What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to go with a good old fashioned homer beer :D
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395456353.370307.jpg

Gutsy shot. I like it. :D

I live life on the edge

I didn't see it. I've heard people call BS on the call...but if there was someone within two feet of the shooter, it serves him right.

He deserved the foul for being stupid

Edit: the bug in the app that shows all the quotes from the first person quoted makes it look like Wes is talking college basketball. Score!

OK, the very last brew day question, I swear.

I have a grain bill of 11 lbs. (all 2 Row for a SMaSH Pale)

I am planning to mash in 3.25 gallons (167F before adding grain)

Sparge will be 5.5 gallons at around 170F

I'm using RO water and adding around 0.5 tsp calcium chloride and 0.25 tsp baking soda to my mash water.

0.75 tsp calcium chloride to the sparge water.

Any glaring problems?

EDIT: goal is 6.25-6.5 gallons pre-boil.

Edit: the bug in the app that shows all the quotes from the first person quoted makes it look like Wes is talking college basketball. Score!

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Sent from a happy place where March madness doesn't exist

OK, the very last brew day question, I swear.

I have a grain bill of 11 lbs. (all 2 Row for a SMaSH Pale)

I am planning to mash in 3.25 gallons (167F before adding grain)

Sparge will be 5.5 gallons at around 170F

I'm using RO water and adding around 0.5 tsp calcium chloride and 0.25 tsp baking soda to my mash water.

0.75 tsp calcium chloride to the sparge water.

Any glaring problems?

You didn't say what you are drinking now, or what you plan on drinking during the brew :).

I don't do anything with water chemistry, so I can't help with that. Water temps and volume seem reasonable. Preheat the mash tun with hot water.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457658.450924.jpg

But a team named after the Six Million Dollar Man just advanced to the round of 32. How can you not get excited about that?

Oh, I'm excited. I'm so excited that I feel like ripping out my brain and dribbling it down the driveway.
;)

Sent from a happy place where March madness doesn't exist

You didn't say what you are drinking now, or what you plan on drinking during the brew :).

I don't do anything with water chemistry, so I can't help with that. Water temps and volume seem reasonable. Preheat the mash tun with hot water.View attachment 187503

Right now, Ruthless Rye. During brew, Final Absolution with a CAO Gold cigar.

EDIT: and water chemistry was even simpler with BIAB because I made the volumes work to even out my mash volume and my "sparge" water.

Let's see here is the line up tonight
Pizza boy brewing: afternoon delight hoppy sour (amazing)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457599.576088.jpg
Stone enjoy by 420 on tap (dank)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457653.718600.jpg
Stone imperial russian stout (amazing)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457714.839913.jpg
Tröegs pale ale(local vfw)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457776.444582.jpg
Now enjoying a hi- res(last 4 pack at pizza boy)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395457862.796051.jpg

Sounds great, but is it much different from Bomb?

Drinking DC's coffee oatmeal stout. This is pretty darn tasty. I would buy this.

View attachment 187486

Liking the coffee flavor. How did you treat it?

Glad you liked it. I cold steeped about 4qts of coffee and added it to the keg when I kegged it.

Having an old ipa. It's still tasty. Need to get one fresh

"I want to be smart as a horse and hung like Einstein"

Attachments

• 1395457902881.jpg
    1395457902881.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 68
Traquair house ale... Almost too oaky for me... Also tells me my wee heavy recipe sucks! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395458519.847311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Water.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395459124.948314.jpg

I'm half in the bag and I've got a big day of drinking tomorrow. Going to the Flyers/Blues game and my fantasy baseball draft. :drunk:

Recycled picture.

187445d1395448615-what-you-drinking-now-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1395448612.171571.jpg

Laughing at my bad parenting moment of the evening. My 5 year old wanted to play Chess. I love Chess but didn't have the energy to play it with a 5 year old tonight. So, I suggested we play some mindless Wii game.

Not drinking anything special tonight. Just this.
View attachment 187470

Nice glass! :)

My Abrasive clone, dubbed Abrasion. This is really doing well. An extra couple weeks and thus a little more carb on it, it's doing great. I won't call it a clone until I can try some of the real deal side by side, but either way I am very happy with this beer.

Obviously a good squad, but the flyers are playing well right now. Should be a good game.

As a life long Blues fan, I can say this. They are the Chicago cubs of hockey. Always give hope to the fans only to fall apart when it matters.

I won't be able to see the philly game, but the Sunday game against the pens is on NHL network, so I will watch that one.

Still drinking Humalupa. I'm sad when the wife is away. I'm playing Donkey Kong that I downloaded to my Wii for $5.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

My realistic bracket didnt have them advancing. It sucks but thats a tough opponent. Ive got good beer to console me through these tough times :)

If it makes you feel better I have Rock Chalk losing next round on my bracket.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

So I need a recipe for a hoppy sour any suggestions are open, the wife enjoyed the one tonight, hops in the nose and nothing but tart sourness after the nose, it was amazing and it looked like this any help on creating this would be awesomImageUploadedByHome Brew1395463247.422985.jpg
Pm's welcomed

So I need a recipe for a hoppy sour any suggestions are open, the wife enjoyed the one tonight, hops in the nose and nothing but tart sourness after the nose, it was amazing and it looked like this any help on creating this would be awesomView attachment 187546
Pm's welcomed

I've never brewed a hoppy sour, but I currently have a sour I brewed in July of '13 that's now in secondary until at least this summer. My point is, they take a long time, assuming you don't use a shortcut like adding acid instead of letting it develop as a natural byproduct of the souring process. So based on that I would just find a good sour recipe and then dry hop for a week or two before packaging. I'm sure some of the more experienced sour brewers will be able to offer some more insight.

It's rare that I brew a beer that I get this excited about, but this one of them. It's my chipotle pepper imperial stout. Fvcking fantastic! Just a touch of heat and a prominent smoked pepper flavor all behind a solid imperial stout base. I'll be including this in trades until it's gone.

Back