What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished Hugh Howey's Shift, now reading The Light Between Oceans. I hate to admit it, but these types of romance novels are pretty good! For example, I really liked Bridges of Madison County. So sue me!

51Qs-KEJnFL.jpg

Finished Hugh Howey's Shift, now reading The Light Between Oceans. I hate to admit it, but these types of romance novels are pretty good! For example, I really liked Bridges of Madison County. So sue me!

51Qs-KEJnFL.jpg

So, I read almost half of this the other night and the next morning I was telling the wife about it. Turns out there's a movie. My wife told me Alicia Vikander (sp?) stars in it. I thought crap, that's crazy, I was thinking she'd be great in the role. And then I see this thread and realize why I thought of her: she's on the Amazon book cover.

Anyway, some nice little twists in this odd story. Author has great mature writing style. So far, highly recommended.

A funny coincidence. The book above is based in McCarthy, Alaska. In the first chapter an english author shows up. He adds to the towns 12 inhabitants.

The author is Pete McCarthy. I've read his McCarthy's Bar, one of the funniest books ever. Highly recommended! If you want a hilarious travelog about driving around Ireland and drinking a LOT of beer, he's your guy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I1W5HNE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

51YGMRRar2L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized I downloaded MacArthur's bar and haven't read it yet!

Also just downloaded a couple of Carrie Fisher's books. Got to get caught up before she gets too senile to remember all the juicy details of her young life!

The Girl on the Train. Just starting it. Interesting.

^^ This was a good book. Recommended. It's an interesting writing style: told in 1st person, from 3 different women's POV. The main character is a bit whacked, and her profound alcoholism is the main thread throughout the book. Mix in murder, deceit, sex, and a satisfying climactic ending and you have a good page-turner.

Just finished Follow You Home by Mark Edwards. I would recommend it. A suspenseful psychological thriller about an English couple on a trip through Europe who end up in a creepy area of Romania at one point. Some things happen there that set the stage for the rest of the story. Enough of a page turner to keep me interested and I decided to try his next one, The Devils Work. Just started that one last night.

Just finished Follow You Home by Mark Edwards. I would recommend it. A suspenseful psychological thriller about an English couple on a trip through Europe who end up in a creepy area of Romania at one point. Some things happen there that set the stage for the rest of the story. Enough of a page turner to keep me interested and I decided to try his next one, The Devils Work. Just started that one last night.

Thanks,- just added it to my Kindle. Price was right (wtf?). Also bought the audible version. I'll listen during my bike rides (I ride every day).

follow.jpg

Geez, I guess! I bought the kindle version and have Prime. Didn't pay much but not free. Hope you like it. Kind of similar in some ways to Girl on the Train, which I also read and liked.

哈利波特与死亡圣器 - After getting stuck on book five for over two years, I pushed through the sixth one in about eight months and I'm about 160 of ~550 pages into the seventh Harry Potter book in Chinese. I'd like to say I'll finish it before the summer - I'm on that pace, but will my reading time survive my transition to fatherhood in the next week or two? That's far from certain...

哈利波特与死亡圣器 - After getting stuck on book five for over two years, I pushed through the sixth one in about eight months and I'm about 160 of ~550 pages into the seventh Harry Potter book in Chinese. I'd like to say I'll finish it before the summer - I'm on that pace, but will my reading time survive my transition to fatherhood in the next week or two? That's far from certain...

Congrats! (on the book, and on the imminent Little Dragon)

"Brewing With Wheat" - Stan Hieronymus

It's a beer book, but it's a book! :D It's whatever gets me reading, these days. I used to read like crazy when I was younger. Nowadays I have a great deal of difficulty getting into a book, it seems.

^^ Finished this. It certainly was a page turner, but the plot was a bit ridiculous. I loved the spooky beginning on the tracks, and in the woods, etc, but man by the end of the thing there were more players and twists. I kinda got the feeling the author was making up a lot of it as he was writing it.

It was a good read for the daily bike rides (I listened to most of it). Thanks for the recommendation.

Avenue of Mysteries. John Irving.

I love this guy. Offbeat topics and humor.

@ passedpawn I agree, it had a promising beginning, but wasn't as good on the follow through, although it did keep my attention. Glad it got you through some bike rides.

Reading When I'm Gone now. Just read the first chapterish. Sappy, not for me. Somebody dies, it's sad, there's love notes, yada yada.

But I looked on Amazon and apparently there's more to it than sad syrup. So, I'll give it a shot. At least another chapter or two, but life's short you know :)

51ehtCorK0L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just got Recluce Tales by L.E. Modesitt Jr. in the mail yesterday. I know what I'll be reading this weekend!

I just started The Winter Over by Matthew Iden, a thriller/mystery that takes place at a research facility at the south pole. Was my once a month freebie from Amazon prime. Kinda early on but seems good so far.

Latest posts

Back