What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultimate fish taco: beer battered wild Alaskan cod, broccoli slaw, avacado crema (made with homemade Greek yogurt), cilantro, and Fresno chile & roasted garlic relish.

IMG_20160430_230827.jpg

Well, I learned that, while old-fashioned borosilicate Pyrex dishes can handle a mild thermal shock, one should check to make sure that the different-looking dish is, in fact, old-fashioned borosilicate Pyrex. Turns out knockoffs can't handle thermal shock.

Thanks, man! This was actually just my iPhone with a few in phone edits. But, some of my pics I use a Nikon D35 with a macro lens. :mug:

For food pics, I've found my Galaxy Note4 and minor edts produce just as good of images (if not better :eek:) than my D5100. A lot quicker turn around, too...

But, still can't beat the DSLR for distance/action/nature/etc.

For food pics, I've found my Galaxy Note4 and minor edts produce just as good of images (if not better :eek:) than my D5100. A lot quicker turn around, too...

But, still can't beat the DSLR for distance/action/nature/etc.

I use a Canon 50mm prime lens for shots that count, but the lack of zoom can make many shots tough. It's a 1.4 though, so I can get some awesome depth of field with it when that's appropriate.

I've been wanting to get a macro lens. Probably my next lens.

A friend found a ton of morels while turkey hunting yesterday, and just gave us a big bag. So that's gonna be on the menu for the next couple days.

I just pulled 6 boneless short ribs out of the pressure cooker. Marinated them 2 days, rubbed with ancho chile powder and garlic salt, then into a bag with a homebrewed Porter.

Today, sliced up a big red onion, had some brown mushrooms left that needed eating, garlic cloves - browned the beef in bacon fat, removed to a plate, threw in the veggies and let them suck up the fond, added the beef back on top, poured in another Porter and some seasonings, set on High for 23 minutes (digital electric 8 quart pressure cooker) and they came out perfect. Removed meat to plate and reduced the remaining broth, adding a splash of Worcestershire and Balsamic vinegar, adjusted the seasonings a bit. Now the whole works is in the fridge. Will try to remember a picture later when I reheat for dinner, along with the sprouted brown and wild rice and quinoa that I made earlier too.

I use a Canon 50mm prime lens for shots that count, but the lack of zoom can make many shots tough. It's a 1.4 though, so I can get some awesome depth of field with it when that's appropriate.

I've been wanting to get a macro lens. Probably my next lens.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro is a great lens. If you can find it, so is the Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro.

I just pulled 6 boneless short ribs out of the pressure cooker. Marinated them 2 days, rubbed with ancho chile powder and garlic salt, then into a bag with a homebrewed Porter.

Today, sliced up a big red onion, had some brown mushrooms left that needed eating, garlic cloves - browned the beef in bacon fat, removed to a plate, threw in the veggies and let them suck up the fond, added the beef back on top, poured in another Porter and some seasonings, set on High for 23 minutes (digital electric 8 quart pressure cooker) and they came out perfect. Removed meat to plate and reduced the remaining broth, adding a splash of Worcestershire and Balsamic vinegar, adjusted the seasonings a bit. Now the whole works is in the fridge. Will try to remember a picture later when I reheat for dinner, along with the sprouted brown and wild rice and quinoa that I made earlier too.

Damn. Nothing about that does not sound amazing. Yes, pictures would be in order. And very much appreciated!!

Man, these little back ribs cook way more quickly! I don't think I have ever smoked anything other than spare ribs. I wrap in foil at 160 and these will be there in another 30-40 minutes! Granted my setup is too hot, but it's hard to control on a Webber kettle.

Made a big tray of cabbage rolls, been a while, delicious if I do say myself,View attachment 352793
View attachment 352795

Ooo, nice!! :mug:

I am a huge sucker for cabbage rolls myself, however I typically just stew them for about two hours.

Just curious, what is your baking process like, temperature-wise & time-wise? do you also switch on the steam function in the oven?

For you cabbage roll lovers out there. My wife found a Yugoslavian cookbook at a book sale and there was a recipe for this in there. Its called Sarmas. I had never heard of this before.

I wonder if this recipe is where the tomato version came from?
Anyway it looks like a lot of work but it also looks and sounds amazing.

Ooo, nice!! :mug:

I am a huge sucker for cabbage rolls myself, however I typically just stew them for about two hours.

Just curious, what is your baking process like, temperature-wise & time-wise? do you also switch on the steam function in the oven?

Oh man, I LOVE cabbage rolls! I usually try to make what the family loves, but I may have to break down and make these just for me.

Any tips on how you make them? I find the cabbage leaves a pain to work with.
The larger outer leaves I peeled and then parboiled for 5 mins, when it got hard to separate i stuck the whole head in, pulled a few layers and dunked it again, worked well and with this there was plenty of moisture to steam the rolls.
Stuffing was beef, pork, onions, garlic,brown and wild rice, then worked a bunch of spices in, made it up as a went along;)
Went in a 350F oven for maybe a hour and a half.
For you cabbage roll lovers out there. My wife found a Yugoslavian cookbook at a book sale and there was a recipe for this in there. Its called Sarmas. I had never heard of this before.

I need to make this!

The larger outer leaves I peeled and then parboiled for 5 mins, when it got hard to separate i stuck the whole head in, pulled a few layers and dunked it again, worked well and with this there was plenty of moisture to steam the rolls.
Stuffing was beef, pork, onions, garlic,brown and wild rice, then worked a bunch of spices in, made it up as a went along;)
Went in a 350F oven for maybe a hour and a half.

I need to make this!

Beautiful, Seeng this dish meant so much to me. Last week i tasted a red sauce that was sweet and it reminded me of stuffed cabbage and my mother. I was going to ask someone to make them because i am remodeling this miserable bathroom and i just wanted too see them and alas here they are made by none other than the chef. Thank you this is my ratatouille. And yes that is exactly how she made them. Sometimes stacked up to 50 in big roaster.

I'm definitely going to have a go at that recipe. I will let you know in 6 weeks how it turns out! It really looks great!

I pinned a vegetarian stuffed cabbage recipe from Pinterest a few years ago. It has been the most repinned of all my stuff...surprisingly. I didn't get around to making it for, like, two years; and I was actually pretty disappointed. It just doesn't hold a candle to the versions with meat.

We got some ground pork that I need to cook up. I think it would work well in stuffed cabbage.

Bought some cabbage last night. Just have to find time to spend an hour in the kitchen cooking it!

Easy way to get the cabbage leaves ready fast -

Core the cabbage, place in a casserole type glass dish with a few tablespoons water. Cover, microwave at high for about 14 minutes. Drain, uncover, let cool til you can peel off the leaves.

Leaves are easy to work with.

I pinned a vegetarian stuffed cabbage recipe from Pinterest a few years ago. It has been the most repinned of all my stuff...surprisingly. I didn't get around to making it for, like, two years; and I was actually pretty disappointed. It just doesn't hold a candle to the versions with meat.
I managed to make a pretty good* lentil-based vegetarian stuffed cabbage a while back. The Missus and I have been vegetarians for about a year and a half.

(* pretty good meaning very good if you don't compare it to meaty stuffed cabbage, kinda disappointing if you do.)

It's not the weekend, but last night after work, I baked two loaves of french bread and a half-dozen popovers and a batch of homemade pasta. Then I used the french bread to make homemade bruschetta, and tossed the pasta with brussels sprouts and red peppers in a white wine/lemon/caper sauce. Sometimes you just gotta get your cook on.

Latest posts

Back