What constitutes a "fresh" pilsner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I am headed to Prague in a few weeks, and I have been reading up more and more about Pilsners, and how they are notably fresh: from http://allaboutbeer.com/beer_style/pilsner/
"The hallmark of a fresh pilsner is the dense, white head. "
So I then got to thinking what constitutes as "fresh" since it is technically lagered, and then what is the minimal lagering time needed so that the hops are still prominent since hops degrade over time. However I do understand that they degrade slower at lagering temperatures. And I thought that longer aging periods lent to better and longer head retention.

I'm really just looking for some clarification, as I do not have much experience brewing pilsners and I am really trying to understand the style, so that I can fully appreciate it when in Prague

Freshly tapped keg, I think. Just poured.

Over time, there's likely to be some contact with oxygen and light, and perhaps some temperature fluctuations in shipping, etc..

Freshly tapped keg, I think. Just poured.

Over time, there's likely to be some contact with oxygen and light, and perhaps some temperature fluctuations in shipping, etc..

Agreed. I'd say it's beer that doesn't have to make the journey over to the states. In Germany, fresh would sometimes refer to kellerbier (zwickel or zoigl) or beer that is unfiltered and maybe a week or two out of the fermenters.

Interesting. Thanks guys.

My plan is to take a Sam Adams Noble Pills when I go over to Prague in a few weeks, and try them side by side. #Science

Interesting. Thanks guys.

My plan is to take a Sam Adams Noble Pills when I go over to Prague in a few weeks, and try them side by side. #Science

My guess is you will be disappointed at how the Sam Adam's tastes compared to fresh Pilsner Urquell or something similar. At least I would hope so!

Back