What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When can I move in? I clean like a champ!
Haha, you're too kind. These are in the freezer for you. I have the knobs messed up because I think it cooked more even last time. They are really good and the kids chowed down. The ten dollar for a little bottle of syrup is underwhelming imo.

Last night, no pictures phone died, i cut one lb hamburger in 8ths and pressed flat and big. I seared those and also cooked little potatoes that were shook in a bag with garden rosemary and evoo. Later added scallions. Next to that was garden squash i soaked in soyaki and let marinade. I think I would like to squash just cut and seared with olive oil and salt. Soaking them gave them a great flavor but wasn't quite the grilled squash I was seeking.

Oops pics
20180803_100233.jpg
Screenshot_2018-08-03-10-40-45.png

I think I would like to squash just cut and seared with olive oil and salt.

One of my bosses gave me some pattypan (white scallop) squash and suggested grilling. I used some Kirkland canola spray and Trader Joe 21 Salute seasoning on them and they were AMAZING! I'm pretty sure they also picked up some flavor from the burgers I had on at the same time as the beef fat rendered and spread.

One of my bosses gave me some pattypan (white scallop) squash and suggested grilling. I used some Kirkland canola spray and Trader Joe 21 Salute seasoning on them and they were AMAZING! I'm pretty sure they also picked up some flavor from the burgers I had on at the same time as the beef fat rendered and spread.
That sounds good. I never heard of pattypan until three weeks ago when we started getting tons of it in our "farm box." We paid ahead and now get to pick up a box every week from a local farmer. I have so much of it, I had to blanch it and put it in the freezer.
I did grill the pattypan but only with oil and salt. It's alright.

IMG_1906.jpg

Lookin ain’t cookin but I’ll set myself back a half hour for you guys. Next viewing at noon when I should be able to wrap. 49 pounds of brisket went into the little smoker at four am. Ribs and turkeys will go into Bertha around 11.

Last edited:
Had the smoker going a few days ago. Prepped a couple racks of spare ribs. Only two racks this time since I was going to try the 3-2-1 method for the first time. Turned out to not be worth the extra work.

resized492.jpg

resized499.jpg

Some of the trimming bits were ready for snacking after a couple of hours.

resized501.jpg

Lookin ain’t cookin but I’ll set myself back a half hour for you guys. Next viewing at noon when I should be able to wrap. 49 pounds of brisket went into the little smoker at four am. Ribs and turkeys will go into Bertha around 11.

On my way!

What did you put on it?

Going to make Mexican, not real Mexican, but there are similarities. I may end up documenting today's dinner thoroughly. These are very easy and fun to make. That's my brew pot making a cameo (works as deep fryer part time).
raw tort.jpg
bubble grease.jpg
tray of chips.jpg
bag of chips.jpg

Aahhh ... ribs on the smoker, August sweet corn and pattypans fresh from a morning visit to the farmers market (which is in a park with Milwaukee’s newest Biergarten) and eggplants from our garden.

I love summer.

so a couple weeks ago I tried Steven Raichlen's "Caveman T-bone" recipe. For those who want the recipe, here it is:

I followed Raichlen's recipe/method as closely as possible, here's what I started with & ended up with, including the side :

steak1.jpg
steak2.jpg
steak3.jpg
steak4.jpg
steak5.jpg
steak6.jpg

Now I'm sure this is much better when Raichlen makes it, but I'm not impressed. Way too much char, overdone & just plain not very tasty. I thought this was a waste of perfectly good meat. There's a reason grill grates were invented & meat like this is why. Now, all that being said, I ate it anyway; I'm not about to toss such a pricey failure in the trash when it's still edible...
Lesson learned, I guess. At least the veggies were tasty.
Regards, GF.

Last week I had a few things in the fridge that needed to used up before they went bad, so I fried up some thick cut peppered bacon & set it aside to drain. Then stir-fried some kale, celery, carrots, apples & garlic in the bacon grease, then added back the cooked bacon. I was fairly hungry after smelling all that bacon & was in such a hurry to eat, I forgot to get a pic of the plated food, but you get the idea. My taste buds were happy, but my arteries probably weren't.
Regards, GF.

bacon1.jpg
bacon2.jpg
bacon3.jpg

so a couple weeks ago I tried Steven Raichlen's "Caveman T-bone" recipe. For those who want the recipe, here it is:

I followed Raichlen's recipe/method as closely as possible, here's what I started with & ended up with, including the side :

View attachment 582239 View attachment 582240 View attachment 582241 View attachment 582242 View attachment 582243 View attachment 582244

Now I'm sure this is much better when Raichlen makes it, but I'm not impressed. Way too much char, overdone & just plain not very tasty. I thought this was a waste of perfectly good meat. There's a reason grill grates were invented & meat like this is why. Now, all that being said, I ate it anyway; I'm not about to toss such a pricey failure in the trash when it's still edible...
Regards, GF.

