What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Singing in a men's chorus. We have a concert tonight with an orchestra and another on Sunday on our own.

I might be bottling some sour beer tomorrow, but definitely no time to brew this weekend.

While we were out, I had to give my HD CC some exersize. Needed a new tree, ornaments & trimmings. Darn basement & aging. Got paint, tape & drop cloths for tomorrow's job in the man cave/brewery.

I've been trying to clean out my old junk that's still in my moms house. Mainly a pain in the ass, but ocasionally I stumble over something funny (you know, old photos or stuff that brings back memories from the childhood).

Now, I found something interesting. When I was in my early 20's, I experimented a bit with flavouring (infusing) vodka. I recall doing some vanilla infused vodka.
Apparently, I thought cherry could be interesting as well (though I think it was mostly that we had a cherry tree and they happened to be ripe at the moment).
So, I found this glass jar, with whole cherries and filled with vodka. I think I must have added sugar as well, cause it was pretty sticky. It has been left undisturbed and forgotten for more than 10 years.

I opened it and strained it, and this is what I got:

Sampled it (I thought not much harmful would have grown in it), and funnily enough, it tastes pretty damn good. I recon it is something like an aperitif. Sweet and bitter and still has a lot of flavour. And a definite alcohol warmth. Kinda nice :)

I've been trying to clean out my old junk that's still in my moms house. Mainly a pain in the ass, but ocasionally I stumble over something funny (you know, old photos or stuff that brings back memories from the childhood).

Now, I found something interesting. When I was in my early 20's, I experimented a bit with flavouring (infusing) vodka. I recall doing some vanilla infused vodka.
Apparently, I thought cherry could be interesting as well (though I think it was mostly that we had a cherry tree and they happened to be ripe at the moment).
So, I found this glass jar, with whole cherries and filled with vodka. I think I must have added sugar as well, cause it was pretty sticky. It has been left undisturbed and forgotten for more than 10 years.

I opened it and strained it, and this is what I got:

Sampled it (I thought not much harmful would have grown in it), and funnily enough, it tastes pretty damn good. I recon it is something like an aperitif. Sweet and bitter and still has a lot of flavour. And a definite alcohol warmth. Kinda nice :)

Looks like it's picked up some oxidized sherry / tawny color.

I was thinking the same thing. That reminds me of some sour cherry wine I made ages ago. It came out the same way with aging. Like cherry/tawny port?...gotta make a list for the remaining mumme' ingredients too.

That comes later, while we see which of my beers tastes best with what. I already know the Cooper's ESB will go with pit bbq'd turkey tomorrow- hopefully. Darn El Nino winters...

@Shred and @unionrdr
I'm not so good at picking out flavours/aromas, but the first thing I thought was that it tasted like there there was a bunch of raisins in there. It does remind me of something I've had before, if it was sherry or port wine I can't recall as I very rarely swing that way :)
Now that I got it in a bottle, it will probably sit in the fridge the next 10 years before I finally dump it. It is not bad, I'd just rather have a beer :)

As you brew more beers, you start to learn the flavors & aromas. It comes with time, the one thing you can't cheat on in this hobby. Well...maybe, just a little...;)

Yeah, well the thing is that actual beer is not what I find best about this hoppy.. sorry I mean hobby. I like tinkering way more. And I've never had any interest in styles and the whole smelling, looking, sampling and note taking thing. I just drink and enjoy (unless it has diacetyl, then I won't enjoy, 'cause that I can pick out) :)

I think we're all tinkers to whatever extent? I wasn't into analyzing beers myself...until I wandered around & landed here!...:tank:

This weekend I'll probably just relax with the family and maybe make a starter for a brew day next week. I want to get 2 brews in before I go back to work on the 4th

Multiple family Christmases Tomorrow (Friday), Saturday have to drive my kids back to Tennessee and drive back home to Missouri :(, and Sunday showing some property, working on artwork, and printing t shirts.

I've got 40 litres of apple wine that just finished from 1.150 down to 1.010 - yeast couldn't take it any longer.

Temperature is -20 celcius outside for the next few days. Time for some "cold crashing" :mug:

Playing in a Disc Golf Tournament........ In 30* weather.......and its snowing.........

12507108_1075275725827293_8525103964310793544_n.jpg

Taking down Christmas lights outside. I've been busy the last couple weeks remodeling my lower level family room, office and laundry room. Been awhile since I've brewed but it's coming soon.
Got in on a group yeast order this month and all 3 of the limited edition British strains from Wyeast are coming! Gonna do some bitters,Milds and Browns!!!

Bottling 6 gallons Morebeer Blonde Ale ~6.3 ABV, nice very light color. Hope it turns out good, will see ion a couple weeks.

Now I need to order a couple more kits, don't know which ones yet.:) I sure like their Columbus IPA

Prepping the racevan for a race 14 hours away. Next weekend...figuring out how to balance an 8500# trailer to be towed behind an ancient GM 3/4 ton...in February...from Chicago to Alabama. What fun I have wrought.

Instead of brewing, I drank beer and watched somebody else brew. I contributed a late addition of hops, but that was it. It was fun and a lot of tasty beer was shared. Some good laughs and conversation along the way.

As Ice Cube once said, I'd have to say it was a good day.

Instead of brewing... did some gaming. Re-racked a couple meads that needed it and sanitized equipment. Packed competition meads for shipping. Otherwise I need to finish cleaning out my office and check on my beef jerky that's in the dehydrator. Been a kinda lazy day but with Friday and Saturday I deserve one!

I am about to re-tap my 5 year Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. I think its time for another sample :)

Ohh and watching football and hangen out with all my buddies here on HBT..

Cheers
Jay

Hung out at a couple taprooms, went to the shooting range (not in immediate succession), bought ingredients for another batch of Apfelwein.

Gonna watch (and guide) my brew-bro work through his first extract w/mini-mash brew tonight. Probably drink some beer while he does it, too.

:)

Was trying to prep the trailer for the big trip South. Got a little done but it was too flocking cold so I sat on the couch, covered in dogs and drank the leftover "Dirty, Filthy Blonde" after packaging all but one beer for the trip to the track.

Back