What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Genesee Cream Ale vs Genesee Beer. I’m assuming by “beer” they mean lager. So, Ale vs Lager, Genesee style.

I’ll tell ya, Genesee has done one great job matching up these two beers. They both are VERY similar, my guess is they use the same hops, same malt, and there are only very slight differences you might pick up between the two. Neither have any head of lacing to speak up and have similar carbonation levels.

Starting with the Cream Ale, the first obvious difference is an ever so slight darker, higher SRM color level. Flavor is strikingly similar, however the ale has a slight fruitiness on the front end similar to some of the Kolsch ales I’ve been drinking lately. Very similar. 5.1% ABV, they are beefing up the alcohol a touch over the 4.5% lager.

On the Genesee Beer/Lager, I’d say this is everything the ale is just rolled back a touch. Both are refreshing and clean domestic beers, I’m guessing both are adjunct Lager/Ales. Great drinkers though, good flavor, either would be a great beer to watch the game, the movies or just to bury yourself alone, deep into your man cave tonight. Bug off!

I’d pick the Ale if given the choice, but really, this is pretty much the same beer, you can’t go wrong with either. Message received on the masculine 24 ounce cans. Enjoy!

IMG_5476.jpeg

Last edited:
A HB Grodziskie on a sunny mid-Oct day. Gotta watch it like a hawk to keep the yellowjackets from sneaking a sip.

View attachment 831626
Truthfully, I use these Pet Food Can Covers on my beer glass. These things fit all sorts of cans and glasses, but are the only ones that we found to fit cat food and dog food cans.

They are food grade silicone, flexible, and durable.

Last edited:
A Northern brown that I kegged on Friday. A slight bit of carbonic bite on it. In a UK ale even a slight bit is waaaay too much carbonic bite. It'll be fine by mid-week, just needs to relax a bit. Hell, it's only seven days old.

Also, this ale marks the first time since the Pandemic in which I haven't had at least one lager in the fridge (often four). There's still a lot of work to do on the Panther Piss Project, but for now it's officially dormant.

Not going to lie, it's nice having my old UK brewery back.
497C57D3-1F28-471F-89FD-6D1F712D3290.jpeg

Last edited:
Genesee Cream Ale vs Genesee Beer. I’m assuming by “beer” they mean lager. So, Ale vs Lager, Genesee style.

I’ll tell ya, Genesee has done one great job matching up these two beers. They both are VERY similar, my guess is they use the same hops, same malt, and there are only very slight differences you might pick up between the two. Neither have any head of lacing to speak up and have similar carbonation levels.

Starting with the Cream Ale, the first obvious difference is an ever so slight darker, higher SRM color level. Flavor is strikingly similar, however the ale has a slight fruitiness on the front end similar to some of the Kolsch ales I’ve been drinking lately. Very similar. 5.1% ABV, they are beefing up the alcohol a touch over the 4.5% lager.

On the Genesee Beer/Lager, I’d say this is everything the ale is just rolled back a touch. Both are refreshing and clean domestic beers, I’m guessing both are adjunct Lager/Ales. Great drinkers though, good flavor, either would be a great beer to watch the game, the movies or just to bury yourself alone, deep into your man cave tonight. Bug off!

I’d pick the Ale if given the choice, but really, this is pretty much the same beer, you can’t go wrong with either. Message received on the masculine 24 ounce cans. Enjoy!

View attachment 831629
I thought I'd take a moment to remark that I always enjoy your write ups and read them carefully. I found this one especially helpful because those are two styles that I'm really trying to learn.

I really appreciate your efforts to write up concise but useful reviews! :bigmug:

A HB Grodziskie on a sunny mid-Oct day. Gotta watch it like a hawk to keep the yellowjackets from sneaking a sip.

View attachment 831626
Haha! I have pics of a day when they were around and loving IPAs few years back. If I find them I'll post. Never had that experience again. But to be honest it was nice having drinking buddies!

One of the great things about boozing it alone in your office is the ability to focus on two things – Keeping the ball rolling and keeping the beer a-flowing!

Tonight’s Enegren Oktoberfest lager wears the Bavarian flag colors proudly – Hey, but located in Moorpark, California, USA…. I love it!

