What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3310.jpeg
A single IPA from Other Half with meatball subs for dinner. Great combo.

What a day, woke up to the skylights in my hallway leaking water all over the damn place, brewed 15 gallon of "new west coast ipa" got on the roof where said skylights are located and groomed off all the slush and snow and water, followed by the leaf blower to dry it more, tomorrow I gotta come up with a cold weather patch for that bs. All the while my wife is out of town so I had to get cleaned up and prep dinner before she got home. But brewday was a success and the fermenter is already starting to bubble.
View attachment 838500View attachment 838501View attachment 838502
That stinks, hope you got it all patched up.

Welp, buddy, whom also is a Santa Cruz area transplant, strong armed me for one last beer before the hiatus. Why not have one of @pshankstar goodies! Update, I've lost 10lbs and currently converting the brew pub to a small woodworking shop for the massive remodel before the move. Remodeling = beers will be posted from time to time! 🤣

IMG_20240107_085927.jpg

After spending an hour on the roof with a bucket of roof patch trying to seal up the skylights before tomorrow's rain it's time for a hb pub ale. The roof will get proper repairs in the spring when its warm enough to apply new cover strip. Fingers crossed the crap hold up til then.
20240108_182511.jpg

Well here’s another 9.5% ABV Hazy IPA. This one is Mango Bomb Imperial IPA by Full Circle Brewing Co., Fresno, CA.

I’m not really sure why we need this flood of 9 to 10 ABV IPAs. There must be some sort of competition among brewers to the top, to see who can sell us the highest ABV beers. It is almost an entry into the mixed drink / cocktail range. What’s next? 13-15% ABV IPAs? C’mon….

Personally, I seem to enjoy tasty but lower ABV IPAs, 6%-7% max. This Mango Bomb is not the easiest for me to drink, and I drink a LOT of different beers. I liked the Voodoo Rangers from yesterday better, even the 9.5% ones were fine. This flavor is rougher for me to drink and is a prime candidate for diluting with Coors Light.

IMG_6527.jpeg
IMG_6533.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I'll call it a kolsh, since yeast is K-97. Brewed 4 consecutive batches with this yeast, and learned a bit about it. Not bad stuff, but has a character, is not neutral. Also one of those yeasts where the beer improves with some cold crashed conditioning.

This is batch #188, brewed on 10/4/23;

15# pils (Bestmalz)
5# MO (Crisp # 19).

1.2 oz northern brewer, First Wort
1.2 oz Motueka, 30 min boil

The fruity flavor of hops is accentuated by yeast flavor, not bad and kind of refreshing.

Dark blue car hood does not show color of beer well, lesson learned..it is really a normally beer colored beer.

IMG_0369.JPG

Hb pub ale, seems my phone decided to focus on the etching on the back side of the glass. Skylights are 95% not leaking, that quick patch did pretty good, we have been getting heavy rain all day and only one minor leak after applying it in the dark less then 10 hours before rainfall with temps in the 30s. I'll take it.
20240109_173710.jpg

Here we go again – this time with a 9.75% ABV Head-Banging brew from our friends at Drakes Brewing Company, San Leandro, California. The DENOGGINIZER is a big and tasty West Coast style Double IPA. With a name like DENOGGINIZER, I’d expect this thing to take your head right off. Two of them just might, this is a STRONG IPA!

I was in nearby Berkeley recently and took a couple beer journeys to Fieldwork Brewing and to Trumer. Definite beer visits when in NorCal. If I’d had this DENOGGINIZER in my stash, I would have visited Drakes as well! Next time!

Great beer and easy drinking for such a heavyweight. My hats off, err, let me re-phrase that - Kudos to the pros at Drakes for figuring out how to make this high ABV so drinkable. Low head, low lacing, this is a great beer, give it a try some time, you will approve!

IMG_6540.jpeg

Latest posts

Back