What did you do for beer this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrackpot

Reaction score
I don't mean how many gallons did you brew. There is already a thread for that.

I don't mean what do you plan on doing or what resolutions you have made. There is already a thread for that as well.

I mean: What did you learn or do this year (2013) to improve your brewing.

For example: I started oxygenating my wort, controlling my fermentation temperature, controlling my water chemistry, using acidulated malt to manipulate my mash pH, joining my local home brew club, and joining the AHA.

There is no doubt in my mind that these steps have improved my beer and increased my enjoyment of the hobby.

So, what did you do to advance the hobby (lifestyle) of home brewing in your world this past year?

I completed a new ferm chamber that holds 5-6 batches at a time, completed my single tier brew stand, added a pump system for moving water from my HLT to my mash tun & for whirl pooling my wort while circulating through my CFC. Also added the capability to recirculate chilled water through my CFC using a submersible pump system
I added a deep commercial SS sink & table for cleanup & added cold and hot water connections w/ charcoal filters for each for direct water supplies to my HLT and for other needs.
Whew! I'm tired !

What did you do or learn this PAST year (2013)....

Happy? :rolleyes:

That's better! :D

I did a couple of "first time" things this year. One is judging the final round at the NHC. I had never done that before. Another was volunteering at the NHC, pouring during the opening toast and things like that. That was a great time.

I met Sam Calgione, but thought he was so hot that I couldn't speak. That was not really a shining moment in advancing my brewing, but it was memorable. (I wanted to introduce myself but couldn't remember my name :drunk:). I think I said, "um, um, um. Yeah. Hi." Impressive.

I completed a new ferm chamber that holds 5-6 batches at a time, completed my single tier brew stand, added a pump system for moving water from my HLT to my mash tun & for whirl pooling my wort while circulating through my CFC. Also added the capability to recirculate chilled water through my CFC using a submersible pump system
I added a deep commercial SS sink & table for cleanup & added cold and hot water connections w/ charcoal filters for each for direct water supplies to my HLT and for other needs.
Whew! I'm tired !

I'm tired from just reading that (as awesome as it is). That's the stuff I'm looking for. Brewers on this forum are at such different levels from advanced to beginner; I think the self improvement steps that people take are interesting as hell and can be a source of inspiration and motivation for brewers of a like level. I'd love to see a list of brewers from every stage of experience and what they have done in a single year to improve their brewing skills.

I learned more about beer...making and drinking.

I learned more about what the grains taste like and how they add their unique color or flavor to each beer. Before, I was adding stuff blindly or just because the recipe called for it. I was disconnected from what I was making. I've come a little further.

I also have honed into what I like. I know I dislike beers that are not thirst quenching for me. I don't like the heavy taste of anything with the word "imperial". Much like some ice creams can have so much butterfat that they become pasty and leave you feeling like you need a drink of water. I can get the same from an overly heavy, solventy, or hoppy beer. To me a good beer has good flavor but will give you a satisfying feeling. That feeling you might get if you walked through a hot desert and then came upon a cold glass of water. So I design my beers around what I like.

That's better! :D

I did a couple of "first time" things this year. One is judging the final round at the NHC. I had never done that before. Another was volunteering at the NHC, pouring during the opening toast and things like that. That was a great time.

I met Sam Calgione, but thought he was so hot that I couldn't speak. That was not really a shining moment in advancing my brewing, but it was memorable. (I wanted to introduce myself but couldn't remember my name :drunk:). I think I said, "um, um, um. Yeah. Hi." Impressive.

Haha! What an awesome experience. This is proof that even the most advanced brewers can still have 'firsts'.

Now I have something for my 2014 list: Started a thread that was worthy of a reply from Yooper, a true HBT celebrity.:mug:

I also:

moved to all grain
entered my first competition
started building my water profile based on Bru'n Water

These are all worthwhile steps. My enjoyment of brewing increased dramatically when I moved to all grain. Not only do I feel that the taste of my beer improved; I enjoy the all grain process so much more that I'll never go back.

Started kegging and got a little keg fridge.

Started learning about water chemistry, and applied what I learned to the last four batches (which turned out GREAT!!)

Further revised and improved the IPA recipe I've been tinkering with for a couple years.

Started brewing lagers. First one's in the fermenter right now.

EDIT: AND made soda. According to my nieces, "Uncle Jon makes the BEST root beer!!"

I learned more about beer...making and drinking.

I also have honed into what I like. .

I can relate to you on this point.

This year I developed an increased sensitivity to strong caramel/crystal flavors in hoppy beers. There are beers that I considered to be amongst my favorites a year or so ago that I can hardly stand now that I have honed in on the caramel flavor.

I learned that simple changes in water quality (in my case, going with 5 gal jugs of bottled water) can mean the difference between palatable beer and beer that I can't finish.

Signed up for the OSU online brewing course. Also took the Basic Chem course as a refresher. Hopefully I'll improve my overall process.

Latest posts

Back