Taste is traditional heavy Märzenbier, along the lines of an Ayinger Oktoberfest. Malty, low hopping levels, 23 IBU, I hope you all take that as a compliment! Not to be confused with the easier drinking Festbiers being chugged at Oktoberfests worldwide currently. This lager is a throwback to when you drank Oktoberfest during Oktoberfest!

Enegren Oktoberfest has 5.5% ABV, half finger head, zero lacing. Buy two of these 16 ouncers to fill your Maßkrug! Prost!

IMG_5481.jpeg

I thought I'd take a moment to remark that I always enjoy your write ups and read them carefully. I found this one especially helpful because those are two styles that I'm really trying to learn.

I really appreciate your efforts to write up concise but useful reviews! :bigmug:

I was just scrolling down the thread and thinking along the same lines. :mug:

I'm enjoying these reviews by @Beermeister32 of beers I've all but forgotten. With the dizzying selection of craft beers in the store, it's nice to hear about the old standards like Yuengling, Lone Star, Genesee, etc. Some of those bring back fond memories.

Anyone remember Black Label? We called them "Black Labs" back then and would pick up a case--a "kennel of Black Labs"--for the weekend.

These reviews remind me that I should pick up a sixer of some of the "old school" beers once in a while, just for a change of scenery.

Haha! I have pics of a day when they were around and loving IPAs few years back. If I find them I'll post. Never had that experience again. But to be honest it was nice having drinking buddies!
Sure they're nature's a**holes, but drinking buddies is drinking buddies, right?

Sure they're nature's a**holes, but drinking buddies is drinking buddies, right?

I'll just leave this here for reference.

yellow-stripey-things.jpg

I don't mind paper wasps. They leave me alone, kill pesky bugs and don't seem to want any of my beer. Yellowjackets--nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be certain.

Brewery X – I see that they are spending huge amounts of advertising at all the monitors at Ontario Airport here in SoCal – Maybe it is time to give these fellas some attention. Brewery X Festbier Ja! (that means “Fest/Festival Beer Yes” to the workin’ man here in Murica). Brewery X is out of Anaheim, CA.

I’ve had dozens of Festbiers, Paulaner being the benchmark, having produced the current model for Festbier consumption in Munich. This one falls a bit short – not for the usual reasons, I just think something is off. Not sure what they are doing. OK beer, just off if viewed as a Festbier.

The cans says 4 different Pilsner malts used – what does that mean ??? I’d suggest ONE Pilsner malt, maybe a bit of Munich and some Hallertau and Tradition hops – not sure what’s going on here. Good beer, just a bit off IMHO. 5.8% ABV. Drink it and then move on to a Paulaner…..!

IMG_5482.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone remember Black Label? We called them "Black Labs" back then and would pick up a case--a "kennel of Black Labs"--for the weekend.

As I remember, it's the only commercial beer I ever opened that I couldn't finish!😉

Carling's Black Label, right? My grandfather used to drink that swill because he could get it by the case at Walgreens and it was cheap as chips.

My father, an appreciator of good German lagers but an equally enthusiastic guzzler of Bud, Oly, Rainier, and Hamm's, dreaded that stuff and was much happier when Milwaukie's Best was on sale at Walgreens.

The first time I heard my dad drop an F-bomb was when he went out to the garage to get another case of beer and found a stack of Carlings sitting next to the Karmen Ghia. Man, he hated that stuff.

To his mind, The Beast was merely bad beer--still beer, so nothing to complain about. Black Label, in his description, was something that he choked down for reasons of familial politeness. It's the beer that he used to call "panther piss," giving name to my Pandemic project. In fairness, he used to call Milwaukie's Best that, but he said it with a certain verve when describing Black Label. He claims it was undrinkable swill.

I've never seen the stuff in the wild, but I'd move mountains to get a can of 1988-spec Carling's Black Label. Keep your beer quests for Pliny the Elder, Rochefort, or Alchemist to yourselves, what I want is a can of Carling's Black Label.

I gotta know!

Last edited:
Carling's Black Label, right? My grandfather used to drink that swill because he could get it by the case at Walgreens and it was cheap as chips.

My father, an appreciator of good German lagers but an equally enthusiastic guzzler of Bud, Oly, Rainier, and Hamm's, dreaded that stuff and was much happier when Milwaukie's Best was on sale at Walgreens.

