What beers are you suffering through and drinking anyway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermeister32

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
American use-it-up lager. Made from the extras bin. Sparged too hot, phenols. Tastes Belgian to me.

I've long suspected when you get a flight of beers at your local brewery, the one that says "Belgian" usually is their failure tank.

This one tastes just like that. Best to drink with food.....

Ha. Almost same here. Tried my hand at dehydrating kveik, but first time using the new dehydrator led to way too hot of a temp. Burnt/stressed the yeast. Usually it (Hornindal) takes off within a couple hours of pitch. Took over 14 hours, died after 7 gravity points, and had to be rescued by another yeast. Golden ale tastes like a rubbery Belgian. Took it out of the keezer and let it sit at 80F and it’s been continuing to ferment in the keg given I can de-pressurize it daily (Probably infected too).

Life is too short to suffer through bad beer.
C706FE8B-5BE9-41BD-AC23-1265768C4605.jpeg
C706FE8B-5BE9-41BD-AC23-1265768C4605.jpeg

Not drinking through it now, but the last batch I suffered through was Berliner Weisse. I remember it fondly from my semester in Berlin, but I was not enjoying the last few bottles.

I'm too obsessive of a planner these days...so I'm not just cobbling stuff together. But when I used to try weird ****, I'd give it a few pints and if it didn't turn around, it was a dumper.

I have a friend who does this, literally will not dump beer. I guess he figures he put the time and effort into making it, he might as well drink it and not waste it. Well, I'm quite the opposite, I don't mind dumping beer if it's not suiting my fancy. I'm not currently suffering through any bad beer right now but the last one I felt this way with was a beer I intended to be lower alcohol, but ended up about 1% lower than I wanted at around 2.5%. It was a pilsner. And while it wasn't actually super watery or anything, the hops I used just weren't hitting me right. I think I maybe over hopped with Hallertau Blanc and so that sort of over powered the malt since it was so low abv. Better to have a low abv beer to suffer through I guess...can drink more and not get too lit up. Maybe that bad...? haha

I lived in Wisconsin for five years, so if I have a sub-par batch, I use it to make beer-boiled bratwurst. Roughly chop a few onions, add the brats, and cover with beer in a large stock pot. Let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then bring them to a boil on the stove. Simmer for 20 mins, and finish on the grill. Serve on a potato bread roll, garnished with the boiled onions, mustard, and ketchup!

Had to dump a batch of kveik last year I tried since it got such great reviews here, it had a plastic/rubber taste I could not deal with.

I also have a very slow mover that almost got dumped a couple of times, another result of trying new yeasts due to forum discussions(don't worry I learned my lesson now). That is an otherwise fine clear ale made w B-156, problem is it is a clove bomb. I actually had one last night, it is not too bad, but I'll only drink one at a time, and I have plenty of other brews I like better. It only survives since I have plenty of kegs, and one of my friends likes it a lot, but unfortunatly is not a heavy drinker.

It's not really suffering, but I'm drinking a cream ale that I'm just not that excited about. It is a Spotted Cow clone, and it's just meh.

Brewed a kiss yer cousin recipe with added molasses, had too many beers while cleaning and burned up my yeast packet. Had to use some saved 3711. Tastes like sweat, and, not in a good way. Have been mixing it with the other taps to get thru it.

I had a blonde that after suffering through 3-4 bottles I dumped. Oxidation, possibly chlorine, too thin....

I am currently dealing with a bitter that I mashed too hot, undershot OG, thin since I cut back on caramel malt, Flat, And is too hoppy. It is drinkable The blonde wasn’t

Heh heh, I once had a kolsch that was contaminated with acetobacter, and had the sour vinegar flavor, which I attempted to hide with lemon extract. Fail! Drank some of it as punishment before dumping. :D

On my most recent batch, just before adding the Citra dry hops I did a smell test on them and my immediate thought was that they seemed a bit stale and cheesy. I paused and considered leaving them out, but ultimately dumped them in, which was a mistake. I'm fully aware that dry hops need to be very fresh and high quality, so I don't know what the f--- I was thinking. The beer is drinkable but disappointing, and may end up getting dumped.

I've long suspected when you get a flight of beers at your local brewery, the one that says "Belgian" usually is their failure tank.

Ha. I may or may not be guilty of tacking the descriptor "Belgian" on to beers that exhibited unintended phenolic characteristics. I've had this happen 2-3 times, and the common thread in all those kegs is they used harvested S05 yeast, so I suspect the issue was caused by questionable yeast handling on my part. Thing is though, even though the beers missed what I was trying for, they genuinely weren't too bad.

Last September, I made a holiday ale (with all kinds of spices, apple additions, etc.) that I thought would be a great gift for my non pee-water beer drinking friends and family. About a month short of when I was going to give the bottles as gifts, I tried a couple and realized that 1) it did not carbonate as well as I had planned 2) tasted like a weird cider/kombucha combo that was not intended and 3) I would probably lose friends' and family support for my homebrewing if I gave it as a gift.

I still have probably half of that bottled batch sitting in my pantry. Every now and again, I take one and throw it in the fridge to see if almost a year of conditioning would get it to where I had intended it. Nope. Still can't bring myself to pour it down the drain. Unless the batch is infected (which I sadly don't think this one is/was), I have a hard time justifying an all out dump. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...haha.

my last batch of Saison didn't turn out well. Oxidized and life got in the way so the dry hops sat for nearly 2 weeks and I got a lot of the grassy flavors. Finally got it kegged but I wouldn't carb very well and I was getting air in my beer line (cheap s**tty picnic tap) so it further oxidized and was mostly flat. That was a tough one to get through, thankfully I screwed up racking and only got 4 gallons into the keg!

It's not horrible but I have the last few bottles of a cream ale that has developed a phenolic taste after a couple months. Weird.

Back