Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my annual supply of blades - 100 blades via Amazon. Shark Super Chromes, and they cost less than last year - $11.99 for 100. Ahhh, the sweet, sweet smell of thriftiness.

I love my DE and my SE razors. I use feather blades in both, I just find that the super sharp blade cuts my beard the best (without cutting my face).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Home Brew mobile app.

Just received my annual supply of blades - 100 blades via Amazon. Shark Super Chromes, and they cost less than last year - $11.99 for 100. Ahhh, the sweet, sweet smell of thriftiness.

I'm a Shark man myself. I have a full beard and only shave my neck, so the day I'll need to buy another 100 blades is in the distant future.

Whoa! Just found this wet shaving thread! Way cool, I have been wet shaving for years. I will never give in to the world of cartridge blades no matter how many blades they put on those things!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I swear by feathers too, and a merkur. I've saved so much money by switching to safety! Not to mention a far more comfortable shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Of the blades available I have tried and like Feather probably the best. Believe it or not, a very close second are the generic blades in the sampler I ordered from Amazon. Makes me wonder how many manufacturers there really are and which make what brands.

I also have a beard and find that wet shaving to keep it neat and then applying beard oil is the only way to fly. My beard is heavy and a little natural beard oil (also Amazon) conditions it and makes it less itchy when It's short and keeps the "beard flakes" (chin dandruff) off my shirt...ain't nobody likes seein that!

Feel like a new man every time!

Of the blades available I have tried and like Feather probably the best. Believe it or not, a very close second are the generic blades in the sampler I ordered from Amazon. Makes me wonder how many manufacturers there really are and which make what brands.

I also have a beard and find that wet shaving to keep it neat and then applying beard oil is the only way to fly. My beard is heavy and a little natural beard oil (also Amazon) conditions it and makes it less itchy when It's short and keeps the "beard flakes" (chin dandruff) off my shirt...ain't nobody likes seein that!

Feel like a new man every time!

Wet shaving makes it extremely easy to keep those nice beard lines.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Home Brew mobile app.

I use Red Israeli Personna blades. Tabac is the stuff I keep going back to for soap. I have had the Merkur Progress from almost the beginning.

Got into wet shaving because of two year long deployments to Iraq. Shaving every freaking day without respite with cartridges was tearing me up. The learning curve was pretty steep on using a DE after all those years of cartridges but it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I no longer dread shaving.

My Shave Gear.jpg

I use Red Israeli Personna blades. Tabac is the stuff I keep going back to for soap. I have had the Merkur Progress from almost the beginning.

Got into wet shaving because of two year long deployments to Iraq. Shaving every freaking day without respite with cartridges was tearing me up. The learning curve was pretty steep on using a DE after all those years of cartridges but it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I no longer dread shaving.

That's a nice combination. I have many soaps, but Tabac is definitely in the rotation. I have a 100 pack of the Astra blades, but found the Red Personnas to be good as well.

That's a nice combination. I have many soaps, but Tabac is definitely in the rotation. I have a 100 pack of the Astra blades, but found the Red Personnas to be good as well.

I like the RPs much better than the 100 pack of Derbys they replaced. SWMBO keeps buying me other stuff which might get into the rotation but the Tabac is the cornerstone.

Anyone else here use West Coast Shaving as their supplier?

Anyone else here use West Coast Shaving as their supplier?

I have used them in the past, I have been shopping around a lot lately, you can get some pretty good deals on drugstore.com occasionally. I picked up some eaton college cream there 2 for under $20

I caught this thread last night, and by the time I was a few pages into it, I had ordered a Merkur 34C and some Derby blades. Wish my face luck!

I caught this thread last night, and by the time I was a few pages into it, I had ordered a Merkur 34C and some Derby blades. Wish my face luck!

I agree with airplanedoc pick up a badger hair shave brush and some proper shave cream or shave soap, goo in a can just won't make the grade

I've been away for a good while, so I might as well catch up on my shave gear of note.

