What a day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
So after planning a boil all month, working around dr. Appts. Driving kids and the wife around, i attempted a boil tonight. I was opening all my ****, when my wife informed me how much it stank and she would really rather have me do it in the garage. Well, i dont have the ability to boil water in my garage, so after asking my friends on facebook and neighbors, i finally got a hotplate. I put a few gallons of water in the pot, and turned on the hotplate. 2 hour long story, and i only got the water to 140, and it was maxxed out. Wouldn get an hotter. Going to have to buy a way to do it tomorrow. Have to boil in the garage. The wife says so. Damn you home depot (or your equilivant) for taking my money already!

And how do i put a photo of me up? Seems to be impossible from my ipad?

Yup, that's what I use is a turkey fryer. Just fire that thing up and it will boil water in no time.

You basically have to upload your pics to an online site like photobucket from your pic folder. Then from there to your reply by way of the lil blue globe simbol with the chain links across it at the top of the reply window. I'm lucky with my wife & brewday aromas. She always liked my beers,& I taught her to brew her favorite. So she thinks it smells like some kind of soup. Like a barley soup of some kind. And if you cook with herbs & citrus,there you go!

I use a Turkey Fryer in the garage with the door cracked open and a CO2 detector close by. Never had any problems and I can get a boil rather quickly. Good Luck!

I picked up an outdoor burner (Bayou Classic SP10) at Lowes for $49 and made my last batch in the garage. Did the boil just outside the garage in the driveway and everything else (cooling, pitching etc) in the garage. I preferred it over brewing in the kitchen. More space to work with, access to the outdoor hose...and beer fridge in the garage! Here's my basic setup...

image-556638646.jpg

image-1316057236.jpg

Awesome! I love brewing outdoors. I know a lot of folks love their indoor all electric systems, and those sure are awesome and convenient. But I love chilling around the back patio on a summer night with a bunch of friends & some homebrew for a relaxing brew session.

Equally as fun is during the winter when it's totally dark, any splashes immediately turn to ice, I can't feel my fingers, electronics are sluggish, I can't read any instruments (steam/breath), nose starts running, ice in chilling hose...dang I splashed my feet, walking in frozen ice blocks...on ice, propane tank froze & no pressure...awesome time. But alas, it's all worth it, because, beer.

retief said:
And how do i put a photo of me up? Seems to be impossible from my ipad?

If you are using the homebrew forum app all you need to do is select the + button on the header

image-1017567572.jpg

Easy

I use my gas stove, and it gets to a boil in about 15-20 minutes. If the instructions say to boil for an hour, how do I count the 15 minutes it takes to get to the boil? I normally don't start counting until the boil is really going.

I use my gas stove, and it gets to a boil in about 15-20 minutes. If the instructions say to boil for an hour, how do I count the 15 minutes it takes to get to the boil? I normally don't start counting until the boil is really going.

That time doesn't start until you add your bittering hops.

I picked up an outdoor burner (Bayou Classic SP10) at Lowes for $49 and made my last batch in the garage. Did the boil just outside the garage in the driveway and everything else (cooling, pitching etc) in the garage. I preferred it over brewing in the kitchen. More space to work with, access to the outdoor hose...and beer fridge in the garage! Here's my basic setup...

Is that the bayou classic 32qt SS pot? Looks like my setup!

But yeah, turkey fryer is the way to go. I got my SP10 on Amazon for $49 and it works well. Got my 5 gal of wort up to a boil in a hurry, and it's easy to fine tune so maintaining temperature was super easy, plus it's pretty light on propane.

Bought a turkey fryer at home depot this morning. Put it all together and put 5 gallons of water in it, made markings on it to set my temps and basically dialed everything in. It was a test run, did everything but make the beer haha. Now that im confident about using the fryer, i will finally be able to brew.

Sorry, i dont treat my wife like that. She deserves much more respect than that.

retief said:
Whats with all the removed posts?

Either the mods jumped in or if the poster of the offensive comments has a premium membership they can delete them themselves. Someone may have complained and reported the posts as offensive as well

Either way I'm glad they're gone, that guy was a complete a$$ hat!

duboman said:
Either the mods jumped in or if the poster of the offensive comments has a premium membership they can delete them themselves. Someone may have complained and reported the posts as offensive as well

Either way I'm glad they're gone, that guy was a complete a$$ hat!

I only saw his first comment. I bet his next bit of marraige advice was just as good tho.

Latest posts

Back