What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a stalk of Brussels sprouts (is it called a stalk?) many were nice little tightly grown heads and some others were not so tight and large. I used the large ones for a sauté with cauliflower and onions. Seasoned with ground cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. If you like it a little creamy a big dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream stirred in is nice.

image.jpg

I just got finished making some beef & barley soup. I forgot to take pics of the process (I never can remember, one of the reasons I would make a terrible teacher at anything) but here's the final product:

002-66397.jpg

Recipe:
1-1/4 pound "stew beef" (I use chuck roasts), diced fine
1/2 C chopped onion
1 C diced carrots
6 oz mushrooms, diced
butter or oil
1 C dried barley
1 medium-sized bay leaf
2 Qts beef stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a soup-pot or Dutch oven, saute onions, mushrooms, & carrots in oil until sweated & starting to take on colour. Remove from pan. Add beef, brown, and then add all ingredients to the pot. Simmer until beef is tender and/or barley is soft. (Chuck usually takes an hour or so, plenty of time for the barley to cook.)

I had no mushrooms for this batch, and it is definitely missing the special earthiness that 'shrooms give.

So... Does 2-row or MO count as "dried barley"

Look for Kirby cukes. They're perfect for pickles. I've been working on the perfect Claussen clone for a long time. Not there yet :( But I've got the crunch and the spiciness down, just not the flavor. I've got a big container full of them in my garage fridge atm.

Please tell us your recipe when you figure it out. I want to make pickles and really like how Claussen makes them.

Holy Crapopatamus you all stepped it up this weekend. I now have a longer list of things I need to cook.

Oh and to add to the brussels sprouts debate. Just add bacon, lots of bacon, and a little bacon grease as well.

Took it pretty easy on cooking this weekend... But made a really good/simple pirogi bake.

Started with marinating chicken in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt/pepper and oil for about an hour.

Cut up some onion/peppers/spinach

Fried up some bacon in a sauce pan

Removed bacon, added ~6 oz of cream cheese and 3/4 cup chicken stock to the bacon grease.

Cooked peppers/chicken/spinach in a separate pan.

Added the sauce to the pan, sprayed a ceramic baking dish and put frozen pierogis on the bottom. Dumped the chicken mixture over the pierogis and topped with shredded cheese.

Baked @ 400 for ~20 minutes and topped with chopped bacon.

Had with store bought Texas toast. Another quick simple dish, but very good. Comfort food to the max.

View attachment 316394

That sounds really good, I haven't done pirogis in a long time.:mug:

So... Does 2-row or MO count as "dried barley"

That... is a good question. :ban:

I can only say, "regular' dried barley isn't malted, so I guess if one wanted to use malted barley grains, they could. It just might be a little sweet.

:D

The secret is the sauce... which contains a ton of bacon grease.

Bacon grease is amazing (that part is no secret).

Pork fat rules, baby!

Matter 'o fact, if you want to "church up" some jarred tomato sauce for whatever, just add 1-2 Tbsp of bacon grease and simmer it in. It can turn Ragu into tasting homemade.

:)

That... is a good question. :ban:

I can only say, "regular' dried barley isn't malted, so I guess if one wanted to use malted barley grains, they could. It just might be a little sweet.

:D

There's something different about "pearled" barley. Still as long as it's not caramel or roasted, it should be ok.

In a small Mason/jelly jar. I just pour off the grease left in the pan after frying or baking my bacon (I prefer it baked) into the jar & seal it up tight.

How do you store bacon grease

Might want to use a can. Grease is hot and I'm sure can make glass squeel. You can use a used soup can, with one of those caps they have at the supermarket. Or a spent peanut can, which is much larger if you feel the need to soak your feet in it. That's a fetish you know. When I was a kit there was always a big can of hardened grease next to the sink.

Well no pics (I forgot to take any), but I mixed and stuffed 25lb of bratwurst and smoked 6lb of hot dogs. Have another 20lb of kielbasa and Italian Sausage to stuff this week (ran out of casings). Got a big tailgate party coming up in a few weeks. :ban:

I'll be there! Did you make the meat and stuff the hot dogs? I've always wanted to do that (emulsification), but never have.

