what boubon to use for oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
I know, this has probably been asked a million times but my searches has yielded nothing to what i am looking for. i apologize.

So after trying several different bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts i have convinced myself that i now want to brew one. i am comfortable enough with my technique that i can pull it off i just dont know what kind of bourbon to use when soaking the damn cubes/chips. so far my favorite has been the dragons milk varietal (I have a bottle of bourbon county but at this time i will not crack it ope unless i get my hands on another). I am personally more of a rye whiskey person more than a bourbon drinker, I just dont know what to choose.

thanks for reading, comprehending and replying to my long/semi drunk question.

Anything that is not the cheapest or top shelf
Unless you plan on bourbon being a major flavor, as opposed to a supporting flavor, you'll hardly tell the difference.
I use makers mark. Small bottles are easy to find. I have gone with the method mentioned in a QandA episode of experimental brewing podcast(around episode 10). Drew advises the same, but also has tinctures he keeps. I have spirals and cubes of different toasts sitting in bourbon, vanilla bean bourbon, red chili vodka, vanilla bean vodka... Thinking of experimenting with a few more like coffee vodka.
For my vanilla bourbon porter I'll toss the oak straight in primary, then dose vanilla bourbon at kegging.
Just don't use jet fuel like old granddad's or something stupid high proof.

Back