What beastie is chewing on my plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
Ok HBT, I need a little advice/help. The tips on 3 of my 4 plants all have been cut. What little beastie is doing this! I haven't had this problem before and I'm a little annoyed. I know that these will eventually be fine, but the smaller plants are 1st year and I'm trying to establish them. Here are the pics.

NUGGET
1397824061731.jpg

ZEUS
1397824121941.jpg

CHINOOK
1397824172248.jpg

Deer or Rabbit? looks like they were nipped right off. I haven't had an issue with anything bothering mine, and have wildlife all around.

Would a bunny just clip the tops and not eat it? I didn't have this problem before. I dunno.

Has it been windy? I know this spring weather sometimes cause crazy storms. maybe they just got blown over to hard and broke. if not then Like brewmadness its a rabbit or deer. I know I had deer eating mine last year.

I do not know if it was a deer or rabbit, they usally take the whole plant. Cutworms? Are most of the tips that have been snipped still there? If so spray, I use NEEM oil. It works for 2 weeks on what is sprayed, but obviously not on new growth.

Looking at the soil atop that bed I'd think hoof prints wouldn't be hard to see...

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses!

Were totally fenced in. There's no chance of deer. Bunnies are a possibility, but they avoid this part of the yard.

What is a cutworm?

It is hard to say with out more images/tracks. Deer you would see tracks if your loose soil goes out three more feet.

Bunnies are my leaning. I've had them damage my plants (Not hops though.) in similar ways.
They may try to eat it but get scared and run off and leave it behind.

So 9 inches cut off the top of the 4 foot bine. 1398808434546.jpg

Either the world's tallest bunny with an eating disorder, or its a bug of some sort. I bought neem oil this weekend too. That's annoying.
1398808517838.jpg
1398808535828.jpg

Its a clean cut too. Cutworm? What am I even looking for?

Attachments

• giant_bunny_ears_by_ldoriginals-d58wg3w.jpg
    giant_bunny_ears_by_ldoriginals-d58wg3w.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 178
I would second the bird opinion....every year I put out my pumpkin seedlings and within a day, most are bit off and left there. They look like worms. I have watched them attack the seedlings and just nip them off at the tip. Buggars.

Good luck..maybe some bird netting until they get established.

Cheers

Paul

If they are birds, hang some cds on string in the yard. The reflection that is thrown off of them as they spin in the wind scares them off. I know it sounds strange, but it works great in my vegetable garden.

I find that Willie Nelson or ABBA CDs seem to be the most effective. :D

Otherwise you can buy the shiney red/chrome reflective mylar tape at garden centers and that is what I am using and works great also.

Have fun.

Paul

Army worms are similar to cut worms and often work higher on plants taking off tomato branches as an example. When you see new damage carefully root around in the dirt 1-2 " deep up to 1 foot away. You will usually find the culprit.

Back