My daily shave piece is a "Joseph Smith & Sons celebrated razor 3415" straight edge, from approx 1850-1860 it's a fantastic 7/8 blade, with decent heft and keeps an edge nicely.

I've recently switched to Palmolive shaving cream in the tube. I was using expensive soaps etc, but this is cheap and very good. It's my main cream now and with the price I don't see myself buying expensive soaps all too often.

Soaps are a bit expensive yes, but they last a long time. I used to get my dad 2 pucks of cheapo williams shave soap each year for Christmas (its what he wanted). 2 Christmases ago I got him a puck of Mitchells Wool Fat. He is still using it. I have a rotation so I really can't say how long my soaps last but it has been a long time since I replaced one.

I have a Mitchells WF that I use and also a lime that I got two Xmas's ago that I haven't even opened yet...they all last for ages.

I agree with airplanedoc pick up a badger hair shave brush and some proper shave cream or shave soap, goo in a can just won't make the grade

I did. Nothing special. But good enough for starters.

I bought 2 different sample packs of blades. I've since made my decision on my "go to" blade & got 100 of those on Ebay for cheap! But now I got about 50 left of those less than perfect blades from places I would never ever visit.

I've sent a bunch to buddies @ B&B for free but I still got all these left. I can't just trash 'em. Some of them are so bad they only last 1 shave, then I gotta 86 'em.

I'm such a cheap SOB I can't just throw them away. I'll be so happy when they're gone and I can just relax with my favorite blade.

P.S. The goodies are made in Japan............................... hint, hint. :p

Yeah.. like many a person new to wet shaving I went through a semi-long stage of RAD/SBAD/SSAD/SCAD/BAD. I had, at one time 20 or so soaps, 10 tubes and 10tubs of cream, 5 different brushes, and 10 vintage DE razors.

I write it all off as to the learning curve. Initially I was NOT getting the great experience and of course, the horrible carpeneter I was at that time, I was blaming my tools. Once I learned what I was doing I ended up with a 22mm Golden NIB silvertip brush made by another B&Ber, my Merkur Progress, Tabac soap and Pinaud Bay Rum AS. Occasionally I will use a vintage Gillette red tip saved; the others were gifted to friends, family and coworkers. I still used creams once every couple weeks but for the most part I have no rotation which I hear others do.

But, all in all, this was the best grooming decision I ever made. I no longer dread shaving and after the initial outlay for the brush and the Progress it has been far cheaper than goo and cartridges.

I bought 2 different sample packs of blades. I've since made my decision on my "go to" blade & got 100 of those on Ebay for cheap! But now I got about 50 left of those less than perfect blades from places I would never ever visit.

I've sent a bunch to buddies @ B&B for free but I still got all these left. I can't just trash 'em. Some of them are so bad they only last 1 shave, then I gotta 86 'em.

I'm such a cheap SOB I can't just throw them away. I'll be so happy when they're gone and I can just relax with my favorite blade.

P.S. The goodies are made in Japan............................... hint, hint. :p

I started DE shaving ten months ago and have been working my way through sample blades as well (like you I'm too cheap to just ditch the ones I don't care for!). Didn't care for the Derbys, liked the Personna Reds, but also ultimately found myself to be a fan of the Feathers.

Did you just search on eBay or did you have a specific seller recommended to you? I'm a bit nervous about getting knock-offs, since the Feathers are a premium blade.

I started using Shark but switched over to Feather. They are amazing blades!! Really sharp and I get minimal irritation. I bought mine on Amazon. 30 blades for about $20. I don't shave everyday so a blade last me about 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'll use that term I 1st heard on B&B.............. YMMV.

I use the same brush & razor as always but I switch up my soaps & creams. Variety is the spice of life right?

I bought those Feathers on Ebay too. Check the seller's reputation. You'll know.