That is an interesting method.

I have my final product from the evening's small gathering. Being only four guests I was able to plate all the food and serve them restaurant style. There was a choice of grilled steak, chicken or tofu. All were marinated the same way.
final product.jpg

View attachment 582239 View attachment 582240 View attachment 582241 View attachment 582242 View attachment 582243 View attachment 582244

Regards, GF.

Well, your sides looked delicious. And I'm with you, I've eaten plenty of over-cooked and/or over-smoked meats because "it's not going to waste." Live and learn.

How long per side did you cook the meat? I'd think 2 min per side at that heat?

and it's getting redundant "liking" all of these food pictures because they're all worth liking (I still will). Like all that smoked meat? Crazy, man, crazy.

Regards, GF.

I watched the video. His were "this-meat-is-ruined" BLACK in spots but still managed to be medium-rare. Don't know how he managed that. Not something you want to have to practice, money-wise, to perfect.
I'm very happy with the grill also. I can get it hot enough to put lines on the steaks (I eat burgers mostly though) and hit medium rare.

Hey @JonM,

Here's my grilled peaches.

I cut the peaches in half at the seam. Cored out the pit with a paring knife since these were not really ripe yet. Then filled the hollow core with soft butter, then dropped a tablespoon of dark brown sugar on top.

Since they are not very ripe they got more time on the grill. I put these on the upper rack with the Polish Sausage and the T-bones. After flame out they stay in the grill until dessert.

They turned out soft all the way through. I covered them with whip cream and served them. My mil likes them with maple syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

They were quite tasty.
20180805_193038.jpeg

Im having fun with the mint water. Using lemon, lime, and mint. Sadly no pics but tonight made a salad with bacon. Bacon! And whatever else we had, avocado, those little cherub tomatoes, carrots, good croutons, bell pepper, salt, ground pepper (finally fixed mill), and peas. The salad was nice to go with the ranch and bacon :)

Ordered my first all clad pan. Good deal i thought amazon 12 inch tri ply fry pan skillet. Really excited to use it.

Im having fun with the mint water. Using lemon, lime, and mint. Sadly no pics but tonight made a salad with bacon. Bacon! And whatever else we had, avocado, those little cherub tomatoes, carrots, good croutons, bell pepper, salt, ground pepper (finally fixed mill), and peas. The salad was nice to go with the ranch and bacon :)

Ordered my first all clad pan. Good deal i thought amazon 12 inch tri ply fry pan skillet. Really excited to use it.
Get on the All-Clad mailing list. William-Sonoma too. The All Clad has a clearance sale about every three months open to only people on their list. There's some good deals there

Hey @JonM,

Here's my grilled peaches.

I cut the peaches in half at the seam. Cored out the pit with a paring knife since these were not really ripe yet. Then filled the hollow core with soft butter, then dropped a tablespoon of dark brown sugar on top.

Since they are not very ripe they got more time on the grill. I put these on the upper rack with the Polish Sausage and the T-bones. After flame out they stay in the grill until dessert.

They turned out soft all the way through. I covered them with whip cream and served them. My mil likes them with maple syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

They were quite tasty.
View attachment 582398

Good with a splash of brandy or bourbon, too ;)

Hey @JonM,

My mil likes them with maple syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

View attachment 582398
"mil" is mother-in-law, I think?
I love cooking as much as making beer (pretty much the same thing, really) so that's why I post so much in this section.
Basically, it didn't matter about ripeness since you added just a wee bit of sugar?

"mil" is mother-in-law, I think?
I love cooking as much as making beer (pretty much the same thing, really) so that's why I post so much in this section.
Basically, it didn't matter about ripeness since you added just a wee bit of sugar?

Right, mil, is mother in law. I love cooking too almost as much as brewing.

Ripeness does make a difference. Not so much with sweetness as it is to texture. Ripe peaches grilled with butter and brown sugar makes it ultimately better.

When they are ripe they are fairly soft and don't need much heat other than to melt the butter and sugar. The butter-syrup mix melts into the peach.

However when they aren't ripe they need to cook longer to soften. If you don't it's a little like an under cooked potato. While you can still eat its not as good if you cooked them longer.

I take a paring knife poke then from the side, if there's any give it's not done, it should be as soft as a canned cling peach.

[emoji481] [emoji481]

Made an omelette for the kids for lunch and boy, started liking that griddle. You know me....cheap and big or nice and big. I want the nicer one but think the other will do. Also love the nonstick on these.

Made fried rice on blackstone outside. Basmati, carrot, scallion, egg, smoked pork loin researed, and hot dog. Splashed with la choy soy sauce.
Screenshot_2018-08-06-13-59-03.png
Screenshot_2018-08-06-13-58-26.png
20180806_122222.jpg
Screenshot_2018-08-06-12-42-30.png
1533597195439.jpeg

Latest posts

Back