What can I expect for my Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I just took 5.5 gallons of apple juice and boiled for 30 minutes and added 2 lbs of honey. I did this to boil off some water to raise the OG. However, I underestimated the OG of apple juice by itself. Took an OG and got a 1.090. Since, I usually see people using champagne yeast I now figure it's to be able to handle these high OGs. Unfortunately, all I had was Nottingham yeast (no starter). Just curious to see what I could expect from this experiment.
Can Nottingham handle this high of OG? Should I try and get my hands on Champagne yeast?

If I need to give more details please let me know.

Any input appreciated.

Thank you

For a time it will ferment until the alcohol content gets to high and knocks it off. You may need to pitch champagne yeast after the Nottingham finishes to dry it out.

I believe the most important thing would be what is your desired S.G? Are you wanting an apple wine of sorts? Do you want a still or carbonated cider? Do you want a dry, semi-dry, or sweet cider?

Could boiling have an effect on the pectin in the juice? Basically a jelly effect. It may haze because of this and be a PITA to clear.

Could boiling have an effect on the pectin in the juice? Basically a jelly effect. It may haze because of this and be a PITA to clear.

Yes, never boil cider. Will be hazy forever. In the future add sugar or concentrated Apple juice to make it stronger.

Nottingham is supposed to have a high alcohol tolerance, but you probably want to pitch two packets.

I'm guessing you will end up with a very dry cider.

I'm aiming for a drier cider. So it sounds like Notty will get the job done. As for haziness, I suppose this isn't a huge deal to me but would using gelatin fining help bring it down?

Boiling the juice guaranteed a cloudy cider. Not the end of the world, just say it's natural, and good for you. You ain't getting rid of it.

This could go to 13%. Notty may not make it; it will be a gamble. If Notty stops short, you could bottle thinking everything is OK and not get any carbonation ... Or could bottle with another yeast, and get bottle bombs.

I think I'd add some champagne yeast, sometime about now.

Back