Might want to use a can. Grease is hot and I'm sure can make glass squeel. You can use a used soup can, with one of those caps they have at the supermarket. Or a spent peanut can, which is much larger if you feel the need to soak your feet in it. That's a fetish you know. When I was a kit there was always a big can of hardened grease next to the sink.

Good point - I had neglected to mention I let the grease cool off first. I always make the food, then put the hot pan full of grease (whether from bacon or say, frying chicken) in the oven to cool off while eating & then washing up. The greasy pans are always last to be washed, so it's usually warm but not hot, warm enough to still be able to pour into a jar.

*thumbsup.gif*

Good point - I had neglected to mention I let the grease cool off first. I always make the food, then put the hot pan full of grease (whether from bacon or say, frying chicken) in the oven to cool off while eating & then washing up. The greasy pans are always last to be washed, so it's usually warm but not hot, warm enough to still be able to pour into a jar.

*thumbsup.gif*

I'm pretty sure my mom used a coffee can. When I have a can of bacon grease on the counter, my wife looks at it like a dead rat. She likes leafy stuff and fish. I'm making red grouper fillets for her tonight. And a spinach salad. The spinach is really for a greek sausage I'm gonna make (maybe tonight!).

Saving bacon grease in a can under the sink is something I grew up with too. During WWII everybody saved their grease and a lot of it was used as grease for the war effort. Add to that that a lot of those folks where kids during the depression, and between the two experiences most everything was saved.

Saving bacon grease in a can under the sink is something I grew up with too. During WWII everybody saved their grease and a lot of it was used as grease for the war effort. Add to that that a lot of those folks where kids during the depression, and between the two experiences most everything was saved.

Haha. Maybe you're familiar - we ate all the parts. My grandmother and that meatgrinder, all manner of offal went in there, and on toast the next morning. Oof! I still remember my grandpa gnawing the turkey necks on Tday. He didn't love them, he was just dutch. I miss that old fart. In fact, today is both of my parents birthdays. 11/16. They are gone too. They ate all the parts too! Mom was a liver lover. We had it all ways, usually wrapped with bacon. Dad always ate all the trimmed fat from everyone else's meat. Probably not the path to a long life :)

To parts! :mug:

You never know what kind of snack ill whip up....so i will not be remembered as making the best ice cream but i hope to be remembered for the most. ..my children and I make ice cream all the time nothing special cuisinart machine 3 c milk 3/4 c sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla and pinch of salt anyways i threw two huge bananas in last batch and its killer but ran out of syrup darnitall! so whipped some up.....then combined with banana ice cream and cake my children and i made that is in frezer....another bowl then another im barfy

View attachment 1447738081073.jpg

View attachment 1447738103070.jpg

View attachment 1447738114164.jpg

Haha. Maybe you're familiar - we ate all the parts. My grandmother and that meatgrinder, all manner of offal went in there, and on toast the next morning. Oof! I still remember my grandpa gnawing the turkey necks on Tday. He didn't love them, he was just dutch. I miss that old fart. In fact, today is both of my parents birthdays. 11/16. They are gone too. They ate all the parts too! Mom was a liver lover. We had it all ways, usually wrapped with bacon. Dad always ate all the trimmed fat from everyone else's meat. Probably not the path to a long life :)

To parts! :mug:

Parts are awesome. Turkey, duck, and chicken necks are awesome, some of the best meat on the bird if you're willing to work a bit to get it off the bone.

Also, +1 for cribbage from your other post. Cribbage with grandpa was one of my favorite things growing up - there's nothing like laying down a 24-point 67788 on your grandpa as an eight year old right as he thinks he's about to pass the skunk line.

RIP...

How do you store bacon grease

Chiming in with others...grew up with a coffee can of bacon grease on the counter, next to the stove. It was a White Label Luziane. Evidently, there's a red version and a white version. My parents lived in Baton Rouge at one point and became fans of the white label. Not something I find around my area anymore. If anyone sees it and wants to send me some.... Closest thing to it I can find is Cafe DuMonde.

