What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a relatively short (10.5 hrs) day at the track we wrapped up the event. About 100k spectators, the majority on motorcycles. Quite a sight and lots of good racing, big swap meet and other motorcycle stuff.

OT HB wheat
IMG_20231008_170030.jpg

Last edited:
Well I’m on the road in Texas this week, a great opportunity to discover brews we don’t see much of in Southern California.

Here’s the pride of Guatamala, plucked from the local gas station. I can see why so many are trying to get into the US - for better beer! Famosa lager is thin, does not appear to have much malt looking at the color, contains Sulfites, unreal, ABV unlisted and it tastes like Sulfur. Must be the Sulfites, eh? Who the heck knows.

This one’s a loser, sorry fellas! Back to school!

IMG_5416.jpeg

Well I’m on the road in Texas this week, a great opportunity to discover brews we don’t see much of in Southern California.

Here’s the pride of Guatamala, plucked from the local gas station. I can see why so many are trying to get into the US - for better beer! Famosa lager is thin, does not appear to have much malt looking at the color, contains Sulfites, unreal, ABV unlisted and it tastes like Sulfur. Must be the Sulfites, eh? Who the heck knows.

View attachment 831228

Try Shiner Bohemian Black Lager while you're there.

I used to see it in stores up here, but not in a while.

Good to hear they were able to relocate and keep going.
Awfully tight where they're at, basically a corner of the brewery. Last Stand was brewing today so that wonderfully beautiful smell was pervasive.

SoCo is giving 6pks of this away. Never to been seen again, the now defunct Thirsty Planet Oktoberfest. Much better then the previous Last Stand Festbier.

7%er while brewing an English Porter.

PXL_20231009_212422293.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 831228
What part of Texas are you heading through?

Another LOSER, this one in the form of Estrella Jalisco Cerveza Dorada, brewed in Mexico. Claimed to be a Golden Pilsner, 4.5% ABV. Thin, weird taste, who knows what this is made of.

Has a fussy foil top like this is something here, which “it ain’t”!!! “We don’t need no stinking foil tops”!!!

Save your money, guaranteed to disappoint. Go hire a brewer for crying out loud. DUMPER!!!!

IMG_5424.jpeg
IMG_5431.jpeg

So far not much luck on this Texas brew trip, so let’s go domestic and try this again. Lone Star, since 1884 brewed originally in San Antonio and named “The National Beer of Texas” !!! That says it all!

Lone Star is a pretty standard gold lager, not unlike a lot of similar beers in the US. 4.65% ABV, Lone Star has been owned by several companies over the years and is currently brewed for Pabst at Miller’s big Fort Worth facility.

Great for your Texas BBQ, don’t confuse that with St. Louis or North Carolina BBQ. They have their own beers. Enjoy!

IMG_5435.jpeg

So far not much luck on this Texas brew trip, so let’s go domestic and try this again. Lone Star, since 1884 brewed originally in San Antonio and named “The National Beer of Texas” !!! That says it all!

Lone Star is a pretty standard gold lager, not unlike a lot of similar beers in the US. 4.65% ABV, Lone Star has been owned by several companies over the years and is currently brewed for Pabst at Miller’s big Fort Worth facility.

Great for your Texas BBQ, don’t confuse that with St. Louis or North Carolina BBQ. They have their own beers. Enjoy!

View attachment 831285

Try Altstadt or Austin Beer Garden Brewery for your style of beer. That is literally the worst beer made in Texas.

Try Altstadt or Austin Beer Garden Brewery for your style of beer. That is literally the worst beer made in Texas.
Very similar to a lot of US adjunct lagers. Sometimes I think there is a master recipe used for a lot of these regional and national lagers. Like they are brewing a big batch and just label it differently for different markets.

Some beers over the weekend with a buddy I only get to see a couple times of year, split some with him, 2 of which were from @Dgallo of which 1 was his hb stout, holy wow, complex and smooth for a 14% personally I love the touch of coconut, its just enough to let you know its there but not in your face. Glad I split these though, otherwise I woulda been on the floor. At his house so ignore the improper glassware.
20231007_195139.jpg
20231007_202125.jpg

20231007_191205.jpg

Some good Other Half funk from @pshankstar
PXL_20231010_003800221.jpg
PXL_20231010_003815585.jpg

A little vaca pic dump from the edge of the woods and no internet. Fly fishing and golf

Local Tumbledown Brewery
PXL_20231004_204655422.jpg

Cart girl was overloaded with Bissell
PXL_20231005_172053877.jpg

Almost drove off the road and into the lake as a restaurant that had been closed for years had a new sign that said brewpub. Good beer and food. The pub is just off to the right
PXL_20231005_220354110.jpg
PXL_20231005_220834406.MP.jpg
PXL_20231005_221454793.jpg

Locals doing the Mosquito Dance
PXL_20231005_220830939.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back