What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's official now. Coos Bay, Oregon is our retirement spot. Anyone familiar? Should be 3.5yrs away after GD graduates from HS. Doesn't hurt to take an early look.

Somehow this 10% $2drink seemed appropriate. 😉

View attachment 829055
Coos Bay? Just checked, it’s a nearly 12 hour drive from here. Anymore 6 hours or so is my max in a car. I figure in 3.5 years my max will be about 2 hours. Sorry, you’ll just have to do it without me. :D

HME stout tester. A little on the bitter side. Needs more time to carb up.
IMG_20230911_173359.jpg

Coos Bay? Just checked, it’s a nearly 12 hour drive from here. Anymore 6 hours or so is my max in a car. I figure in 3.5 years my max will be about 2 hours. Sorry, you’ll just have to do it without me. :D
Maybe we can meet in the middle at Russian River?? Along with @TwistedGray @InspectorJon

Edit: Fort Bragg is closer to the middle, ie North Coast Brewing, but I'll cut you some slack! 🤣

Appropriate glassware

PXL_20230911_200052199.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
HB chocolate porter.
I trashed my shoulder on a fire call vehicle rollover last night, so self medicating with some liquid pain medication tonight.
View attachment 829084
That’s why I retired last year, after 45 years in the fire service. At 72 it just takes too damn long for things like that to heal.
If they’re short handed, though, they still let me drive one of the tenders. 😎

OK, first things first. As we enter the Autumn/Fall/Oktoberfest drinking season, we all know there will be PLENTY of Märzens, Oktoberfests and Festbiers to slake our thirst. So why the heck am I drinking a Maßkrug of Sierra Nevada, CHICO AMERICA ale then? It’s like climbing that mountain…. Because it’s there!

In all seriousness, this is one of my continuously favorite ales. I’ve tried to clone this thing using every brewing gymnastic move you can muster, but I can’t. I give up. It is just TOO GOOD!

Malty, hoppy, perfectly balanced California Ale with Cascade hops, fantastic head and lacing, bottle conditioning, 5.6 ABV. What more can you want in a beer? !!! This is one of the brews that started the fire within me.

I can remember bowling back in the early 90’s and getting a pitcher of this with pizza. “You guys finish the pizza, this pitcher’s mine!” Unbelievable! I’m hooked! You will be too.

IMG_5236.jpeg

Enjoying a delicious blood sausage with some eggs and a pint of my first HB beer, a dark mild. Came out a bit drier than expected, and sadly it's not clear, but I'm actually not disappointed with my creation.

P.S. Try to ignore the mess, will get around to cleaning it one of these days.
View attachment 829123
Yummy. Blood Sausage!!!!!!!!!!

Back from the Alaska trip, 7863 miles later. Had a great time, aside from that covid thing. Still have a nagging cough, though.

Tried the first bottle of the Grodziskie I brewed last month. At 5.1%, it's more like an Imperial Grodziskie. A little hazy, but not much I can do about that--all that wheat. Tastes good, so don't care.
1000015946.jpg

I’m going Old School tonight. Old School 1300’s beer and Old School snacks. Heck, they had to have fried pigskin in the 1300’s, right? A lot more likely than a plate of chili cheese fries. Of course if they had the fries in 1350, I think they’d outsell the pig skins heartily!

Aecht Shlenkerla Rauchbier, a historic smoked beer, what a classic. My first smoked beer was a lot like my first beer, period. At the tender age of 4 or 5, I talked Dad into giving me a sip. TERRIBLE! That’s how I felt the first time I had a smoked beer – Gawd Awful! But you know, like many things, the more you do it, the more you enjoy it (my favorite line, they never seem to take me up on it though!)

What a TERRIFIC and historic beer. Back in the day, Barley malt was kilned over a fire of Beechwood logs, and picked up a smoky character. So as ancestor humans in our ancient past, when you were thinking beer, you weren’t thinking the pale lagers. That came later. This was it – a hearty and smoky brown ale, matured for months in beer cellars.

The interesting thing about all this is that the palate sort of adjusts to the smokiness, and it becomes less of an issue. I actually look forward to glugging an ancient beer like this periodically. 5.1% ABV, slight head and slight lace, medium carbonation. I need to go to Bamburg – wow, Weyermann and Aecht Schlenkerla / Brauerei Heller in the same town!

IMG_5240.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m going Old School tonight. Old School 1300’s beer and Old School snacks. Heck, they had to have fried pigskin in the 1300’s, right? A lot more likely than a plate of chili cheese fries. Of course if they had the fries in 1350, I think they’d outsell the pig skins heartily!

Aecht Shlenkerla Rauchbier, a historic smoked beer, what a classic. My first smoked beer was a lot like my first beer, period. At the tender age of 4 or 5, I talked Dad into giving me a sip. TERRIBLE! That’s how I felt the first time I had a smoked beer – Gawd Awful! But you know, like many things, the more you do it, the more you enjoy it (my favorite line, they never seem to take me up on it though!)

What a TERRIFIC and historic beer. Back in the day, Barley malt was kilned over a fire of Beechwood logs, and picked up a smoky character. So as ancestor humans in our ancient past, when you were thinking beer, you weren’t thinking the pale lagers. That came later. This was it – a hearty and smoky blown ale, matured for months in beer cellars.

The interesting thing about all this is that the palate sort of adjusts to the smokiness, and it becomes less of an issue. I actually look forward to glugging an ancient beer like this periodically. 5.1% ABV, slight head and slight lace, medium carbonation. I need to go to Bamburg – wow, Weyermann and Aecht Schlenkerla / Brauerei Heller in the same town!

Rauchbier and chicharrones sound strangely good to me. Might have to try it some time.

What a TERRIFIC and historic beer. Back in the day, Barley malt was kilned over a fire of Beechwood logs, and picked up a smoky character. So as ancestor humans in our ancient past, when you were thinking beer, you weren’t thinking the pale lagers. That came later. This was it – a hearty and smoky blown ale, matured for months in beer cellars.

View attachment 829139
Had that beer last week. Amazing

What a TERRIFIC and historic beer...

View attachment 829139
I think you’ll love their Doppelbock!

Back