What bad things happen to your beer if your partial mash doesn't fully convert?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith32

Reaction score
I was experimenting with my brewing process - specifically, by using a shorter rest time for a partial mash (30 minutes) - without really knowing what I was doing.

The two beers that I did this way (a Scottish Ale and an APA) both have the same off-flavor to them that I have difficulty describing. It is not apparent in the aroma - but both have the same strange aftertaste. None of my other beers have had this same off-flavor that I can recall.

After reading a bit on this forum, I now know that using a static mash time of 30 minutes and not bothering to do an iodine test to check for full conversion is probably a lousy idea. But before I investigate further to try to find out if something else was wrong, I wanted to pick your brains:

What kind of bad things will happen to your beer if your partial mash doesn't fully convert, and do these bad things potentially include off-flavors?

Jason

Latest posts

Back