What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mexican pizza...

Using a wheat crust...

Sauced with Garlic, onion, New Mexican Chili Pepper, and tomato sauce with dried oregano.

Topped with diced beef and grilled arracherra, then asadero, monterey, and cheddar.

Done on my Traeger with apple pellets.
20180808_220411.jpeg

I've got a set of those. 20 yrs later the cooking surface looks as shiny and new as the day I got them. SS scrubby keeps them like new. Well, the back (fire side) is pretty ugly though, but I make no attempt to keep that shiney.
Super cool. My first use on it i was blown away. First impression was why didnt i get this pan before. So ss scrubby is ok. What about oxy?

I just wanted a test run so i put a little pat of margarine in with my hb cinnamon bread. So glad to have a skillet our old pots were saute pans. I could flip the bread with a little wrist flick.then deglazed pan with maple syrup. Was so good.

Later grilled an omelette i made for my wife, but she forgot it for lunch so i snarfed it up. And oscar myers all beef with some more bread. Glad to have weber back with griddle. I took the propane off our pop up.

For dinner made a soup with organic evoo, organic carrots, vidalia onion, finger potatoes, celery, better than bouillon, and smoked ham that had mustard and pumpkin spice rub. Was really good but something was missing. I think when i skimmed it i took to much fat out. And also it really needed some chilli.
20180808_160712.jpg
20180808_161355.jpg
20180808_164016.jpg
20180808_133323.jpg
20180808_101929.jpg
20180808_102619.jpg

Linguini Alfredo with parmesan cheese sauce and toasted French bread with provolone cheese.

50f0bd017d174b3c10241e6204afca279bca1a95.jpg
8d3447a593bd526ff5b7a0f76adf8ea57cbbd55b.jpg

Friend sent me the Ulu. Slices hot and cheesy bread easily. Also other doughs and herbs. Nice tool
That bread looks really tasty. As does the pasta. My aunt gave me an ulu from the ulu factory and it is on its way to goodwill. Need to rethink that. I saw a video of it online and thought it would be nice for fresh herbs. This one i wonder how long it will stay sharp.

That bread looks really tasty. As does the pasta. My aunt gave me an ulu from the ulu factory and it is on its way to goodwill. Need to rethink that. I saw a video of it online and thought it would be nice for fresh herbs. This one i wonder how long it will stay sharp.

This one has a heavy blade. First time I used it with too much pressure dividing bread dough. Nicked the counter top. When it needs sharpening I'll try a steel first to reshape the edge. I think it will take a number of years before it needs a new edge.

Super cool. My first use on it i was blown away. First impression was why didnt i get this pan before. So ss scrubby is ok. What about oxy?

I just wanted a test run so i put a little pat of margarine in with my hb cinnamon bread. So glad to have a skillet our old pots were saute pans. I could flip the bread with a little wrist flick.then deglazed pan with maple syrup. Was so good.

Later grilled an omelette i made for my wife, but she forgot it for lunch so i snarfed it up. And oscar myers all beef with some more bread. Glad to have weber back with griddle. I took the propane off our pop up.

For dinner made a soup with organic evoo, organic carrots, vidalia onion, finger potatoes, celery, better than bouillon, and smoked ham that had mustard and pumpkin spice rub. Was really good but something was missing. I think when i skimmed it i took to much fat out. And also it really needed some chilli. View attachment 582845View attachment 582846View attachment 582847View attachment 582848View attachment 582850View attachment 582851
Buy one of these. You won't regret it or have to buy another ss scrubby. Works great on cast iron pans too without soap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my ulu. I like the idea of the bowl because it keeps stuff from flying around like board. Put a little canola oil on the block. It looks pretty. Strange coincidence that I had spent the last three days wondering about getting rid of it.
20180809_132143.jpg

Made short work of some salad toppings. Loved it. Scary as hell. Chopped up avocado, tomatos, carrots with ease. Brats got rolly polly and scary!

I made the kids grilled cheese today and potatoes tonight. It seems that I could make the grilled cheese faster in the skillet but it wouldn't be evenly cooked. In a word I think what it does so well is evenness. But I also wonder if that's just from cooking slower. Put smoker tray under weber grates. So glad to have grill back. Smoked waaay better. Interesting things to come I wonder. Especially in winter. Made some chocolate sugar cookies to.

Drinking mojitos. Blagh. Made syrup from garden mint and sugar. They are so earthy, i think i could be aquiring a taste for them. I am trying.

20180809_171619.jpg
20180809_114158.jpg

Drinking mojitos. Blagh. Made syrup from garden mint and sugar. They are so earthy, i think i could be aquiring a taste for them. I am trying.

Switch to the dirty martinis with patty pan squash. If you come to see me as your PCP I’ll rubber stamp you for ‘healthy alcohol use’. Sure, it’s a made up diagnoses with no ICD 10 code but I’ll be dead before your lawsuit sees a jury.

