removed regularly so you need a proper keg washer to clean them. however i like the grain bin idea.

Thanks guys. I like the grain storage idea. How would you get grains out of there though? Also I've read about sankes as fermenters, but am worried about (like nebulous said) cleaning the inside.

Apparently my buddy has more than a few of these:
1390626_10102129437736561_1448207032_n.jpg

I believe they are for portable eye wash station. Try to find the manufacturer and see what plastic they are made of.

So I had to do some cleanup on the keg, lots of dust and very little info printed or stamped on the keg. The good thing is around the rim there is stamped verbiage about the surgeon general not recommending alcohol to pregnant women, and how you shouldn't operate machinery while consuming alcohol.

Also says it can be pressurized to 4.1 bar which looks to be about 59 psi. Still didn't see any plastic ratings though. I did notice though that the Sanke connection doesn't have the locking ring, rather it is the screw type spear with the safety catch.

For a grain bin I would get a 2in sanitary cap, gasket and clamp. Then find a way to remove the spear and then give the inside a good cleaning, you can make a spraying wand out of an SS syphon tube. Then just make sure its nice a dry, fill with grain, cap and label. once the spear is out then its just an empty container.

Back