What do I call it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheat was supposed to be midnight wheat but couldn't get ahold of it.

Assuming your hopping schedule looks like an IPA and you aren't using a super-distinctive yeast (like a Belgian or Brett), I'd say you've got a good imperial rye IPA there. Only reason I'd say "imperial" rather than "double" is that if I hear "double rye IPA," I assume that you've doubled the rye (whatever that would mean), not that it's a double IPA. But that's just semantics.

Just -05. Imperial rye IPA it is. Just sounds like 3 styles in one.

Or is it an American strong ale?

I mean, it could be that, too. The reality is that the difference between and American strong ale, American barleywine, and IIPA (imperial or double, means the same thing) can be very small. Often it just comes down to attenuation and/or final gravity.

For example, Arrogant Bastard is sometimes referred to as an American strong. But it has the hops to put it squarely in the IPA category, and it has the malt character to qualify as a barleywine (if it were perhaps a bit higher abv and FG). So which category does it go in?

The point being, your recipe definitely works as an IPA (at least from the malt bill). You could call it something else if you wanted to, but why? You designed it as an IPA, it would appear, so I'd stick with that description.

As for three styles in one...I disagree. IPA is the style. Imperial is the strength. Rye is a signature ingredient. You're simply applying standard nomenclature. But you could also call it a "IIPA brewed with rye," if that makes it feel less clunky to you.

Back