The first time I heard my dad drop an F-bomb was when he went out to the garage to get another case of beer and found a stack of Carlings sitting next to the Karmen Ghia. Man, he hated that stuff.

To his mind, The Beast was merely bad beer--still beer, so nothing to complain about. Black Label, in his description, was something that he choked down for reasons of familial politeness. It's the beer that he used to call "panther piss," giving name to my Pandemic project. In fairness, he used to call Milwaukie's Best that, but he said it with a certain verve when describing Black Label. He claims it was undrinkable swill.

I've never seen the stuff in the wild, but I'd move mountains to get a can of 1988-spec Carling's Black Label. Keep your beer quests for Pliny the Elder, Rochefort, or Alchemist to yourselves, what I want is a can of Carling's Black Label.

I gotta know!

Oly and Rainier. Those are names I haven't heard in a long time. They weren't half bad, IIRC. We had Heileman beers in our area--Old Style, and Special Export. Also, Old Milwaukee and Hamm's. Coors wasn't distributed in my state then, so if someone came back from a road trip to a neighboring state that had it, we'd have some and thought it was hot shiat. Another cheapo fave was Stroh's--"fire brewed." Those were some of my mainstay beers for broke-ass me back in the day, but I'd splurge on imports once in a while if I was feeling rich. Guinness, Bass, St. Pauli Girl, Beck's. And the original Lowenbrau, when it was imported from Germany.

If I brought beer to a BYO party, it was always the cheap stuff. If I brought good beer, it disappeared from the fridge before I could grab my second bottle.

Being from the Midwest, I had never heard of Black Label until I was stationed on the east coast. Army pay only dropped once a month, so the weekend before payday found most of us near broke. Heading off-post was too expensive, so it was a run to the PX, pick up a case of the cheapest swill, and back to the barracks. Black labs. It's amazing what you can choke down if you don't have enough green for anything better. ;) Not sure how it would stack up to what they make today. I'm guessing it got worse over time, not better.

Oly and Rainier.
When I was in college, I drove a beer truck for the regional distributor of Heileman products. They made some quality stuff. We also distributed Coors and Blitz Wienhard's. All of those breweries had amazingly vast catalogues compared to what is available these days. I get a bit pissed when I see younger writers emphasizing the sameness of US beer back in the day. That simply wasn't the case...but enough books have been written, so it's a fact now, I guess.

Before the Third Great (Global) Consolidation of Breweries, there used to be a lot of really great, I think they used to call them "mid-major breweries." The brewery in Rainier, WA used to turn out some good stuff Oly and Hamms, for example--and some truly awful stuff, ie Heidelberg. Blitz Weinhard used to make amazing beers, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, Henry's Red, Henry's Dark, etc. And some garbage, Blitz Weinhard and Henry's Ale.
Black labs. It's amazing what you can choke down if you don't have enough green for anything better. ;) Not sure how it would stack up to what they make today. I'm guessing it got worse over time, not better.

Regarding cheap beer, I went to grad school and I received my stipend twice a year....yeah, I know a thing or two about stretching a paycheck! I also had to work one other job in addition to teaching to make ends meet, two during the summer in addition to teaching. I get you, there's no shame in cheap beer! Ultimately, that's why I learned to brew.

According to my Dad, it got a *lot* worse over time. Granted, he's an incredibly biased source, but he swears up and down that it was just another fizzy yellow swill in the mid-80's, but by the late 80's it was straight up bum beer. I don't know this, but based on his descriptions, I would guess somewhat fortified to make up for a paltry grist?

Truthfully, I use these Pet Food Can Covers on my beer glass. These things fit all sorts of cans and glasses, but are the only ones that we found to fit cat food and dog food cans.

They are food grade silicone, flexible, and durable.
Drink like a German! Nice wooden deckle (sp)

Attachments

• 14C0E94D-2F9B-41FF-B3EE-BAA8C5E11A04.jpeg
    14C0E94D-2F9B-41FF-B3EE-BAA8C5E11A04.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8DE559BD-637A-4138-A518-0352F6EEF8A0.jpeg
    8DE559BD-637A-4138-A518-0352F6EEF8A0.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back