What category for a sour saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm just getting ready to enter my first sour beer into a contest - the Colorado State Fair.

I have a clone of Jester King's Noble King, which is a 35 IBU sour beer. It's basically pils malt with EKG hops. I know their yeast blend contains 3711 and a bunch of wild bugs.

What category would be most appropriate for this beer? I'm leaning towards belgian specialty - 16E, but was thinking specialty beer (23A) might also be appropriate.

What say ye?

i'd say 16E, it's super close to the style.
Specialty beer is going to have an absolute ****ton of weird beers and your beer may be good, but specialty is more for like a dark mild with raspberries, serano peppers with brett, oak aged and fermented with a blend of belgian and british beers and dry hopped with roses and a shot of brandy in each bottle.... haha

Right on, thanks guys. I was hoping for some sort of American Sour category, hopefully they're working on that one.

If you have enough to spare and want to possibly increase your chances, why not enter the beer in both categories?

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back