Wet Grains Before Dough-In?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverZero

Reaction score
I was just thinking about my upcoming brew day (today) and I had a thought. As a way to avoid dough balls and get my mash going more smoothly, does it make sense to wet the grains with cold water before adding the strike water? This is the same as adding corn starch to water and mixing before adding it to gravy, which keeps all the starches from "exploding" on contact with hot water and clumping.

Any thoughts on this?

My only thought is how would that mess up the calculations for the strike water temperature so that you reach the desired mash temperature?

If you're stirring good enough then there should be no problems with dough balls. I've done large grainbills in 1:1 ratios with no doughballs. You just need to stir your mash before covering it up.

Yeah, after brewing yesterday and not even worrying about it, I just did all the grain into the strike water at once and had no trouble with my paint stirrer drill attachment. 23 pounds at 1.5 quarts/pound.

Latest posts

Back