what constitutes an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I recenty brewed a beer with a percentage of a double ipa (around 9%), but the ibu's are only 60. Would this clasify it as simply an ipa, or something else entirely?

If the beer is bound for a competition, I would consider calling it an American Barleywine. If it's not too late, you could dry-hop to make it more DIPA-like. I guess a good question for you is: do you think it tastes like a DIPA?

Its only been in the primary for 5 days, so there's no telling on taste yet. It was a 2 gal. Batch, and I plan on dry hoping with .5oz of Hallertau (sorry if I spelled it wrong).

Did the 60 ibu figure come from an online calculator? Can you post the recipe?

It seems like every ibu calculator I go to gives a different figure, but maybe you guys/gals can help.

Partial mash at 162, 45 min
90 min boil (3 gal down to 2 gal) but kept regular 60 min hop schedule.

3 lbs pale dme
1 lb vienna
.25 lb crystal 40
.25 lb victory

.5 oz chinook 12 aau's (60 min)
.25 oz kent golding 5 aau's(20 min)
.5 hallertau 4.1 aau's(5 min)
.5 hallertau dry hoped - not done yet

IMHO that is too light on the IBUs to be a DIPA. You only used .5 oz of a high AA hop. The rest are low, and late in the boil, so I would not expect eh IBUs to be high. Not that it will be bad, but not true to style. You could do as roastquake said and dry hop more, but that won't add much if any bitterness, just the aromatics from the hops you use.

An IPA is

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075 IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018 SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

An Imperial IPA is

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090 IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020 SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%
So you're just in the bottom of IIPA. You sould up the bitterness.

So would it be more of a Barleywine then? I like the idea of calling it an Imperial Amber Ale, but I'm not sure what category it would fit into if I decided to submit it to a competition.

. . . but as noble hops with a "fine" hops aroma, there won't be anything IPA-like about this beer.
English IPA?

The ABV is high, but a judge (or you) can't always tell that from taste. If the beer hide the alcohol well it could fit this style.

So would it be more of a Barleywine then? I like the idea of calling it an Imperial Amber Ale, but I'm not sure what category it would fit into if I decided to submit it to a competition.

From what I understand about competitions, the judges want the entries to fit into a category. Call it what you want but submit it into a competition as a Barleywine.

Oh and since you used English and German hops for flavor and aroma, it would be more of an English barleywine

It's really not "in" a category, with the German hops (and not that many of them so not much hops "nose", but you can enter it as a specialty beer if it doesn't taste like a barleywine.

English IPA?

I doubt it. English IPAs have distinct hops flavor and aroma that can be a bit floral or earthy, but definitely "Englishy". The chinook may come through, and the noble hops aroma won't be remotely IPA like. It does depend on the flavor, of course. Toasty caramel flavors would be great in an English IPA, but I don't think the hops will work to bring out the "floral, earthy, fruity" hops flavor and aroma expected.

Since my pale malt was Muntons, and the vienna and victory will make it nice and toasty, could this also be considered an ESB? I've never brewed an ESB, so I'm not very familiar with the style.

Since my pale malt was Muntons, and the vienna and victory will make it nice and toasty, could this also be considered an ESB? I've never brewed an ESB, so I'm not very familiar with the style.

Not really. With English malt, US yeast, and US and German hops it's sort of a not-any-style.

Instead of making this fit a style, it's usually easier to have a style in mind before brewing and work the ingredients into a style instead of the other way around.

Nope. Your IBU's are too high, the malt is not quite right, and you definitely didn't use the right kind of yeast for an ESB..

162 for the mash? That is pretty high. Typical range is 145-158 depending on if your going for fermentability vs dextrine. Your FG may not come out where your anticipating so it may not be the 9% because of the dextrine but then again it was a partial mash so your malt extract is the big contributor here.

162 for the mash? That is pretty high. Typical range is 145-158 depending on if your going for fermentability vs dextrine. Your FG may not come out where your anticipating so it may not be the 9% because of the dextrine but then again it was a partial mash so your malt extract is the big contributor here.

Yeah.. Even though the Vienna could be considered a base malt, this sounds more like an extract with steeped grain as compared to a partial mash considering the temp.

It's been a week, and I just checked the gravity. It's right at 1.040, which puts the beer at 5.5% as it sits. It has a very nice bitter taste to it, and the taste of the kent golding and hallertau combination is just awesome! It would defiantly classify as an IPA right now, but I'm looking forward to the flavor the added alcohol will create.

To me, the issue is the hallertauer. I love them in German lagers, but as noble hops with a "fine" hops aroma, there won't be anything IPA-like about this beer.

My Recently drank some of the Götterdämmerung ? By stone, which was an all noble hops IIPA. I drank it, thinking it would grow on me, but I just didn't care for it much. Definitely didn't seem right.

Wondering by the way, if its possible to use the hopshot extract, boiled in a pint or so of water, possibly acidified with phosphoric acid to 5.2 pH to simulate wort, if you could add bitterness to beer that already in the fermenter. Anyone tried this?

Oh just saw the FG 1.040. Is that your expected FG? Seems high. I usually don't enjoy when FG over 30 points
TD

English IPA?
I doubt it. English IPAs have distinct hops flavor and aroma that can be a bit floral or earthy, but definitely "Englishy". The chinook may come through, and the noble hops aroma won't be remotely IPA like. It does depend on the flavor, of course. Toasty caramel flavors would be great in an English IPA, but I don't think the hops will work to bring out the "floral, earthy, fruity" hops flavor and aroma expected.
Brewed what was suppose to be an English IPA this past Sunday. Plan was FWH/EKG, 60min/Apollo, 15min/EKG, whirlpool/EKG. Turned out my inventory was wrong and I didn't have enough EKG. Did a 50/50 mix of EKG and German Tettnang for all the additions that were going to be just EKG.

In some ways, similar to the OP's hop schedule. Am I doomed to a non-English IPA beer?

"Oh just saw the FG 1.040. Is that your expected FG? Seems high. I usually don't enjoy when FG over 30 points
TD"

I plan on it finishing somewhere in the range of 1.010 - 1.015. She's still bubbling right along, so I'll check it again after the holidays.

And to AnOldUr - If your beer tastes anything like mine does right now, I wouldn't be concerned WHAT style it falls into! I enjoyed the taste, and I'll figure out what category to submit it into when the time comes. Admittedly, not the best policy when it comes to brewing, but I'm still learning, so I'll chalk up this delicious brew to experience. Godspeed with your en-devour.

Latest posts

Back