What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxtail ragu and sourdough, the ragu is one of the most decadently rich things I've made, so worth two days of cooking:D

IMG_5666.jpg

Made my own version of beef stroganoff. Stir-fried the beef in a bit of olive oil with crimini mushrooms & scallions, a dash of sage, a pinch or 2 of thyme & sweet basil, a dash of black pepper & a dash or 3 of soysauce. Add a spoonful of butter & roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup, with a little beef stock to thin it. Let that simmer down a bit. Cooked the fettuccine Al dente & added when the meat/shrooms/sauce was ready. Served up with some steamed baby squash: yellow & green patty pan & zucchini. Paired with a nice brown ale, I thought this was a tasty meal.
Regards, GF.

stroganoff2a.jpg

Rockin M: What was your stuffing? I think I can see ground beef and/or sausage, mashed taters, and is that a bean on the left edge? Stuffed squash is 1 of my favs & I'm always interested in how other people are doing it.
Regards, GF.

It was a pretty easy stuffing. It was sautéed onion, garlic, ground turkey, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Then I put parmesan topping.

Wasn't expecting to be home tonight so I didn't have anything planned. Pulled out a piece of leftover smoked pork tenderloin and shredded it. Heated in a pan with salt, pepper, powdered garlic and cumin. After it heated added some homemade BBQ sauce and let it thicken. Put it in An Amarosa roll with some cheddar and turned out to be a great sandwich!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421797864.024805.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421797884.859887.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421797900.091593.jpg

Well, my trip to the grocery was originally going to be for just eggs, canola oil, and lemon juice for homemade mayo, turned into mayo plus a philly-cheesesteak. First attempt at mayo, 2/3 cup canola oil, egg yolk, 1/4 tsp ground mustard seed, 1/3 cup EVOO, 3 tbsp lemon juice, and a couple turns of salt... I don't think I'll be buying mayo at the store anymore! (besides, i can never use up all the mayo that I buy before it goes bad, and this is cheaper and better!). I spent 15 minutes shredding cheese only to forget to put it in the sandwich, so back in the oven it went (after the pic). Mayo on each side, ribeye steak, pepperoncini, green peppers, onions, and a 2 strips of bacon.

View attachment 1421807233134.jpg

View attachment 1421807244858.jpg

Well, my trip to the grocery was originally going to be for just eggs, canola oil, and lemon juice for homemade mayo, turned into mayo plus a philly-cheesesteak. First attempt at mayo, 2/3 cup canola oil, egg yolk, 1/4 tsp ground mustard seed, 1/3 cup EVOO, 3 tbsp lemon juice, and a couple turns of salt... I don't think I'll be buying mayo at the store anymore! (besides, i can never use up all the mayo that I buy before it goes bad, and this is cheaper and better!). I spent 15 minutes shredding cheese only to forget to put it in the sandwich, so back in the oven it went (after the pic). Mayo on each side, ribeye steak, pepperoncini, green peppers, onions, and a 2 strips of bacon.

that looks great. I havent made mayo in a long time but you are correct it's cheaper and tastes far better than store bought.

TL/DR warning.......................
So I was going to smoke some pork butt and hate to see vacant space in the smoker. I had smoked a meatloaf a month ago and had no bread crumbs or croutons, but did have some rice noodles. Threw some in, and it came out fantastic. I decided to try it again, and even kick it up some.

I ended up getting 3lbs ground beef, 2lbs pork sausage and 1lb of ground turkey. What I didn't get was rice noodles, all they had was "rice sticks" that looked kind of the same. I thought what the heck and grabbed them.

Sauteed 2 onions, about 1lb sliced mushrooms, 4/5 tbs chopped garlic, deglazed with some Pinot Noir and let it reduce a while. Sliced a jar of stuffed green olives, large can of black olives and two bunches sliced scallions. Threw it all in large SS bowl and added small can tomato paste, 8oz feta cheese, 1/2 C grated Asiago, several shakes of red pepper flake, 4/5 tbs creamed horseradish, "some" (been beering) balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and the "rice sticks".

SWMBO came to my aid, holding the bowl and cracking 3 (fresh from her sister) eggs while I dove in to mix. Plopped in all in foil baking dish and topped with dry rub left over from the pork. Looked, felt and smelled awesome.

Got the smoker going and tossed in the pork butt (dry rubbed night before). Put the meatloaf pan on hot side of smoker and proceeded to tend/drink beer.

Couple of hours later, meatloaf was "representing" and I took it out to rest while continuing to tend/drink beer.
A little bit later I hear SWMBO say "WTF honey, this is your masterpiece?"

I went in to see what she was talking about. She had stuck a fork in for a sample and retrieved a crumbly mess - zero amalgamation. And the edge of the sample had strings of worm-like stuff protruding and interspersed in the mass of the meatloaf. Apparently "rice sticks" are the stuff you use for Asian noodle salad................

Choices limited, I chose the only logical response - cracked another one and finished off an awesome pork butt.

No pics, but it was reminiscent of when my dog had tape worms..........

So I was going to smoke some pork butt and hate to see vacant space in the smoker. I had smoked a meatloaf a month ago and had no bread crumbs or croutons, but did have some rice noodles. Threw some in, and it came out fantastic. I decided to try it again, and even kick it up some.

I ended up getting 3lbs ground beef, 2lbs pork sausage and 1lb of ground turkey. What I didn't get was rice noodles, all they had was "rice sticks" that looked kind of the same. I thought what the heck and grabbed them.

