What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be the saddest picture ever posted on HBT...

773602-PXL-20231101-215222378.jpg
Guess you never had their beer...šŸ˜

The story is, the sons inherited this building. TP was late on rent and the sons found out this property is worth $15 million but their dad paid $5mils for it. So they booted everyone out to sell. To be honest, I'd probably do the same. Thanks dad! Yeah, someone came in and stole all the port caps. These are supposedly on auction.

When I was in SoCo Homebrew the previous head brewer happened to come in. He's now the head brewer for Ghost Note out west. Others have found jobs also.

HB French Toast Imperial Stout and HB Chocolate Porter.

( oh, breweries 'Friends and Allies' and 'White Stone's are rumored to be next on the chopping block.) I liked F/A beers...kinda sucks but that's the economy now a days.

PXL_20231102_001956967.jpg
PXL_20231102_002735175.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fig-stout-thoughts-as-to-the-fig-addition.728158/
I pasteurized them and added to carboy after 5 days of fermentation.
...and yes , delicious . :yes:
Apex Flavors sells a fig extract flavor. They make hundreds of flavorings specifically for the alcoholic beverage industry. I have been using their extracts for a couple years now and havenā€™t got a bad one yet. Havenā€™t used the fig though.

https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverag...ges-seltzer-hard-spirits-beer-cider-wine~5839

Last edited:
Apex Flavors sells a fig extract flavor. They make flavorings specifically for the alcoholic beverage industry. I have been using their extracts for a couple years now and havenā€™t got a bad one yet. Havenā€™t used the fig though.

https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverag...ges-seltzer-hard-spirits-beer-cider-wine~5839
I've used a bunch of different Apex flavorings and have mostly positive things to say about them. I use their pecan flavoring in my Porter, and it scored a 46 in a BJCP-judged competition a couple years ago. I also use their toasted coconut in the Left Hand Milk Stout clone (found in the recipe section on this site). In fact that's what I currently have in my fermenter. Last time I made it it fared very well in a blind tasting against FW's Coconut Merlin and Maui's Hiwa Porter. Their apricot flavoring works fairly well in my American Wheat, though it doesn't pop as much as real apricot. I've tried their grapefruit flavoring in an IPA and it didn't work for me. Tasted very artificial, almost to the point of being medicinal. I've used the cranberry and lemon drop flavorings in NA seltzer waters, I like them, and the grandkids seem to love them. I have a couple I haven't tried yet - cacao nib and a chocolate cherry custard - that will find their way into stouts some day.

You've been busy! How many brews is that this fall? Get that pipeline full.
Second batch in a week. One keg kicked a few days ago and Iā€™ve got one on tap thatā€™s almost full. Two in primary now. Weā€™ll be at the city house all next week and Iā€™ll try to get a brew day in while weā€™re there.

Stone Delicious IPA, advertised as a reduced Gluten IPA. Pardon the ā€œkerbangledā€ can, thatā€™s the way they come on the ā€œsinglesā€ shelf! I know all you Celiac patients out there must be looking towards Stone to load up on your chugging brews these days, so here is your IPA.

Not advertised as a 7.7% heavyweight IPA, it is that nonetheless. Itā€™s good, Celiac condition or not. Drink this with your rice spaghetti.

ā€œCitrussyā€, lemon-drop and bright, this is a Sunshine and Summertime brew to me. I wasnā€™t expecting the haziness, I donā€™t see anywhere it is a viewed as a hazy. Little bit hazy, starting to clear in my glass so who knows.

Great beer!

IMG_5729.jpeg

Stone Delicious IPA, advertised as a reduced Gluten IPA. Pardon the ā€œkerbangledā€ can, thatā€™s the way they come on the ā€œsinglesā€ shelf! I know all you Celiac patients out there must be looking towards Stone to load up on your chugging brews these days, so here is your IPA.

Not advertised as a 7.7% heavyweight IPA, it is that nonetheless. Itā€™s good, Celiac condition or not. Drink this with your rice spaghetti.

ā€œCitrussyā€, lemon-drop and bright, this is a Sunshine and Summertime brew to me. I wasnā€™t expecting the haziness, I donā€™t see anywhere it is a viewed as a hazy. Little bit hazy, starting to clear in my glass so who knows.

Great beer!

View attachment 833025

As the resident celiac, I will say to other celiacs, "Please don't drink this!!!".

The "gluten reduced" market is a numbers game based on arbitrary PPG numbers and inaccurate testing. The bottom line is that no gluten is safe for celiacs. Some celiacs can drink this and feel fine, but still have major damage to their small bowel that leads to crohn's and eventually cancer. If you just have a gluten sensitivity, enjoy. Celiacs beware...

*steps off soap box*

I've used a bunch of different Apex flavorings and have mostly positive things to say about them. I use their pecan flavoring in my Porter, and it scored a 46 in a BJCP-judged competition a couple years ago. I also use their toasted coconut in the Left Hand Milk Stout clone (found in the recipe section on this site). In fact that's what I currently have in my fermenter. Last time I made it it fared very well in a blind tasting against FW's Coconut Merlin and Maui's Hiwa Porter. Their apricot flavoring works fairly well in my American Wheat, though it doesn't pop as much as real apricot. I've tried their grapefruit flavoring in an IPA and it didn't work for me. Tasted very artificial, almost to the point of being medicinal. I've used the cranberry and lemon drop flavorings in NA seltzer waters, I like them, and the grandkids seem to love them. I have a couple I haven't tried yet - cacao nib and a chocolate cherry custard - that will find their way into stouts some day.
Iā€™m a fan. They have so many to pick from. My best ones so far were a maple wine I did using 1 gallon of real maple syrup in a 3 gallon batch with their maple flavor and an apricot mead with their apricot flavor. I just bottled a Christmas beer with their oatmeal cookie flavor that seems like its going to be very good. It really does smell and taste just like an oatmeal cookie. I have their cocoa nib extract on hand that Iā€™m going to use soon in a RIS. The trick is to dial in the right percentage. Its not much. They almost all say .1 to .3 percent. I test each one in different 12 oz beers and it ends up being something like .6 ml per bottle. I have little 1 ml syringes for dosing pet medication, etc

Last edited:
First beer of the weekend!
5 day kegged NEIPA.

6.8%, 1.017 FG, hopped with Cryo BRU-1, Cryo Motueka and Cryo Vic Secret.

Fermented with Lallemand Koln, my "secret weapon" in juicy IPAs.

Absolute banger. I'll actually share the recipe at some point.

PXL-20231103-173508167-PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back