So Thursday we stuffed our faces at State Fair with all manner of fried stuff, cheese, fried cheese, etc. so dinner on Friday was considerably lighter.

I made my grilled ratatouille with our garden tomatoes, an eggplant that I picked off our plant just before cooking, and I stopped at a farm stand on the way home and picked up some bright screaming yellow squashes and a bright green zucchini. It’s so good and so pretty when everything is that fresh.

Edit: Oh, and I used fresh oregano from the in-laws’ garden.

Last edited:
That is so cool. (See what i did there). Recipe please! I love mine and have used it quite a bit. Now am experimenting with xanthan gum. As a tip when adding a lot of stuff, bananas, brownies, strawberries, etc...adjust recipe down or it will over fill. Iirc my recipe for adding stuff is

2c milk
1/2 c sugar
Pinch of salt
Vanilla or whatever flavor to taste
This amount seems to help the machine work a little better in general imo. Any tips on how you would you go about making a mojito?

That is so cool. (See what i did there). Recipe please! I love mine and have used it quite a bit. Now am experimenting with xanthan gum. As a tip when adding a lot of stuff, bananas, brownies, strawberries, etc...adjust recipe down or it will over fill. Iirc my recipe for adding stuff is

2c milk
1/2 c sugar
Pinch of salt
Vanilla or whatever flavor to taste
This amount seems to help the machine work a little better in general imo. Any tips on how you would you go about making a mojito?

Haven't tried a mojito so no help there.

Margarita - 2 servings - we do sugarfree so I'm gonna list what I used - 24 ounces ice-cold diet Mt. Dew, 2 jiggers good-quality tequila, 1 jigger Triple Sec (gonna try Grand Marnier next time), squirt of lime juice, Splenda sweetener to taste (I use the little bottles of liquid stuff that Walmart now sells, just a good squirt) - mix that all together in a 4 cup measure. Get out your bowl from the freezer, put on machine, add dasher, and start it up - then pour in the liquid and set a timer for 15 minutes. Check at that point and see how slushy it is - mine usually takes 18 to 20 minutes total. I put a piece of bubble wrap and a kitchen towel over the opening at the top to keep the cold in.

Spoon into iced beer mugs, eat with a spoon! (We keep beer mugs in the freezer all the time.)

We also did a Rum & Coke the day before - 24 oz. ice-cold Coke Zero and 2 jiggers gold rum. It wasn't quite sweet enough (the freezing dulls the sweetness) so next time I'd add a squirt of that Splenda.

I think you could just make your Mojito and then pour it in there to slushie the stuff? Don't know, never made one. Let me know if you try it!

Thanks temptd2. Clever recipes. I cant wait to try one.

Well after a first failed attempt, i was able to produce a hard dark chocolate. Hard to find any recipes that aren't paleo with honey, syrup, and the like. Gleaned that powdered sugar was ok. Used butter first time.

This time used half cup bakers cocoa powder (this stuff has a heavenly smell) and half cup coconut oil. And 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Dang it, forgot pinch of salt, maybe some vanilla. Coconut oil was melted so warmed in microwave to 110, 30 secs power level 5, stirred in chocolate, and powdered sugar. Whisked a little, put in freezer, bam, dark chocolate. Its pretty good, excited to where this could lead.

Edit...upon a second taste :). It is really good. More like lindt then Hersheys. Definitely satisfies the itch. As far as i know that is my recipe, so i would like help naming it. How about scrappy poo?

Last edited:
I tried to get it super close to authentic. I like a little sweet red bell in mine. Main thing i do differently is the curry powder. I get vadouvan powder from myspicesage because it has no added salt and includes dried thyme. Its pretty mild so you can use as much as you like without getting too salty or too spicy. I used about 4 tbs in mine and its was barely medium spicy to me.

Aji Dulce and Trinidad Perfume are used as seasoning peppers in the Caribbean and south America. Not very common in Jamaica though. The flavor is a perfect match for Caribbean style curries. Just adjust your heat with bonnet/s. Both my bonnets are pretty hot to use in large amounts.

Had to do this again with some homemade ingredients.
1 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs Fresh Thyme brand sesame paste...tahini...whatever :D
1 Tbs LaoGanMa Spicy Chili Crisp
1 Tbs homemade hot oil (made with peanut oil)
1 Tbs no salt added chicken bone broth
1 Tbs broth from cooking the pork a few days ago
2 Tsp of my best 5yr Chinese black vinegar
1/2 Tsp Korean pepper flakes
Pinch of sugar
smthd5c.jpg

Sichuan pepper from the garden, homemade fermented mustard greens and fermented nappa (both blanched)
wG7GQJf.jpg

Freakin stellar dan dan noodles!!!
Z5wefcJ.jpg

RFVoido.jpg

This is the salted-Carmel, boxed brownie by Ghirardelli. I wasn't on my game, clearly. In spite of its appearance, tasted pretty good.
brownie.jpg

Latest posts

Back