Sauteed 2 onions, about 1lb sliced mushrooms, 4/5 tbs chopped garlic, deglazed with some Pinot Noir and let it reduce a while. Sliced a jar of stuffed green olives, large can of black olives and two bunches sliced scallions. Threw it all in large SS bowl and added small can tomato paste, 8oz feta cheese, 1/2 C grated Asiago, several shakes of red pepper flake, 4/5 tbs creamed horseradish, "some" (been beering) balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and the "rice sticks".

SWMBO came to my aid, holding the bowl and cracking 3 (fresh from her sister) eggs while I dove in to mix. Plopped in all in foil baking dish and topped with dry rub left over from the pork. Looked, felt and smelled awesome.

Got the smoker going and tossed in the pork butt (dry rubbed night before). Put the meatloaf pan on hot side of smoker and proceeded to tend/drink beer.

Couple of hours later, meatloaf was "representing" and I took it out to rest while continuing to tend/drink beer.

I went in to see what she was talking about. She had stuck a fork in for a sample and retrieved a crumbly mess - zero amalgamation. And the edge of the sample had strings of worm-like stuff protruding and interspersed in the mass of the meatloaf. Apparently "rice sticks" are the stuff you use for Asian noodle salad................

Choices limited, I chose the only logical response - cracked another one and finished off an awesome pork butt.

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/f19/250820d1422025909-photos-your-youth-dutyduck-copy.jpg

I ate meatloaf and got worms, MOM where's the paper!

dutyduck%20copy.jpg

Did you soak those "rice sticks"? I've never heard of adding noodles to meatloaf before, but then I don't make or eat meatloaf, so I'm sort of out of the "meatloaf loop." BTW, how did it taste?
Regards, GF.

Really? Why!?

The not making or eating meatloaf thing? Meatloaf is one of the few foods I really don't like. I don't know what my Mom did to it, but I didn't like it as a kid & was forced to eat it. I used to drown it in ketchup, trying to cover up the taste. By the time I was about 10 she quit making it (thank God!), and I haven't eaten a bite of meatloaf since. Maybe there are some good meatloaf recipes out there, but I can't justify risking good food in a recipe I will probably not eat. I'd eat it if I was starving, but not till then.
Regards, GF.

Did you soak those "rice sticks"? I've never heard of adding noodles to meatloaf before, but then I don't make or eat meatloaf, so I'm sort of out of the "meatloaf loop." BTW, how did it taste?
Regards, GF.
Nope, didn't soak. Plan was for them to be a binding agent and retain moisture instead of a slimy crumble agent.

I'd never heard of it before either. I tried it the first time as an experiment and it worked out fine with the other style noodles. Still not sure why the difference.

Flavor was great, very savory. I vacuum packed some, hoping to use for easy sliders on Super Sunday. Now thinking about taking a bunch of the fresh eggs from SIL and use it in a quiche (or frittata if I'm lazy) if I can find artichokes or asparagus on sale.

I like meatloaf...just a giant meatball in loaf form. What I didn't like as a kid was my Mom covering the top with tomato paste before baking...uck! Ate it with ketchup, though. And cold meatloaf sandwiches with mustard! SWMBO isn't a big fan...her Mom never made it the same way twice...tried rice as a binder once and said it looked like maggots...LOL. I don't use a recipe, but it's usually just beef, seasonings, bread crumbs, egg, and a little milk.

I had one years ago at an Amway sellers meeting that had mushrooms & ground duck in it, among other things. Different & good, but I can't imagine how much it cost to make?

Unfortunately, not something I cooked but I got my wife to try Goat Curry this weekend and she loved it! As a bonus, since she enjoyed the goat so much, I got her to try some Lamb Chops, and another win!

This is big because these are a couple of critters we are planning on raising here on our new farm!
:ban:

Unfortunately, not something I cooked but I got my wife to try Goat Curry this weekend and she loved it! As a bonus, since she enjoyed the goat so much, I got her to try some Lamb Chops, and another win!

This is big because these are a couple of critters we are planning on raising here on our new farm!
:ban:

Finally getting settled in from the big move?

Picked up a pork loin, froze a couple sections and sous vide the remainder after rubbing it with coriander,cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, 5 hours in the bath, dried, coated with coco, cinnamon and chili peppers, then seared.
Rice and black beans and roasted broccoli.
The chain from the loin went into a soup after seasoning and a short bath, sorry no picture:D

IMG_5726.jpg

Finally getting settled in from the big move?

Yes, we bought a 10 acre farm north of Prescott. Fenced and cross fenced, multiple outbuildings, its own well with good water and 7 alpacas. Looking to add meat goats and hair sheep, not wool. We have some turkeys, geese, ducks and chickens on the way. Also thinking about adding meat rabbits. It has a small orchard with apples, pears, plums, peaches and some grape vines.

Wife picked up some chicken at the store yesterday. Going through the box with packets of flavorings and found too many chicken chili packets. Time to make some White Bean Chicken Chili!

Need to figure out the best possible side dish to go with it.

Wife picked up some chicken at the store yesterday. Going through the box with packets of flavorings and found too many chicken chili packets. Time to make some White Bean Chicken Chili!

Need to figure out the best possible side dish to go with it.

corn bread? Mac and cheese? beer bread? pretzels?

Yes, we bought a 10 acre farm north of Prescott. Fenced and cross fenced, multiple outbuildings, its own well with good water and 7 alpacas. Looking to add meat goats and hair sheep, not wool. We have some turkeys, geese, ducks and chickens on the way. Also thinking about adding meat rabbits. It has a small orchard with apples, pears, plums, peaches and some grape vines.

Perhaps I'm just a bleeding heart, but its important to note (as the husband of a cheese professional) that at the end of the day goats milk cheese is a far finer food than goat meat... :ban:

Latest posts

Back