I will trip on the amount of extras folks buy. I saw 1 picture of a guy with 50 or more brushes, At $100 a piece.............. that can get rather expensive. I have the cheap Boar brush & expensive Merkur razor. But all these razors I have yet! Today I shaved with a no-name brand that I had to go over 4 or 5 times to cut the same hair. Ugh!

The 1st time I did a multi-pass shave with Uberlather on my Feathers. I was in LaLa land!

I'll use that term I 1st heard on B&B.............. YMMV.

I use the same brush & razor as always but I switch up my soaps & creams. Variety is the spice of life right?

I bought those Feathers on Ebay too. Check the seller's reputation. You'll know.

I will trip on the amount of extras folks buy. I saw 1 picture of a guy with 50 or more brushes, At $100 a piece.............. that can get rather expensive. I have the cheap Boar brush & expensive Merkur razor. But all these razors I have yet! Today I shaved with a no-name brand that I had to go over 4 or 5 times to cut the same hair. Ugh!

The 1st time I did a multi-pass shave with Uberlather on my Feathers. I was in LaLa land!

I use a merkur slant, a Wee Scott brush, and a old brush my dad had laying around that I put a best badger knot in. I have maybe 8 soaps, which I rotate 3-4 for fall and winter, and then grab whichever one suits my mood that day to use.

I have picked up a few super speeds just to clean and sell.

Yeah,

The fancy knots in an emotional handle is nice. Best of both worlds. I've been eyeing the slant for some time too. I have the barber pole right now and it's great. I love the length & weight. I didn't realize how good it really was until I just got back from a trip & used a BIC disposable.

Never again.

I use a merkur slant, a Wee Scott brush, and a old brush my dad had laying around that I put a best badger knot in.

Great deal there! One of my fondest and worst memories was my Dad "teaching" me how to shave when I was around 3. He had an extra Gillette red tip that he would take the blade out of and let me lather my face with Foamy and "shave" it all off along side him doing the real thing while sharing the mirror. Great memory there. The worst part was that I didn't know the difference between the one with the blade and the one without and tried it on my own one day. Cut my lip pretty badly.

Dad passed away pretty young 29 years ago and I have many mementos of him but none of the razors or brushes. I have already passed down the DE shaving to my 15 year old son. He is currently using canned foam but I will convert him on that too soon.

I don't really remember my dad ever using anything but soap and a brush, so it's just how I learned to shave. My first experience with canned goo was in college, and it didn't take me long to switch back to soap and brush. Now if I could only get him to give up bic disposable razors. The brush I put the new knot in was just something he bought at a antique store to "man up" the bathroom a bit, so he didn't really care if I put a new knot in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I began using shaving soap and a brush when I went to college when I was 18. My DE razor is the one my father used and my mother kept in a trunk of his things.

So three weeks ago, I shaved off the ol' goatee - no more beard. After a few days, maybe a week, of hit-and-miss technique, I've shaving my chin and upper lip like a pro now. Slows me down some, but I guess that makes sense, given I'm shaving a bigger area with more contours.

I just noticed this thread...the day this arrived. I used a DE razor as an early teen but it's been a long time. Hope I don't remove too much flesh tomorrow morning.

2014-05-09 19.16.49.jpg

I just noticed this thread...the day this arrived. I used a DE razor as an early teen but it's been a long time. Hope I don't remove too much flesh tomorrow morning.

What razor is that? Lots of short, light strokes is my basic advice. What blades are you using?

I still want to get my hands on a merkur slant bar. Though I admit I don't really use my safety razors much since my straight razor honing skills improved.

I have long used the olive oil in my shave cream bowl trick with great success, but recently I have switched to using a small (pea size) dollop of coconut oil added into my scuttle to melt before building my lather, this works amazingly well! Like the olive oil it's not greasy or slick after the shave but it really builds a lather and sooo smoothe during my shave.

I still want to get my hands on a merkur slant bar. Though I admit I don't really use my safety razors much since my straight razor honing skills improved.

I will eventually be going that route. I just don't know what to look for in a good straight razor...or how to use it.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Back