What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually remembered!!

LC choc vanilla biscotti 2.jpg

Looks good! Yeah doesn't get much better than that without a brick oven.... I'd love to see side view bottom view. We use a thick piece of baking steel

We made a beef tip roast yesterday in the crock pot with potatoes, onion petals celery & carrots. All the veggies were cut into thick bite-size chunks with the beef on top & bullion added. Using the broth tonight with saute'd carrots, onion & celery for rice pilaf. I gotta remember to get out the camera this time.

Those just look fantastic, and ohhhh do I like biscotti!!

These are excellent, if I do say so myself - they're made with blanched almond flour so they are very filling too. I had one for breakfast at 8 this morning, it's now 3 and I'm JUST starting to feel a bit peckish.

I think anyone would be hard-pressed to determine that these are not "regular" biscotti, made with flour and sugar. They have a really good texture and crumb. We low-carbers like our goodies, too! :)

It was really windy & chilly yesterday, so wife I made a pot of chili. Forgot the camera, & cell phone pics not so good, save for this one;

This one of the ground beef, onion petals & celery cooking is a bit dark, but legible;

Used a couple pounds of ground beef, browned with 2 medium onions cut into petals, 3 stalks celery cut in sections, halved length-wise & sliced thin. 1 can kidney beans, one can black beans, 1 large 6lb, 9oz can ground plum tomatoes in plum tomato puree, with basil. 4 15oz cans tomato puree, 1/2 4" tall bottle chili powder, 2 TBSP chipotle powder, 2tsp black pepper, 1/2 large, flat sided plastic jug of Ortega taco seasoning. Heat through thoroughly about 1 hour, stiring every 5 minutes. I think it needed a bit of salt & red pepper, but wife said it was fine as is. It's naturally sweet tomatoey, smoky lil bit of chipotle heat richness. Definitely thick, with the large restaurant size ground plum tomatoes. Served with sour cream & finely shredded cheddar & crackers. We like using the chili as a dip for the crackers. An APA goes well with this thick bowl o' red!

Ill pm you the recipe later when i get home. Its easy but cooking it is different if you have never cooked using cornstarch and water mixture. The whole is it a solid or a liquid experiment.

So now my brisket is trimed, tucked into the cure, and in the fridge. I also make some Kosher Dill refrigerator pickles this morning. Cukes were a little bigger than I wanted but it's all I could find. In a week or so I will find out if these are any good or not :)

Look for Kirby cukes. They're perfect for pickles. I've been working on the perfect Claussen clone for a long time. Not there yet :( But I've got the crunch and the spiciness down, just not the flavor. I've got a big container full of them in my garage fridge atm.

Ill pm you the recipe later when i get home. Its easy but cooking it is different if you have never cooked using cornstarch and water mixture. The whole is it a solid or a liquid experiment.

Please share with the whole class. Thank you. :)

I have a totally undeserved reputation as someone who hates vegetables. (Ok, I have other reputations that may or may not be deserved but I'm talking about vegetables right now..)

Veggies. I like the ones I like. I don't like the ones I don't like. I like these.
View attachment 315989View attachment 315990

Ugh...still hate Brussels sprouts. I keep telling myself that I just haven't found the right recipe yet. I keep trying them and I keep hating them. I like cabbage, though. Weird.

Anyway...Thanksgiving coming up, so it's time for my 32 year tradition: Traditional Scottish Shortbread.

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_151937537.jpg
    IMG_20151114_151937537.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20151114_162324101.jpg
    IMG_20151114_162324101.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20151114_170645049.jpg
    IMG_20151114_170645049.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 89
Oh gosh, Melana, those look scrumtious - will you share your recipe? What do you serve them with - browned butter and sage or something else delectable?

Matt, I don't like Brussels sprouts either EXCEPT one way. Washed, trimmed, halved, lightly steamed in the microwave til barely tender, drained, tossed with olive oil and spread evenly on a foil-lined and sprayed baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast at 400* til just starting to brown, then toss in a good handful of bacon bits (I use the Costco Kirkland brand stuff but homemade would be yummy too!) and roast til a few of the leaves that have dropped off are getting pretty brown. Trust me, they're really good.

Right now I have two huge sheet pans of chicken bones in the oven at 350* to roast off for chicken stock. I save the bones in the freezer til I have enough. There are also a couple halved onions and a couple handsful of peeled garlic cloves in there. Next I'll put everything into my 22 quart roaster oven, add a couple bottles of homebrewed brown ale and some water, bay leaves, salt, thyme, a couple sage leaves, then set it to keep a nice simmer, and cook all night.

