What can I make with this...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a bit now, and turn out pretty good beer, mainly IPA's. All are partial extract kits. I have gathered a few componets from LHBS and am looking for a recipe to make an nice IPA, hoppy & smooth, but not too hoppy.

I have...

1 lb Dingeman Belgian Aromatic Malt
2 - 3.3 lb cans of Muntons LME Amber
4 - 1oz Citra
3 - 1oz Williamette
2 - 1oz Chinook
BRY-97 dry yeast
US-05 dry yeast

Thanks, any help and direction is appreciated.

you don't really have enough fermentables for an IPA, maybe a nice APA or "session" IPA?
assuming a 5.5 gal batch, 3 gal boil
3.3 lbs amber LME
3.3 lbs amber LME @ flameout
.5 lb aromatic (steeped @ 155° x 30 mins)
1 oz Chinook @ 30 (30 minute boil= short brew day!)
2 oz citra @ KO
2 oz citra dry hopped
ferment with s-05

Thanks so much, yes a session beer would be great. I can boil a full batch, does that change anything?
Grain first @155,
Boil, @30 min, adding 3.3 LME & Chinook hops
3.3 LME & citra @ KO.
US-05 Yeast

a full volume boil will change your hop utilization a bit. you will need to adjust your bittering charge.
you can fiddle with that kind of stuff with a recipe calculator. I use this one...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/
it's super easy to use & it's free!
also, just throwing it out there, you could brew a smaller batch & make another big IPA. personally I'd brew the one above, it looks malty & delicious. probably borders on Americans amber.

edit...
I just realized that if you're doing a full volume boil you can add all of your extract up front & probably keep your boil gravity about the same.
you'll still want to play around with the calculator

Thanks so much, yes a session beer would be great. I can boil a full batch, does that change anything?
Grain first @155,
Boil, @30 min, adding 3.3 LME & Chinook hops
3.3 LME & citra @ KO.
US-05 Yeast
revised...
bring water to 155, add steeping grains
steep 30 minutes, remove grains
add extract, bring to boil
add bittering charge (Chinook) & boil 30 minutes
turn off the heat, add aroma hops (Citra)
chill, pitch yeast, ferment, dry hop, package & enjoy!

Came out very well, clear as a bell! I liked the short 30 minute boil, but what would 60 minutes bring to the table? Thanks.

Not a super brainiac on that, but the longer the boil the more bitterness you'll extract from the hops. So, if you wanted a little more bitterness, then you'd boil the Chinook for 60 minutes. That is my understanding of the hop additions.

<60 minutes-------------------------------Flame out>
Bitterness-----------------------------------Aromatic

Everything between would be playing with that dynamic.

It's been awhile since I brewed with lme -so someone correct me if I'm wrong- with a 60 minute boil adding all the lme at the beginning of the boil will likely result in a darker brew and possibly a bit of Carmel as it will likely scorch a bit on the bottom of the kettle. You can reduce those attributes by adding half the lme near the end of the boil. Always remove from the burner before stirring in lme.

Sounds like a tasty brew you made there!

Don
Primary #1: Sculpin'ish Clone
Primary #2: Air
Kegged: Joe IPA clone, Falconer's Flight APA
Bottled: Rye IPA, Blonde APA, Oatmeal Stout, Black Butte Porter clone

Oh, its very nice, smooth at the beginning, nice moderate hop aroma, bitterness (not too much), shows at the end, then grapefruit from the Citra finish it off. This one will be a keeper for sure.

Back