The grease was run through a little strainer and the can still had its cover. Personally, I don't like the idea of using the metal can. I would use a canning jar (it'll take the heat). And I keep it covered and refrigerated. Grease can go rancid.

Mom also used to keep a can of non-bacon fats...lard, veg. oil, sausage, hamburger, etc., under the sink. I imagine that was just thrown away when full. These days, I keep a oil bottle beside the stove (because I haven't bought a can of coffee in awhile). So I have to let my grease cool a little. And we have to call in advance to notify the trash collection folks that we have a container and label it "Household Grease" to have it picked up.

Mom always saved bacon drippin' in these square glass containers with clear glass lids in the fridge. It'll go bad eventually if you don't fridge it. We always used a large mug to put it in these days. Fried chicken in bacon drippin' is great...once in awhile. Mix equal parts bacon drippin' & butter for a savory sauce for veggies is darn good to. The Shakers & Amish do that. Now if I just had some of that fresh-churned pasture butter from WV in the old days...:rockin:

That looks like it's enough for Big John, what did the rest of you have?

I have recently fallen in love with gnocchi. Recipe please. How did I get to be this old and never have gnocchi till last year?

I did serve them along side HUGE pork chops and broccoli. Big John got more than enough food.

I didn't really use a recipe. I roasted the squash then pureed it and added Parmesan, semolina, and AP flour. Oh, and some salt and pepper. That's it.

I'll be there! Did you make the meat and stuff the hot dogs? I've always wanted to do that (emulsification), but never have.

Yup, the brats are pure pork while the dogs are venison/beef/pork. I was scared at first of emulsified sausages but they're not as difficult as people think. This time I double ground them 1/8" and then once cold beat the living snot out of them in the Kitchenaid. It worked just as good as the food processor but was able to do bigger batches at once. The wurst part is stuffing them, getting that sticky blob into the stuffer is a royal PITA. It's like anti-seize paste or hypoid oil, it gets EVERYWHERE.

I pour burger grease into a coffee cup. When that is full I fridge it and dig out the hard portion and throw it away. The liquid goes down the drain.

For Bacon grease I pour the hot grease through a sieve and into a small glass Tupperware bowl. That goes in the fridge to use later for pie, or anything fried. (except eggs. I prefer to cook my eggs in butter.)

What I need to do is to get a compost can set up so I can collect my veggie trimmings and take out to the compost pile. I'm sure my wife would say no to that. I already clutter up the kitchen too much!

yup, the brats are pure pork while the dogs are venison/beef/pork. I was scared at first of emulsified sausages but they're not as difficult as people think. This time i double ground them 1/8" and then once cold beat the living snot out of them in the kitchenaid. It worked just as good as the food processor but was able to do bigger batches at once. the wurst part is stuffing them, getting that sticky blob into the stuffer is a royal pita. It's like anti-seize paste or hypoid oil, it gets everywhere.

lol!

Yup, the brats are pure pork while the dogs are venison/beef/pork. I was scared at first of emulsified sausages but they're not as difficult as people think. This time I double ground them 1/8" and then once cold beat the living snot out of them in the Kitchenaid. It worked just as good as the food processor but was able to do bigger batches at once. The wurst part is stuffing them, getting that sticky blob into the stuffer is a royal PITA. It's like anti-seize paste or hypoid oil, it gets EVERYWHERE.

funny

Did you use sheep casings for the dogs?

Did you use sheep casings for the dogs?

Yeah, the dogs are sheep casings and the brats/Italian are hog. The sheep I've got are finicky because they're so delicate it's easy to blow a hole in them. You have to balance between stuffing really slow and going faster but running the risk of not sliding the casing off fast enough and ending up with a mess.
I don't mind artificial casings on snack sticks and the like, but prefer things on the grill to have the snap and easier chew of natural casings.

Latest posts

Back