Tomorrow we'll pressure can the stuff up and then I'll have great stock for quite a while!

Ugh...still hate Brussels sprouts. I keep telling myself that I just haven't found the right recipe yet. I keep trying them and I keep hating them. I like cabbage, though. Weird.

Anyway...Thanksgiving coming up, so it's time for my 32 year tradition: Traditional Scottish Shortbread.

Almost choked to death as a kid trying to swallow one whole so I didn't taste it, now I love them!
Cut them in half, in butter and EVOO cut side down with onions and garlic and leave them alone till past golden, a little wine to finish cooking, a splash of balsamic vin to finish, also a little this and that along the way but that's how I cook.
Now I want!:D

I have a totally undeserved reputation as someone who hates vegetables. (Ok, I have other reputations that may or may not be deserved but I'm talking about vegetables right now..)

Veggies. I like the ones I like. I don't like the ones I don't like. I like these.

Roast 'em.

Oh gosh, Melana, those look scrumtious - will you share your recipe? What do you serve them with - browned butter and sage or something else delectable?

Matt, I don't like Brussels sprouts either EXCEPT one way. Washed, trimmed, halved, lightly steamed in the microwave til barely tender, drained, tossed with olive oil and spread evenly on a foil-lined and sprayed baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast at 400* til just starting to brown, then toss in a good handful of bacon bits (I use the Costco Kirkland brand stuff but homemade would be yummy too!) and roast til a few of the leaves that have dropped off are getting pretty brown. Trust me, they're really good.

Right now I have two huge sheet pans of chicken bones in the oven at 350* to roast off for chicken stock. I save the bones in the freezer til I have enough. There are also a couple halved onions and a couple handsful of peeled garlic cloves in there. Next I'll put everything into my 22 quart roaster oven, add a couple bottles of homebrewed brown ale and some water, bay leaves, salt, thyme, a couple sage leaves, then set it to keep a nice simmer, and cook all night.

Tomorrow we'll pressure can the stuff up and then I'll have great stock for quite a while!

No need for the microwave. Just toss em in the oil, salt & pepper and minced garlic, and let 'em go. If you don't have allergies, toss em in parmesan after they exit the oven.

We do it very similarly with cauliflower.

Years ago, it seems like EVERYTHING got cooked to death. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, pork, asparagus. If you cook them lightly, they're way better. no matter how you cook them.

What are you doing with that spinach?

BTW, I make a salad with brussel sprouts. I parboil them to make them soft. In a fry pan, I saute chestnuts, red onion, and bacon. Add to brussel sprouts, sprinkle with lemon. Delish. Reposted from earlier, but what the hell.

_mg_8168-62591.jpg

_mg_8179-62594.jpg

_mg_8181-62595.jpg

BTW, I make a salad with brussel sprouts. I parboil them to make them soft. In a fry pan, I saute chestnuts, red onion, and bacon. Add to brussel sprouts, sprinkle with lemon. Delish. Reposted from earlier, but what the hell.

_mg_8168-62591.jpg

_mg_8179-62594.jpg

_mg_8181-62595.jpg

Need to do this! Except the delish part, must go all the way and make it delicious!

Halve 1.5lbs Brussels sprouts, toss with olive oil and salt & pepper, and roast at ~425 for 20-30 minutes.

Cook 6-8 slices of bacon and drain and crumble (save ~1 tbsp of bacon grease)

Sautée 1/2 a red onion in bacon grease until they get some color, then toss in the Brussels sprouts, bacon, a handful of dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, etc.) and a splash of red wine vinegar.

Halve 1.5lbs Brussels sprouts, toss with olive oil and salt & pepper, and roast at ~425 for 20-30 minutes.

Cook 6-8 slices of bacon and drain and crumble (save ~1 tbsp of bacon grease)

Sautée 1/2 a red onion in bacon grease until they get some color, then toss in the Brussels sprouts, bacon, a handful of dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, etc.) and a splash of red wine vinegar.

Love adding dried fruits to greens, never did it with sprouts, I see it working well though.

_mg_8168-62591.jpg

_mg_8179-62594.jpg

_mg_8181-62595.jpg

mmmmm That looks soooooo good.

Mmm, just finishing up some gumbo with shrimp and andouille sausage. So good. Wish I could share with everyone.

I made a roux first to thicken it, and burnt the hell out of it (I forgot my mise en place rule). Whole house smelled like burnt toast. Wooops.

Latest posts

Back