What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some fresh guac for Barbacoa burritos. The burritos had cheese, sour cream, tomato, lettuce, salsa, guac, and barbacoa from costco. It was so good. Also what the heck is this tool? I tried zesting but the zest just stuck.View attachment 630224View attachment 630225

Like people are saying, look for a microplane zester. You can find them even at Walmart, I think. They have tiny blades rather than sharp edges on the holes.

Thanks ericbw for the suggestion. Appreciate that you took the time to leave a tip. I didn't say that right. I have a few of them at home, I was at my dad's and curious about that tool that sucked for zesting. We have some nice long handled ones at home. I think one is pampered chef, it's awesome. Mostly only use it when I am going to crush marinades or guac in thai mortar. Haha, I tried the other 3 had other plans. I have been making two egg omelets but wanted to make one and be done. It was hard to flip a 16 by 11 omelet with a kitchen spatula. Will definitely try again.

Maybe fry other toppings first. Or maybe fill it up with toppings cheeses and eggs for frittata? Speaking of guac made some at my dad's. They were freaking out. I have heard all kinds of recipes. My friend says he uses salsa and cottage cheese. I took lime zest, salt, little juice, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. And mashed it as best I could. Later they found wood pestle. Then added lime juice and avocado and more salt. And mashed. It is so bright and tasty.

Made some chicken
IMG_20190613_162712.jpg

How many people ate that omelet? Please don't say it was just you.
They were quail eggs.

I made some fresh guac for Barbacoa burritos. The burritos had cheese, sour cream, tomato, lettuce, salsa, guac, and barbacoa from costco. It was so good. Also what the heck is this tool? I tried zesting but the zest just stuck.View attachment 630224View attachment 630225

That looks like a fine grater that I'd use for a hard cheese like asiago.

Invest in a microplane zester like the one below. I also have the microplane grater for hard cheeses, ginger/lemongrass, etc.
Microplane 46020 Premium Classic Series Zester Grater, 18/8, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00151WA06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lQ5aDbSPJMVS2

And, you guessed it, skillet! I seared bacon, then poured out most the grease. And fried that left over chicken up. Put on homemade bun with bacon, avocado, and American cheese. Also with a spice rub I just made that is really tasty. Was going to sear and add bbq sauce but went other way. It was so good.

1tbl garlic
1tbl onion
1tbl smoked organic paprika
1 tsp other brand smoked paprika
Half tsp cumin
Half tsp chilli powder
Quarter tsp curry
Quarter tsp ginger
Eighth tsp chipotle powder
Eighth tsp thyme
Quarter tsp pepper
20190614_183707.jpeg
20190614_183702.jpeg
20190614_183659.jpeg

Chicken schnitzel, german potatoes (sweet and sour type), and homemade cheesy spaetzle (kasespaetzle). This is actually my lunch today, leftovers, because as usual I didn't take the time to take pictures last night.

View attachment 631679
I had chicken schnitzel for the first time in New Orleans last week. Yummy!

I decided to experiment with the curry paste I found (Sun Fat Red Curry Paste) so I threw together a stir fry with chicken breast, an Asian egg noodle I like, and zucchini. As soon as I pulled it off the flame, I stirred in a couple big spoons of yogurt. Overall, I’d say this experiment was a success!
IMG_4432.JPG

I smoked a salmon filet, cut into 2" wide strips, in my Oster smoker roaster oven. They came out really excellent. DH is all but ready to pitch the big wood-fired Brinkmann offset smoker since we don't do vast quantities of meat these days. One more test - brisket. The flat will fit in there. We use the point, along with equal quantities of chuck, to grind our own hamburger. Tasty tasty blend!

Some day I want to wake up, put the news on in bed, and have somebody serve me an omelette like that. I'd need some sour cream on mine. Maybe that's only in the movies?
Good luck with that, I have dropped hints to hubby for breakfast in bed so long I’ve given up... if he did it anytime soon I’d probably keel over from shock. :)

View attachment 632469

you guys are killing me with all this meat! i had beans.....lol

Haha I miss beans more than bread. I’ve been doing this low carb diet and the one diet food I love is really not allowed.

What’s worse is I’m between jobs again and my go to food for buckling down and living within lesser means is rice and beans. Double forbidden on low carb!

Those look really nice lots of sugar or syrup in the sauce I hope (vicariously)?

Latest posts

Back