What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411821108.343190.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411821136.290774.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411821171.711463.jpg

Smoker door shut at 8. See ya in 6-7 hours.

What brand stevia are you using? They differ so much in sweetening power/bitterness.

The Stevia I was using was a local brand, Publix. I just made a lot more of this stuff (!) with SweetLeaf brand. I think that stuff is sweeter. I used 3/4 tsp per chocolate square. That's 25% less than with the other brand.

Moink loaf - 50/50 ground beef and ground pork. Just enough garlic, onion, sriracha, mustard, Worcestershire, and soy sauce. My first bacon weave too.

You can see the apple wood flaring up on the grill.

Lookin' good! I love the name! "Moink" <LOL> I'll be muttering "Moink" & chuckling to myself for at least an hour. :D
Regards, GF.

Paul, that's a nice lookin' porker; hope you get some after shots. I love it when folks go whole hog!
BTW, did you rent that honkin' smoker? I've been thinking about doing that, but not sure if I can find one in my area.
Regards, GF. :mug:

No, that's my smoker. Find someone who wofks repairing old oil furnaces. He'll have old oil tanks that he's dying to get rid off. Cut your opening, build a big fire inside to burnouts the residual oil and keep throwing wood in it for hours. You need to burn the snot out of it to be sure its burned up all the carcinogens.

Weld up a firebox and atatch it low on one side, then cut your opening high on the firebox, low in what was the oil tank but is now the smoking chamber.

We then welded up three long pieces of metal to form an H. That H runs the leanth of the smoke chamber. It is welded directly above the opening to the fire box. What happens is the heat and smoke come in from the firebox and rise. But the H directs the heat and smoke laterally along the entire smoke chamber. That way you don't get it super hot on the one end and cold on the other. To help with that some more I fill the top part of the H with water. That water gets to boiling and the steam keeps the temperaurure uniform andthe inside moist. I leave the water in for 5-6 hours then open the ball valve on the bottom of the H and drain it. That allows the temp to rise to finish the pig off.

Al you need after that is an old trailer and Bob's your uncle.

It's been a while since I cooked for the family, so while the Lions feasted on Jets, I cooked up a batch of Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. I only wish I had some real wild rice, and more of it. That shts expensive! So I cheated and used rice from a rice-a-roni box.

Real wild rice was $4 for a very small box. The ricearoni stuff was $1 for twice as much. I wish I could find some rice growing around here.

It's been a while since I cooked for the family, so while the Lions feasted on Jets, I cooked up a batch of Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. I only wish I had some real wild rice, and more of it. That shts expensive! So I cheated and used rice from a rice-a-roni box.

Real wild rice was $4 for a very small box. The ricearoni stuff was $1 for twice as much. I wish I could find some rice growing around here.

Can you offer up a trade with our admin?

I made the best pot of chili I have ever made last week. I am not sure if taking Subsailor's suggestion to finish with a small amount of dark chocolate was the clincher, but it seems like it cant be a coincidence...

I made the best pot of chili I have ever made last week. I am not sure if taking Subsailor's suggestion to finish with a small amount of dark chocolate was the clincher, but it seems like it cant be a coincidence...

Hmmmm... i usually add a touch of cocoa powder. And then some coffee.
dark chocolate you say? Tasty you say?
Back to the chili drawing board.

Can you offer up a trade with our admin?

No, that stuff is too precious. It takes a lot of work to harvest and some $ to process.

I'd be totally down with harvesting some time though. I think it looks fun.

Last night I made Creamy Shrimp and Spinach Soup. I wasn't expecting much, but I had some shrimp that needed cooking. Turned out excellent! A touch of Tabasco gives a subtle flavor and heat. Kind of unexpected in a cream soup like that, but it went well.

Last night I made Creamy Shrimp and Spinach Soup. I wasn't expecting much, but I had some shrimp that needed cooking. Turned out excellent! A touch of Tabasco gives a subtle flavor and heat. Kind of unexpected in a cream soup like that, but it went well.

Ever tried a coconut milk based cream soup? Works great with shrimp.
Regards, GF.

I'm going to pan fry. Deep fry would be good, but I don't do it often and I hate wasting that much oil, plus, disposing of it is a pain. The sample I did was excellent!

No pic. I suck I know. But I grilled up some cheeseburgers and corn (still on the cob) while the GF tossed together a salad. Topped it off with a few pulls from the keg of Great Lakes Oktoberfest and all is/was well with the world. Sometimes its the simple things that are the best.

Me? I am simple, and partial to comfort foods.

Horse meat filet cubed, cooked in oil, in the big, white cast iron fondue pot. Blue cheese (Stilton) melted with cream, in the little red ceramic fondue pot. Brussel sprouts fried in butter with creme fraiche and black pepper. And some kind of spanish wine that my wife picked out.

Photo%25252020141001211915.jpg

Man, Tuesday night was the MIL's birthday, so we all went to one of Milwaukee's best steakhouses. Wednesday, SWMBO had a girls' night, so I fired up the grill and got some brats from the local butcher and made enough so that there'd be leftovers for the Packer game on Thursday. So, steak, brats, and more brats.

Today I had a salad for lunch and then grilled some nice salmon and beets, and did some quinoa on the stove. Tonight oughta forestall the coronary from Tues. through Thurs.

Yesterday we smoked 12 half-racks of baby back ribs, a package of linguica, 8 spicy Italian sausages, 2 pastrami-rubbed corned beef flats, and 2 boneless pork shoulders. Today we vacuum-sealed most of it and it's in the freezer, except the pastramis, which are vacuum-sealed and being bathed in the sous vide for about 4 hours. Then they'll be chilled, sliced, and sealed up for freezing.

We always put the sausages on the top rack above the other meats (except the hanging ribs) so that their yumminess drips down on everything beneath them and adds some great flavor.

Loaded Brinkmann1.jpg

Yesterday we smoked 12 half-racks of baby back ribs, a package of linguica, 8 spicy Italian sausages, 2 pastrami-rubbed corned beef flats, and 2 boneless pork shoulders. Today we vacuum-sealed most of it and it's in the freezer, except the pastramis, which are vacuum-sealed and being bathed in the sous vide for about 4 hours. Then they'll be chilled, sliced, and sealed up for freezing.

We always put the sausages on the top rack above the other meats (except the hanging ribs) so that their yumminess drips down on everything beneath them and adds some great flavor.

That's just heaven!

Dan6310

That is a thing of absolute beauty.

And I recently had my first ever experience with linguica. It was awesome!

Why can't I like that more than once? I just ate and I'm drooling!

Latest posts

Back